nathrao

Attire is a manifestation of the culture of a business and with a large number of businesses moving towards inculcating a more progressive and open culture at work, the dress code too is undergoing a change. In other countries where Unilever operates, dress codes are decided based on the relevance of the local culture and the prevailing weather conditions. In colder climates, people tend to wear jackets.
After Infosys, HUL allows smart casuals - The Times of India
Depending on the type of work and culture,dress regulations are changing.

From India, Pune
amodbobade

Hi Archana,

As you are in Wealth Management & Financial Services industry, I guess this is office job & follow a 6 day work-week.

In this case, yes HR can set up the dress code as no jeans on workdays, as the work involves meetings with customers & Jeans can be considered too casual for somebody handling your money.

If you follow 5 day work-week, then saturday working is over & above office curriculum, & hence dress code can be little flexible on that day.

You can ask employees to attend work, but deduct half a day's leave for the dress-code violation (Half day absence in compensation for “sending the employee home for changing the outfit”).

Don't worry for further degradation of company HR name.... HR name is always already degraded in every organization... :-)

I know of a big production company, where the parsi owner used to send male employees home even for not having shaved daily, & that company is very famous nationwide for its strong ethics & very good treatment to employees. These small things keep help office decorum & is not really the reason to offend employees..... Nobody resigns the office job for dress code reason.

Best Regards,

Amod Bobade.

r.nayana
In my opinion, a dress code can not be imposed absolutely though the company can have some guidelines for maintaining office decorum.
As such no amount of rules will define the right dress for office. It is to be left to the judgement of people to dress appropriately and provide them broad guidelines to adhere to. (e.g. writing "Formal shirt" will suffice instead of specifying "full sleeves shirt in pastel colours either plain or with stripes or...." etc) You may also list what will be considered inappropriate (like mini skirts or tattooing for example)
However in case a company observes non adherence to these guidelines, action can be taken. Afterall Dress code guidelines are part of a company policy and its violation will amount to disciplinary action.
This will include counselling as a first step, reprimand as second and subsequently, warning letter or sending employee home to change..... Just my views. Others are welcome to share theirs.
Regards,
Nayana

From India, Kolkata
nathrao

Dress code is one point which will generate vociferous view points in favour and aganist;

Latest trends in our corporate world:Now, Lenovo India relaxes dress code for employees - The Economic Times

Extract:Corporate image and luxury brand consultant Manjusha Maheshwari advocates formal dressing at the workplace, but admits that things are changing to address the needs of millennial workers. "It's a good idea to put employees through group sessions before instituting such changes, to help them understand the nuances of business casuals and to help define what works and what doesn't. Sloppiness in attire, if allowed to creep in, can affect the mood at the workplace."

Sloppiness in attire will affect mood in work place,precisely my view on the subject.

Further links:

Should dress codes be imposed at workplace? - The Economic Times

Extract;

Employees should be given a choice when it comes to professional attire, says SV Nathan, senior director and chief talent officer, Deloitte in India. "The current generation of workers looks for options and flexibility. Dress codes need not be imposed as long as employees are smartly dressed, especially for client interactions," he says. At his company, employees are generally seen in business casuals, and those in client-facing roles usually favour formals.

For those who feel casual dress is an expression of individuality and has no bearing on the quality of work,there are supportive view points from many in the industry.

Personally I feel work spots should be formal and dress be appropriately formal.

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.