kanagalakshmi
Hi friends I want to know whether it is correct to categorise attitudes in to high, medium and low level. please clarify
From India, Tirunelveli
jitendra_patil

Hey....
Ppl have a misconception about the word "ATTITUDE"
I often hear ppl say "My God, That chick has "Attitude"...
The gross ignorance is way above the permitted level....
anyways...
Attitude is defined as - "Hypothetical construct that represents an individual's degree of like or dislike for an item."
There are only TWO types of Attitude..
1) Positive
2) Negative
When I show you something, you either like it or you dont...
similarly in an organization, ppl will like the work - Positive Attitude
or they will not - Negative Attitude...
Simple... You cant say, I like the work a little or I dont like the work a little...
Reply,
Regards,
Jeet

From India, Pune
Mahr

Dear kanagalakshmi, You are suppose to give an explanation on the question which you had posted as people are acknowledging the post...
From India, Bangalore
kishore592b

Dear Ms. Kanagalakshmi
The level of attitude cannot be categorise/define as low, high or medium. It can only be either positive or negative. But from my point of view ATTITUDE has to be 100% to achieve the desired results.
How I tell you. If you take A-1, B-2, C-3, D-4...............Z-26. If you sum up corresponding word with figure, you would find it as 100%.
Regards
Anoop

From India, Delhi
nashbramhall

Dear All,
I take this opportunity to appeal to all that we should first search the web before posting our query and when we post give as much information about the context and the reason for posting the query. This will help generate discussions that will be enlightening and useful.
Had Kanagalaksmi searched the web using Google, for example, she would have found a number of links at attitude measurement scales - Google Search
Have a nice day
Simhan
A retired academic in UK

From United Kingdom
David Wilson

Dear Simhan (Super Moderator)
Amazing reply to this query by you as a Super Moderator !! Alas!! I wonder how come a senior person like you give a vague and irresponsible reply like this. Offcourse, everything is available in net (for that matter). Then why should people like kanagalakshmi come here to search for her querry? Your answer is like avoid schools and colleges to learn since we have internet to know everything. Is that right?
Anyhow, coming to the query of Kanagalakshmi -
Yes Attitude (though intangible) can be classified as you said viz. High, medium and low.
But only thing is you have to define what is high (as applicable to your organisation) then deploy measuring scales accordingly. (for ex. you can fix a rating scale 1-10 where 8 to 10 is high and 4to 8 is medium and 1 to 4 is low) however, you have to fix the attitudinal attributes for each scales too.

From India, Kochi
nashbramhall

Dear David,
As a retired academic, I teach people to become independent learners rather than spoon-feed them. Had you taken the trouble to see the papers available at the site indicated, you would have found that there are articles that discuss attitude scales starting from Thurstone scale.
My wife complimented on your English.
Have a nice day.
Simhan
[QUOTE=David Wilson;1028194]Dear Simhan (Super Moderator)
Amazing reply to this query by you as a Super Moderator !! Alas!! I wonder how come a senior person like you give a vague and irresponsible reply like this. Offcourse, everything is available in net (for that matter). Then why should people like kanagalakshmi come here to search for her querry? Your answer is like avoid schools and colleges to learn since we have internet to know everything. Is that right?

From United Kingdom
leenadey1
hello
Attitudes are evaluative statements/ inclination towards objects and human beings. It defines the way we look at things.

Example: ‘Children are naughty.’ ‘Women are mentally strong.’

So it cannot be refered to as high low or medium

Attitude can also be said to an individual's characteristic way of responding consistently in favourable or unfavourable manner to objects events or people in his environment.

I hope the answer is to your satisfaction

Thank You

Leena

From India, Mumbai
tdjoshi

Dear Friend;

Greetings;

As I have found out from "Wikipedea" An attitude is a hypothetical construct that represents an individual's degree of like or dislike for an item. Attitudes are generally positive or negative views of a person, place, thing, or event-- this is often referred to as the attitude object. People can also be conflicted or ambivalent toward an object, meaning that they simultaneously possess both positive and negative attitudes toward the item in question.

Attitudes are judgments. They develop on the ABC model (affect, behavior, and cognition). The affective response is an emotional response that expresses an individual's degree of preference for an entity. The behavioral intention is a verbal indication or typical behavioral tendency of an individual. The cognitive response is a cognitive evaluation of the entity that constitutes an individual's beliefs about the object. Most attitudes are the result of either direct experience or observational learning from the environment.

T D Joshi

Visiting Faculty

From India, Vadodara
David Wilson

Dear Leena,
If the Attitude is defined as what you have mentioned here, then it can be measured too.
What you have referred to attitude here, are all adjectives. (Adjectives have degrees, when there is a degree then there is a measurement). this is a general logic.
But, as Mr Simhan said in his earlier post, had you looked into the history of attitudinal measurement then you would not have come to this conclusion. Please refer to Mr Simhan's post, wherein he has mentioned about Thurston scale too.
Thanks Mr Simhan for your inputs (but offcourse, for asking a query the case is different). Thanks Mrs Simhan for your compliments.
With best regards
David Wilson

From India, Kochi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.