No Tags Found!

saurabh.pm
Hi..again! Can you plz tell me about the placements scenario in the industry now. Is the market stable enough...:confused: We are graduating next year....Help me out.
From India, Ranchi
singhps21@indiatimes.com

Although companies have started hiring again but it surely isn't the way it used to be before recession & more emphasis is on Sales / BPO hiring. Other streams are still having a difficult time to get placed well.

Now even before hiring a single resource companies want to be convinced enough that this resource is actually needed which means no unecessary headcount.

Given the fact that you both are from HR so more extra efforts are going to be needed in a time like this. HR itself is a department where people are not required dime a dozen & the way market is now, most of the companies are trying to make it lean.

If you people are from well known colleges & even if you are not its better you make a placement committe or if you already have one then start working with them & try to pitch for big/medium/small companies by giving them presentation about your HR course & try to check with them if they are hiring candidates for HR role.

As i said this time around as a personal opinion i think a lot of effort will be required to get placed in HR roles in companies.

Best of Luck to both of you & I hope that both of you will land up in good HR roles.

From India, Delhi
madhuu
hello prashant,
thanx for ur suggestions. as a fresher what sort of knowledge base i.e. just the regular HR knowledge or the more contemporary issues and trends in HR, is required to get that edge? also, are there any special courses that employers generally look for in HR candidates? and most importantly are there any scope of renowned cos hiring HR candidates (fresher)? if so which?
kindly help.

From India, Calcutta
Priya.Sam
Prashant sir,
We have already given the presentations at bnglore,kolkta & Delhi..have plans for mumbai too.I can say that i am from a good insti,you might have heared of it (XISS,Ranchi..) our alumni base is very strong.You plz be in touch sir,your inputs are useful for us.If its fine with you plz forward your mail add....
Thanx.......

From India, Calcutta
singhps21@indiatimes.com

Priya,
Indeed you are from a good college but again this time around things are still quite dicey. I am assuming that if you are from XISS then Campus for you guys should be good enough. XISS holds a good reputation among corporates.
Along with Mumbai be at Hyderabad & Chennai too.
Your college has got quite a good alumni population & lot of them are very well placed in highly reputed corporates also.
Get in touch with your alumni specially senior/medium ones & check with them if they can help you guys in the placements. They can be a excellent source for you to get placed or to get leads to placements.

From India, Delhi
Priya.Sam
Thanks sir,campus is good but this year its looking a little dim but yeah we have our fingers crossed..I am in touch with few of our alumni in banglor.Thanx for taking out so much time & effort for us.Plzz be in touch..Sir where are you from?if i may ask..
From India, Calcutta
singhps21@indiatimes.com

Madhuu,

Different HR people have different perceptions on what they want to look into a candidate /prospective employee. For some its strong conceptual knowledge, for some its confidence level etc.

But as a standard “to start with” I guess almost all HR people would like the fresher

a) To be sound in the theoretical concepts (that’s the bare minimum expected out of the person that whatever he/she has studied should be on his/her tips ,if not all then at least most of it. )

The only thing what a fresher has in offering is KNOWLEDGE what he has occupied in these 2 years & if one is not able to showcase it then it’s a waste.

I remember asking a fresher during the interview if he can just tell me overall how many subjects he studied during his MBA in 2 years & I will put him to next round & he wasn’t able to answer.

b) If one has acquired knowledge about the latest happenings in HR or Contemporary issues & trends in HR nothing better than that & it surely impresses the Interviewer but one should try to present this knowledge during the interview process while answering the regular questions of the interviewer by trying to present this knowledge through examples etc Or try to link this knowledge somehow while answering those questions.

According to me it won’t be really very impressive if without even asking you start telling the Interviewer the whole information about “Phantom Stock Option”.

c) Third thing will be articulation. No matter how knowledgeable you are OR how much you know if you are not able to articulate that knowledge well enough in front of a interviewer with full confidence (mind it not OVER CONFIDENCE) then it won’t really give you the edge what you are trying to gain.

Not only during the interview process but even when you are in HR job you have to be articulative enough in your work so that people get the right message from you & at the same time has to be very careful with what you say or what you write because HR is one job which creates a balancing act between management & employees & is a crucial one also, so one wrong thing said or sent in written & it immediately creates a problem for the HR person.

As far as doing some additional courses at fresher level are concerned surely one can go ahead & can do some courses & MAY BE they will gain some mileage out of it but according to me these additional courses actually generates value when one has acquired some working experience then courses like Certification in Psychometric Test OR Some Certificate Course in Training in Development OR something in OD etc will be adding weightage to the person’s profile.

Last part of your question I wasn’t able to understand so if you can explain that again I will try to answer that also.

From India, Delhi
madhuu
thanx a ton prashant sir for these information. in the last part of my previous question i wanted to know that if renowned companies that have best practices in HR and other fields hire a fresher for the HR post. since most of the "good" companies requires at least 2-5 yrs of exp(which i don't have!). again proffessors at college emphasizes that the first job should be at a "good" company as that will provide broad exposure. so i'm in fix basically as to what i should do.
From India, Calcutta
singhps21@indiatimes.com

Maduu,

Definitely some very good companies do go to Campuses to hire freshers (choice of campuses can be their own decision) but yes they do hire freshers.

Although if you understand that HR is one filed where huge departments are not needed unlike sales/marketing etc. so the numbers always remain few in the HR deptt. & that's why you don’t have companies in bulk visiting campuses to hire HR freshers.

There are certain exceptions to this fact also where some companies do have good number of people in HR specializing in different fields like someone in Comp& Ben, other in recruitment, one in Performance Management, someone in HR operations, someone in Training & Development but these kind of companies are not too many in number in India. Maximum people are found in Recruitment Team.

Don't have the misconception that "Good Companies" hire only people with 2-3 years experience. Although it is a personal choice of the GOOD COMPANIES to go to well known campuses like XLRI,TISS,SIBM,SCMHRD,MHROD when it comes to fresher level hiring but not necessarily it can be the case all the time. They can visit any campus where they think that they can get quality candidates.

But In a time like today it will be difficult for me to comment that whether this time around how many good companies or Companies will really be going to campuses to hire freshers.

Why your professor says that your first job should be in a good company is because in big or good companies HR processes are very well defined, well implemented, & well run so the fresh person gets ample of opportunity to learn new things & actually gets a very fair understanding why something has been done & how it has been done.

Secondly when someone spends a decent amount of time working in HR in a big brand name than it becomes easier for him /her to cash it in future either in terms of Role OR in terms of Money OR both when he plans to make a switch to another company.

Also would like to share with you that it is not necessary that only Good Companies or Big Companies only provide Good HR Exposure. Lot many times some small companies also gives a fantastic HR exposure.

From India, Delhi
madhuu
thanx once again prashant sir for clearing my doubts. basically i'm doing my MBA (HR) from not so "branded" institutes that u have mentioned. that's why i'm a bit apprehensive abt my situation since i am dependent on my institute in this case (also i'm trying on my own). but i know that i'm a fast learner and have the appetite to learn and grow. hopefully that should help me in the long run! i would really like to add u in my contacts list if that's ok with u! and can i get back to u if there r queries regarding this proffession in future. it'll be a real help then.
thanx n regards,
madhulika

From India, Calcutta
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.