No Tags Found!

tanusachdeva
Many candidates do not join after accepting the offer letter. Company has to wait for 30-45 days and at the date of joining, candidates deny. What can be done

Madhu.T.K

You cannot take any action against an outsider. But you should study the reasons for declining the offer. It may be a negative publicity about your company that worries candidates to join you. If the terms and conditions are inferior, please rework on it and then try.
From India, Kannur
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

Only thing a employer can do is to block list those candidates and not to entertain their job applications in future as well. But in reality, in today's competitive word that won't be possible. So where ever possible fixing the right salary for the candidates and bargaining much will result in these acts of last minute no show cases.

From India, Madras
vibhakar

Such a situation occurs when we do not work properly. Recruitment is not just advertising, interviews and appointing a candidate. All pros and cons are to be taken into account. This starts from inviting applications. The language and tone in the application speaks a lot. Then the interview. We have the liberty to ask questions to candidate. When we allow the candidate to ask question, what questions he asks also gives us a clue of his sincerity in joining. Further, after we decide to select the candidate, send his an offer letter of two lines. Third line will be "You will get your appointment letter and terms and conditions of employment upon your joining the company. Many times a job seeker applies at more than one place and if he is capable gets selected at more than one place. If he has the appointment letter in his hand, he starts bargaining with new employer. As for Appraintices, take the original certificates in our custody and tell him that he will get back thecertificates when he joins.

It will be better to follow the above rather than repent when a candidate does not join.

Vibhakar Ramtirthkar.

From India, Pune
aussiejohn

There are two different issues at play here.

The first is unscrupulous employees. They may have various reasons for not joining a company as planned, but I suspect in many cases it is purely money. They are only motivated by how much money they can earn, not in doing a job. It is unlikely you would want to employ one of those people anyway, as they would not be productive in your organisation, and always seeking the next step up the ladder.

The second more serious issue is unscrupulous employers. A search of this forum will yield a huge amount of hits from people who joined a company and wanted to leave shortly after due to the job being nothing like what it was described as at the interview, management treated them badly, training opportunities non-existent, pay not as promised, leave policies onerous, and no clear path for advancement. It is a perennial problem which brings posts several times a week from people seeking help.

So I would say to you, STOP blaming the candidates and start looking within your own organisation.

Look at what you are telling candidates. Are you being honest with them? How does your organisation compare to others in the same field? Are you paying enough? What is the career structure? What sets your organisation apart from the others and WHY would anyone want to work for you?

As I have said over and over and over again here on CiteHR, YOU WILL NEVER SOLVE THIS PROBLEM without a comprehensive and robust recruitment and selection process with all staff trained to use it. I can guarantee 100% that most of the problems you have getting good staff is down to this one thing. How do I know this? I've been a member of CiteHR, and most of what I read about recruitment of staff here just appals me. And yet, week after week so many of you are posting complaints about poor staff. Go figure.

I have no doubt this happens all over the world, but I see no strong evidence in other parts of the world. It seems to be more prevalent in India. When I was working, there were three organisations I had involvement or experience in the recruitment process. We had almost no attrition, and staff that I was involved in recruiting stayed for many, many years. We weren't perfect by any means, but we chose new staff carefully and treated the staff well.

Finally, taking people's original certificates and holding them till they join amounts to blackmail in my book, and just breeds resentment. Candidates would be well advised to steer clear of such an employer, as it is a good indicator as to how they might treat you later.

From Australia, Melbourne
Advocate Prem Chanda Yadav

you can file against him if non joining clause is mention in offer letter.
From India, Mumbai
Madhu.T.K

So long as one has not signed the joining forms, he is an outsider and it is the right of anyone whether to join or not. Recruitment is based on a trust and it may fail but the probability of failure is very less when compared to it being successful. Therefore, if he is not reporting, find some body else and drop the issue forever.
From India, Kannur
ajay-khanna

As an unbiased opinion, I can say that both parties are to be partially blamed.
Candidates are of the opinion that there are some companies which conduct "fake interviews" to build their 'pipeline'. At the time of joining, their on-boarding is postponed due to one reason or the other, till the time there is an actual requirement of the resource. Also, a few of the companies release more LOIs than the vacancies, knowing very well, that a certain percentage of the candidates will not turn up (based on their previous experience) and per chance if this calculation goes hay-wire then they are in dilemma as to what to do with balance of the candidates.
I don't need to elaborate on the reasons as to why candidates go in for "LOI shopping". These are well known to each one of us.
Crux of the situation is that whether we are on this side of the table or the other, we need to stick to our commitments and ethics. As a culture and as professionals, we need to over-haul the overall impression that we create on external agencies.

From India, Rohtak
indu 182

As a business owner my experience is this candidate use offer letter to bargain with their existing company. As a employer I don't have time to again and again to do the hiring process. it is time consuming. But with my experience I am also thinking to keep candidate in pipe line so If one refuse I can ask 2nd one. My first preference is always to hire a candidate who is having good track record of stability.
Still it is hit and trial.

From India, New Delhi
rkn61

In order to curb this type of unethical practice on the part of selected candidates, now companies should be careful in sending detailed offer letter. In other words, it should only a selection confirmation letter, just to enable him to put his paper with his current employer. Utmost care should be taken in not disclosing CTC details in the Offer letter, so that, he cannot elevate his market value with his current employer.
From India, Aizawl
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.