No Tags Found!

Pramod57
This is one of those policy that have sprung from the briliantly weird HR guy ( although I am also one ) . , This policy lacks rationale , unless there is a covincing rationale , it shoud be flouted without any fear . There shall be many more like her in the same organisation .
Therefore first question it and seek rationale , if you are convinced then only follow it . There are companies and jobs that have grooming standards , but there is rationale to it e.g. an air hostess that have uniform may not allow a bindi to ensure that there is an uniformity or restrict as to what should be visible . There are companies that ban rings , otherthan the wedding / engagement rings , for employees that are customer facing . The restriction must pass test of reasonabilty and functionality , otherwise it can be called as arbitary .
Pramod .

From India, Mumbai
deepankar_sadhukhan
Firmly believe that the values of an organisation should echo through the values of its people & who govern them...values like Respect & humility for every person, from all cultures, irrespective of marital status, sex, caste, etc should be of paramount interest. A culture that can't show respect to these primary things is not worthy of being called so.
Dignity of employees & their sensibilities should be taken care of.
The lady in question should consult HR about solutions that are constructive, ethical & value driven in nature .. if required people should be made to understand the importance of treating employees with due respect & dignity.
If the decision remains unchanged, the company is not worth working with...

From India, Panaji
devs1180

Dear all
Wearing a mangalsutra or not is a personal decision or it might be the demand of professional life. I have no special comments on this
but
after going through all the post one can easily make out that a serious sensitization, orientation and training on Gender and Development is required by many people.

From India, Delhi
dvphanindra
Dear All,
I see a different picture. But before commenting few clarifications: Is it a non Indian company/Indian? Where the dress code and other guidelines signed by the employee? Was she married before this job or during this job? Need of the job gravity?

From India, Vijayawada
hskanwar
The issue must be taken up with management. It is question of your values and it in no way hampers the performance. In case the 'selection rules' had laid down that married ladies will not be recruited for this job, compliance can be demanded. Otherwise no. Tommorrow it will be 'sindhoor' and so on.
Take on the challenge and meet HR.
Wish u all the best
Harry

From India, Delhi
parthasarthi

Company has liberated your sister from draconian practices of so called "MANGALSUTRA" a symbol of slavery of women to man.
Today's world offer many opportunities to women and these feudal systems in the name of religion, culture and sentments only distorted the image of women over the years and centuries.
Indian women has to overcome these issues. I appreciate managment stand not to entertain medieval age practices when society by and large was male dominance and they were inculcating practices to satisfy the male ego and women as commodities and material.
Althought, I disagree with this issue has no HR angle its purely management practices related to particular business enviorment.
Partho

From Saudi Arabia
krishnavat75

Dear All

I am neither trying to jeopardising the traditional values & emotions connected to wearing mangal sutra but putting my views on this sensitive issue.

For a married woman all ornaments has a significance and the same is related to his husband somehow. I mean she should wear ornaments when she is in family or with family members, if we are talking about profession, professional people has their set of rules based on the business guidelines wherein we met different different people everyday as per business need which don't require all these. Do not make Mangal Sutra an issue which is quite personal for you. Keep with you in your purse and while going back to family put on, your hubby & inlaws will be more happy to see you respect their values & tradition.

Yes!!!!! In professional life I don't think Mangal Sutra, Chudaa and other stuff which women employees are wearing is required.

For example : Why womens are not wearing nose pin / nathni / maang tikka in office because they feel somewhat uncomfortable with all these bridal jewellery stuff during working, similarly mangal sutra can also be avoided just for working hours.

Regards,.....Shiv

From India, New Delhi
Sheethal Upadhyay
Looks like her company is indirectly telling her that she has done a crime by getting married , this is really hites man !!!!
I personally feel she had been recruited for her potenial and skills , and not because of her being a single for ever .
She got to put down her foot and say that she would be wearing her mangalsuthra and working , and if it does not work , please tel her to move on with her career with an other firm, rather than a firm which does not look in enthics of human culture and more into status of an individual .
Regards,
Sheethal

From India
Sanjaykhandagle
You have to check with the HR Department whether there is any type of formal dress code policy and this point is stated in it. As a transparent culture she has the right to know about it and get the convincing reason for bringing this change. If a valid reason is mentioned and this is the requirement of the job, the staff has to abide by it.

The law does not state anything on this but the companies have to respect the individual beliefs and the requirements of the land. The companies have to communicate this type of decisions to the staff in advance and also avoid such issues where it might give a political angel, which will disturb the business as well the harmony of that region.

Lastly, all the suggestions are submisive and not assertive. Every individual offering services in any organisation has right to know the reason for the change. I can understand the suggestion are because of the unmatured approach of the HR Dept and the owners. Guys we have to change and not be scared about lossing jobs.

Wake up!!!

From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
raveesha
Dear All
We are all confusing the person.
These type conditions only in MNCs. We HR people why cant write the Govt. to amend the law.or include clause "Company's policies shouldnot hurt culture of employees".
We must creat a lobby against this.
Please check weather it is in appointment letter. If not She can file against this condition. Hurting feeling of an individual eqaul, to spoling the funndamental right of an individual.
Regards
Raveesha:blink:

From India, Manipal
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.