Saachi

Food for Soul:

A small story with a thought for life!

An elderly carpenter was ready to retire. He told his employer, a building contractor, of his plans to leave the house building business and live a more leisurely life with his wife enjoying his extended family. He would miss the paycheck, but he needed to retire. They could get by.

His employer was sorry to see his good worker go and asked if he could build just one more house as a personal favor. The carpenter said yes, but it was easy to see that his heart was no longer in his work. He had lost his enthusiasm and had resorted to shoddy workmanship and used inferior materials. It was an unfortunate way to end his career.

When the carpenter finished his work and his boss came to inspect the new house, the contractor handed the front-door key to the carpenter. "This is your house," he said, "my gift to you."
What a shock! What a shame! If he had only known he was building his own house, he would have done it all so differently. Now he had to live in the home he had built none too well.

So it is with us. We build our lives in a distracted way, reacting rather than acting, willing to put up less than the best. At important points we do not give the job our best effort. Then with a shock we look at the situation we have created and find that we are now living in the house we have built for ourselves. If we had realized, we would have done it differently.

Think of yourself as the carpenter. Think about your house. Each day you hammer a nail, place a board, or erect a wall. Build wisely. It is the only life you will ever build. Even if you live it for only one day more, that day deserves to be lived graciously and with dignity.

The plaque on the wall says, "Life is a do-it-yourself project." Who could say it more clearly? Your life today is the result of your attitudes and choices in the past. Your life tomorrow will be the result.

I hope this story can make us think about our life in different and that too in a positve manner.....

Tell me if you like it....!!

Cheers!! :)
Rupal

From India, Delhi
rachelprakash
how true that life is a do-it-yourself project. each action, each step decides the direction of this project.
thanks for this ppt. it is a gentle yet a very forceful reminder of who should be controlling our lives.
rachel

From India, Anand
pmunjal2k1

Superb Story, Rupal!! Read my post on Human values, plz and do let me know about that!! pankaj
From India, Ghaziabad
Cite Contribution

Hi Rupal,
Thanks for sharing. Got a request, when you are sharing a peice of knowledge that had been shared with you as an email or you read it from a site, please mention the source. We all grow when we share . Hence lets grow together and credit the source .
I look forward to your take on the story shared by you.
Regards,
(Cite Contribution)

From India, Mumbai
Saachi

Thats a really nice suggestion (Cite Contribution)....Well this story was forwaded to me by one of my frds....so actual source must be any website sharing motivational stories.... Cheers! Rupal
From India, Delhi
Cite Contribution

Thanks Rupal,
I appreciate that, a suggestion, you can mention the link . Please do keep sharing . I wait to read your take .
For me this story is the best example of personal initiative taken to create a difference without calculating quick returns . Selfless actions with best intentions brings in best results :)
Regards,
(Cite Contribution)

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.