namrata_naik
Hi HR Gurus
Can anyone tell me that if sat and sun are off and if anybody is taking leave from friday to monday then his leave will be of two days (fri and Mon) or it will be of 4 days from fri to monday?????
Pls throw your light on this issue and clear my confusion.
Regards
Namrata

From India, Bangalore
tm_b

Hi namrata, If the company has the policy of giving Saturdays and Sundays as off days. The number of leaves would be 2 (fri& mon) Regards Debi
From United Kingdom
nehabagga

Hi Namrata,
Usually it is followed that if the off days fall inbetween the leave days then a total of all days is marked as leave i.e. if Friday and monday are leave days then it comes to 4 leaves i.e. we include saturday and sunday but if the leave is either on friday or on monday then the off days are not included.
Here is a clause from my company leave policy:
" For all types of leave, weekly off days/holidays will be considered as leave if they fall within the total leave period. However, they will be excluded if they prefix or suffix the leave period. If leave is taken on both sides of the holiday(s), will be included. "
If you not follow this then employees would plan there leaves in such a way that they would always try and include the off days in between there planned leaves abd this would become a common occurance with in most the leave requests , so to discourage this we follow the leave policy that is stated above.
Hope this clarifies your query.
Neha

From India, Chandigarh
vikramrbhardwaj
Hi,
Please tell if there is some statutory obligation on the employer to give certain minimum leaves to the employee and what act covers it ? also put light on how Leave policies are made by the organisations.
Thanks and Regards
Vikram bhardwaj

nehabagga

Hi Vikram,
You can type in 'Leave policy' in the quick search on CiteHR and you would get all the links to leave policy details available on this cite . There are a huge no. of posts already available about the same on this cite.
Welcome to CiteHR
Neha :) :)

From India, Chandigarh
dpray

Namrata,
This depends on the leave policy of the company , it may varies from company to company, But what widely followed is ...................
if Friday and monday are leave days then it comes to 4 leaves i.e. saturday and sunday is to be included but if the leave is either on friday or on monday then it won't include off days .

From India, Gurgaon
Anuradha Singh

Dear Namrata,
You have already got many ideas and answer to your query. Thats true that it completely depends on the Policy of the company. Many company only counts the no of working days . but few also counts the saturday and sunday included.
Thanks and Regrds
Anuradha

From India, Gurgaon
Nirmal Kumar Sahu

hi All,
now come to legal part, first of all, one has to check his registration.
whether the company is registered under the Factory Act 1948 or Shops & establishment Act (concerned State).
Then see the applicable act and it that act there is a chapter on Leave Policy. you will get exact details from there only and no one can give you correct detail. sorry to write such hard word but to be on safer side always refer Act.
Regarding Saturday and Sunday it is on the discretion of the company only. it is not mentioned in the act.
hope it will serve your purpose.
With Regards
Nirmal Kumar Sahu

From India, Bangalore
Bibhutosh Bhadauria

Hi Namrata,
Leave policy vary company to company, some are liberal and some stick to legal aspact.
As a welfare company can make a provision as much leave it want to provide to its employees, and if we see legally the employer is bound to provide the minimum level set by the law.
If we see legally it depends on the nature of leave.
If it is annual leave or medical leave both saturday and sunday will be counted as a leave.
BUT if it is a casual leave than Saturday and Sunday cannot be counted as leave. This i said in Indian context.
But here in Australia in all kind of leaves off days are never counted as leave even if they are falling between leave period.
Bibhutosh

From Australia, Balwyn
shailendra_deshpande

Dear Namrata,
If the employee is mentioning that he will on leave from friday to monday, then whether saturday & sunday or other holidays cannot be considered as off but get counted as leave. It will be total 4 days leave. Because most of the companies' leave policy and different states' shops and est acts instructs, that any leave falling between weekly off or company declared off shall be suffixed or prefixed with leaves taken shall be counted as leaves and not weekly off. hence saturday and sunday in your case shall be considered as leaves only.
Shailendra.

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.