NKTiwari

Dear Manu: Satish has given the perfect answer. Nothing can be added or deleted. Well answered Mr. Satish. regards NKT
From United States, Cambridge
NKTiwari

Dear Manu: For Compensatory Off (whether against off-day or for working on declared holiday) generally two months timer are given for availing of the same else it gets lapsed. regards NKT
sateesh chandra

Hiten,
I shall make a fresh attempt to help you understand the subject.
Weekly Off is a Paid day
Declared Holiday is also a paid day.
Paid Days are the one when employees get paid without working on such days.
Such Paid Holidays are applicable to everyone.
If for some administrative resons due to organizational work, some employees are not able to avail the same, would you debar them on some sentimental grounds. Just because, they availed their weekly off. No, in such cases, employees need to be compensated either by cash equivalent to one day salary or compensatory off in lieu of.
Hope, I am able to clarify this.
Regards,
Sateesh

From India, Bangalore
NKTiwari

Mr. Satish/Mr. Hiten:
Normally the staff personnels are allowed weekly off or rest day as a paid day but when it is the case of workmen they get only 26 days pay in a month. They get the rest/weekly off day but not the pay for the day( It is written in F.A to provide a rest day after working for 6 days or 48 hours ........)
But the declared hoildays are paid holidays and their compensation has to be awarded as you have rightly stated.
regards
NKT

Helen Raj

Dear Manu,
There is no such entitlement for an employee to have compensatory holiday for a holiday, which appears on a weekly off, declared by government. In each dept. everbody has a specific day as their WOff. So whenever holidays appear on WOffs can a company give to everybody the same. Please think about it. An employee can use that particular day as either a Week Off or a Holiday. Its his choise. No need to give them a C Off.
Helen

meghal_shah2000

Dear Manu

I would like to quote herewith the past Hr policies. Around 8-10 years back this policiy was in effect, which states that if any employee works on week off or official declared off days, it will be consider as the overtime and will be paid accordingly. I don't say that this might not be in use, but in present HR policies, no. of companies have removed the concept of overtime itself. Again into this rule, the week off would be declared for those whose shift falls on week end day or official leave day.

there are certain rules and regulations which are not connected to laws, but they should be acceptable by both the parties affected by the law.

As far your case is concerned, if there week off was on 25th and they didnt work on that day, that means it they have availed both the holidays (that is week off and 25th), the argument to this is that if 25th would have fall on sunday, would they get a extraday leave off. Infact the rule which I have mentioned here is accepted and implimented by No. of shopping malls and security companies.

Let me advice to my fellow HR professionals, that as HR we should bridge the gap between the employees and managment, but that doesnot mean we need to be emotional.

Regards

From India, Mumbai
Hr. Khaiser Ali Shah

Dear All,
In reply to the point raised by Mr. Meghal Shah and all other having similar comments, I would like to add that infact we being HR professional should also focus on motivation of an employee to have a fair organizational culture and motivation starts from emotions so we have to be emotional too.
Keeping in view the motivation of employees I strongly suggest that an extra day-off should be given to the employees whose weekly off fell on 25th of December.
If 25th of December would fall on Sunday it was not a problem of motivation because this is a natures demand but unlike other companies, in this particular case this company is working throughout week without giving all employees Sunday as a holiday.
Hopes I supported my judgement I posted in this thread.
Regards,
Khaiser Ali Shah

From Saudi Arabia, Riyadh
tsivasankaran

Yes I agree with Satheesh Chandra on this subject
Few more clarifications, I thought I would add
1. All employees who need to be paid Over Time, then you should pay that extra wages pointed out by Mr Sateesh Chandra
2. Other supervisory and Mangerial levels are entitled to one extra Compensatory Off
Siva

From India, Chennai
Jeroo Chandiok

What Sateesh and Helen say is correct. Legally, there is no need to give compensatory off when statutory or agreed-upon holidays fall on weekly offs. This does not only occur on Christmas, but on other holidays falling on weekly offs, and legally speaking, there is no need to compensate for such days.
However, each company is free to follow its own policy on such occasions, and there are companies who allow compensatory offs. But if they do so, it must be on all similar occasions, not only on 25th December.
Also, when they do give such offs, they should clearly indicate that this is as per their own policy, and not as followed by the majority of companies, because this is not the case.
HR managers must be free to opt for either screnario depending upon their own company policy, and not on what others say or do.
Jeroo

From India, Mumbai
tsivasankaran

Legally no need to give compensatory off But legally they are entitled to extra wage Is that right or is there a doubt or contrary view on this? Siva
From India, Chennai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.