Rajat Joshi

Hi Raaj,

Thanks for sharing this information and fully endorse this method as one of the selection tools - as i have been using it for the last one year.

It has a high success rate in terms of assessing the candidate's traits & personality which of course which needs to be validated during the interview process.

Must credit you for doing the certification course ..wish i had known about the same, however i learnt it on the job with the help of books( can't recall the name right now) and revalidating the behavior & traits with the existing employees.

Agree with you that one needs to be passionate about understanding the people's behavior and attitudes and possess great observation skills in order to become expert on this subject.

A must tool or rather "skill set" for all the HR professionals, if not get the experts to assist you.

However my experience shows that not many corporates have shown interests in this tool as yet as they are enamoured by the assessment tools but am sure they would realise its value and worth in due course of time.

Regards,

Rajat Joshi

From India, Pune
Rose07
Dear Raaj
You have mentioned that you are a certified graphologist . Could you please let me know from where are u undertaking the course, in Graphology and what is the mode for that , whether it is through distance or classroom teaching.
I am keen to know this in more detail.
Regards.

From United States, Allegan
Semina Sodawala
Hi Raaj,
I was very happy to find someone with similar interest. Graphalogy has laways been an area of interest for me and I have also tried learning throught certain books. however I feel that one cannot think of using this untill u have complete knowledge on the same. Being in the Hr field I feel that it is very useful and a gr8 tool to analyse people.
I would appreciate if you can give me some more details on the same. R there any courses available?? hw can one go abt it?
Please mail me the details on
Best regards,
SEMINA SODAWALA

From India, Mumbai
training_passion

Expressions of the face and gestures can easily be controlled and trained but the handwriting reveals all. But it must be emphasised that there is no one trait that is revealed by a single characteristic of handwriting. A complete analysis of all its features must be done before any conclusions are arrived at.

Decorative

A deliberate attempt is made to adorn the signature. It speaks of a flashy person who is egotistic and expresses himself in a dramatic manner.

Undistinguished

The signature is just like the person's normal handwriting. It shows that the person is straightforward, down-to-earth and without any pretensions.

Illegible

If the normal handwriting is clear and the signature is consciously illegible, the person may be apprehensive and want to camouflage his true personality and feelings.

Small

When the signature is kept short, though the name may be lengthy, the writer is reserved and humble, but will come straight to the point. When the signature is distinctly smaller than the normal handwriting, it shows the person may not realize his worth and may be humble and timid, or could be suffering from anxiety, depression or other emotional problems.

Large

When the signature is very large, though the name may be small, the writer is egoistic and ambitious and loves to socialize. When the signature is distinctly larger than the normal handwriting, it shows the person has willpower and confidence. If it is very much larger, the person could be a show-off and not someone very reliable.

Expanded

The person whose signature goes across the page seeks to attract attention at any cost. If the normal handwriting is also very large, the tendency is more pronounced.

Dissected

In this case the signature will have a stroke on it, either horizontal, vertical, partial or complete. It shows that the person wants to cancel out his own being. The writer may be dissatisfied with society, depressed or in extreme cases even suicidal.

Encircled

The circle around a signature, partial or complete, has two meanings. The writer may be protective about his near and dear ones or may be fearful of the environment. The circle is like a protective shield.

Abbreviated

The person who signs his first name only may be self-centered. This applies to signatures on important documents only and not personal letters or greetings.

Bifurcated

Here the surname appears below the first name, which indicates the writer wants to place himself above his family, in a controlling position.

Nonconfirmist

Some women continue to sign their maiden name after marriage instead of adopting the husband's name. This means she may have trouble disassociating herself from her parents. It could also mean she did not enter into marriage wholeheartedly. All this does not apply to women whose maiden name has earned recognition and fame; where changing it may cause confusion about her identity. Imagine if Steffi Graf were to start calling herself Steffi Agassi after marriage!

In general:

A youngster may try out different permutations and combinations of his first name, initials and surname. Such signature should be horizontal or slanted upwards. A downward slant shows negative traits. This principle applies to everyone. So the next time you look at a signature you will have a better idea of what the person's mental make-up is.

Deepak Sharma

From India, Delhi
training_passion

(IInd Part)

The Directions and Zones of Handwriting

In this part we will look at the directions and zones of handwriting. This will be a more in-depth analysis of the science of graphology. Handwriting moves in both the horizontal and the vertical planes. In the horizontal plane there are three directions: leftwards or backwards, upright or vertical, rightwards or forwards. In the vertical plane there are three zones: the upper, the middle, and the lower.

Letters containing upper lengths, which extend into the upper zone are: b, d, h, k, l, t as well as all capitals. Letters which are limited to the middle zone are a, c, e, m, o, r, s, u, v, w, x. Letters containing lower lengths, which extend into the lower zone, are: g, j, p, q, y, and z. Only the letter f occupies all three zones. As followers of Freud would say, handwriting symbolises the relationship of the ego to its objects (environment). Therefore every rightward impulse of the writer expresses his desire to reach out to the world. The more the handwriting leans forward, the more the person is an extrovert. If the writing approximates to the perpendicular, the less willing is the person to reach out to the world. If the handwriting leans backward, the more the tendency towards introversion.

The forward sloping writer is the extrovert who wants to make an impression on people and things. The backward-sloping writer is the introvert who is concerned with the inner world of thoughts and feelings and visions. The perpendicular writer is neutral with moderate degrees of extroversion and introversion in his make-up. And if a writer oscillates between a forward-sloping and backward-sloping script he is ambivalent in his attitudes to the world and life. Of course, no writing is absolutely sloping in one particular direction. What is important is the overall, predominant slope.

When the writing instrument moves into the upper zone, this is effected by means of the extensor muscles. This is a movement away from the writers body and symbolises a psychological sphere of reflection and meditation, of abstraction and speculation - one that is unaffected by material considerations. But when the writing instrument moves into the lower zone, this is effected by means of the flexor muscles. And this is a movement towards the writers body and symbolises a psychological sphere of primitive instinct and materialism, or irrationality. It should be noted, too, that whereas the flexor movements are accompanied by slight feelings of pleasure, the extensor movements are accompanied by feelings of displeasure.

Between the upper and the lower zones is the middle zone and this symbolises the balance between the required social and the instinctual spheres of personality, the dynamic equilibrium, the practical adjustment demanded of every living organism. These remarks apply equally to extreme leftward-sloping writing, to extreme introversion. Written language recognises this in that the letters of the alphabet permit the writer to express his meaning more clearly by extensions into both the upper and the lower zones. Some detouring into the upper and the lower zones is required if our communication is to be meaningful. And the danger with extreme rightward-sloping handwriting is that it looks more like a straight line. Extreme extroversion (like the extreme use of the middle zone flattened to the thickness of a tapeworm) would indicate the meaninglessness of the extreme extroverts mind.

Thready writing can be diagnostic of nervous excitability, of low resistance, of indecision or of hysteria. And in Hitler's signature, the letters topple over each other towards the right, attempting to achieve the theoretical straight line of meaningless communication.

Deepak Sharma

From India, Delhi
training_passion

The last Part

Analysing script size, slant and width

In this part we look at the interpretations, positive and negative, of the size of the script, the slant or writing angle and the width and narrowness.

Size of Script

The size of a script symbolises fundamentally the writers assessment of himself. It is evaluated from the size of the small letters: 1/8 inch or 3 mm is the normal size.

A large script can be interpreted positively as superiority, seriousness, pride, generosity. Negatively it can be interpreted as arrogance, conceit, pomp and boastfulness.

A small script can be interpreted positively as devotion, respectfulness, humility, tolerance. Negatively it could mean feelings of inferiority, faint-heartedness, lack of confidence, fear, etc.

Slant or Writing-Angle

There are three main slants or writing angles:

(a) Right-slant

(b) Upright

(c) Left-slant

The right slant symbolises extroversion and progression, an outward movement towards world and life.

The upright script symbolises distance and self-sufficiency as far as world and life are concerned.

The left slant symbolises introversion and regression, an inward movement towards the ego, away from world and life.

The right slanting script (with a writing angle of 95-145 degrees) can be interpreted positively as activity, sympathy, sociability or expressiveness. Negatively it can be interpreted as restlessness, haste, immoderateness or hysteria.

The upright script (with a writing angle of 85-95 degrees) can be interpreted positively as neutrality, dominance of reason, self-control or reserve. Negatively it can be interpreted as egotism, lack of pity, coldness or rigidity.

The left-slanting script (with a writing angle of less than 85 degrees) can be interpreted positively as self-denial, self-control, reserve or conservative-mindedness. Negatively it can be interpreted as affectation, egotism, withdrawal or fear of the future.

A right-slanting script with a writing angle of more than 145 degrees should be interpreted negatively, so should a left-slanting script with a writing angle of less than 60 degrees.

Width and Narrowness

In wide writing the distance between the downstrokes of small letters is greater than the height. In normal writing the distance between the downstrokes of small letters is equal to the height.

In normal writing the distance between the downstrokes of small letters is equal to the height.

In narrow writing the distance between downstrokes of small letters is less than the height.

Wide writing symbolises extroversion, a centrifugal (outward) movement towards world and life. There can be elan, and expansion, sympathy and vivacity. There are no inhibitions in personal relationships.

A narrow writing symbolises introversion, a centripetal (inward) movement towards the ego. There can be inhibition or self-control, modesty or timidity. There are inhibitions in personal relationships

Deepak Sharma

From India, Delhi
neeru6

Hi Raj
I am not certified for Graphology but I have a knack for Handwriting analysis and I have done it successfully. I had been into counselling for around last 5 years. Presently I am pursuing my MBA in HR and M.Sc. in Psychology from distance education and also I am working as a Sr. Associate-Accounts and Finance with placement consultancy.
I am based at Delhi(North) and would love to do a job in this sector or even if any freelance work comes to me.
If anything you can guide me with, I'll really appreciate that.
Awaiting some learning and guidance from you
Neeru Agarwal

098711 51452

From India, Delhi
amitavk
Hi,
Quite an interesting topic you have stirred up. I have very very limited knowledge of this. I do tend to see and try to evaluate signature styles. I would be highly interested if you can share some more infor. at Thanks!!
Amitav k.

From India, Delhi
svsrana

Raaj, i have seen very few cos using the same, primarily due to lack of perceived benefits/awareness levels... a close friend of mine, supreme court lawyer does use it in civil cases though... surya
From India, Delhi
Sridar
Hi Deepak,
I am very much interested to study about the people behaviour like facial expressions, bod language, handwriting anaylsis.
Being in a HR field I love to do course on Hand writing analysis (Graphology)... The information which you provided had given me a basic knolwedge on the Graphology, could you please guide which is the best book for studying Graphology or any Certification is there for Graphology?
Thanks in anticipation
Regards,
Sridar

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.