No Tags Found!

swatisri@123

Dear All, Please guide me on how to evaluate human resource utilization for any specific team.
What should be the formula, process or the right way to do it?

Please guide at the earliest! It's important.

From India, Delhi
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Swatisri,

While raising the query, I wish you had provided adequate information. What is the nature of the industry, in which department does the team work, what kind of work does the team handle, do they handle the project(s), etc?

At the organisational level, you can measure the HCROI. A few years ago, I gave an in-depth explanation of HCROI. You can click here to refer to it.

Otherwise, there was a query on the measurement of the ROI on human resources. To refer to my reply, you can click here.

It is a norm to measure the number of employees to room ratio in the hotel industry.

But the better way of measuring human resource utilisation is "Revenue per employee". Take the case of IT companies, this ratio speaks for itself. However, this ratio has demerits and is also deceptive. Therefore, the last resort is to measure "Profit per employee".

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
swatisri@123

Dear Dinesh, I appreciate for your quick response. We are the IT based company based in DELHI/ NCR. I will go through with your reply ! Thanks for your response. Regards, Swati Srivastava
From India, Delhi
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Swatisri,

In the second post of this thread also, you have not given complete information. What kind of work did the employees do?

If it was a project-based work, the following measures may be used to measure the work:

a) The number of software codes written by the software professionals
b) The number of manhours taken to write those software codes
c) The ratio of software codes to the manhours
d) How many bugs were found by the testing team and what was the bugs to codes ratio?
e) How many manhours were spent on rework?
f) % of rework manhours against the total manhours

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar
+91-9900155394

P.S.: - I provide consulting services to establish a comprehensive Performance Management System (PMS). While establishing the PMS, I develop KPIs to measure human resource utilisation, machine utilisation, etc. My activities surpass the usual measurements mentioned in the Balanced Score Card (BSc). If you wish to avail of my paid services, then feel free to approach me. Thanks.

From India, Bangalore
raghunath_bv

Dear Swatisri

Evaluating human resource utilization for a specific team involves assessing how effectively and efficiently team members are utilizing their time, skills, and resources to achieve the team's objectives. Here's a structured approach to guide you through the process:

Define Objectives and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs):
Clearly define the team's objectives and key results they are expected to achieve.
Identify specific KPIs that measure the team's performance and utilization. These could include project deadlines met, task completion rates, productivity metrics, etc.
Identify Resources:
List out all the resources available to the team, including personnel, equipment, software, and any other necessary resources.

Collect Data:
Gather data on how team members are allocating their time and utilizing resources. This can be done through timesheets, task tracking software, project management tools, or manual surveys.

Calculate Utilization Metrics:
Utilization Rate: Calculate the percentage of time team members spend on productive activities compared to their total available time.
The formula is:
Utilization Rate =Total productive hours
Total available hours×100%
Utilization Rate= Total available hours
Total productive hours ×100%
Task Completion Rate: Measure the percentage of tasks completed within a given timeframe.
Project Efficiency: Assess how efficiently projects are completed compared to initial estimates or benchmarks.
Resource Allocation: Evaluate how resources are distributed among team members and projects.

Analyze Results:
Compare actual performance against targets and benchmarks.
Identify areas of inefficiency, such as underutilized resources or bottlenecks.
Look for patterns or trends in resource allocation and utilization.
Identify Improvement Opportunities:
Based on the analysis, pinpoint areas where improvements can be made to enhance utilization and performance.
Consider reallocating resources, optimizing processes, providing additional training, or adjusting workload distribution.

Implement Changes:
Develop an action plan to address the identified improvement opportunities.
Communicate changes to the team and stakeholders.
Monitor the impact of changes over time.

Continuous Monitoring and Adjustment:
Regularly review utilization metrics and performance indicators.
Make adjustments as needed to optimize resource allocation and improve efficiency.
Ensure ongoing communication and collaboration within the team to address any emerging issues or opportunities.

Human resource utilization is not just about maximizing productivity but also ensuring the well-being and satisfaction of team members. Striking a balance between productivity and employee engagement is key to long-term success.

Thanks

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.