No Tags Found!

Ankita1001

Hi Harshita,

See, try to understand this -

When a company wishes to terminate us, we expect the company to give us some warning and give us some time so that we can look up for some other job and carry out from there. If that is not possible, we would at least expect them to compensate us for the notice period.

So is it unfair if the company expects the same from us? Is it too much on their part to ask us for this?

Another thing, lets change the scenario -

You were selected by this firm, you joined in, all your joining formalities were done and agreement given and clauses accepted. You worked enthusiastically for whole day. Next day you were looking forward to better experience when on the gate you got to know you're name in cancelled from the employer's list or muster roll.

WOn't you be agitated and curse the HR and others for the lack of clarity and communication?

Please understand that the company who appoints you have people working on different things. It is not that they have a position vacant, they advertise it and it gets filled in automatically. Proper planning, costing, scheduling is done. Tremendous time is spent in screening resumes and shortlisting candidates for interview and finally selecting and on-boarding.

Sure you might have had a genuine reason to take such a huge step but what is it? What made you think to leave the company in just 8 hours of your journey?

Another thing about the implications -

1. You didn't inform your seniors about you leaving so you'd be marked absconded.

2. They may or may not contact you for notice period pay but if they track your future employers, they may share the experience they've had with you. You'd be in trouble.

3. In future you'd never be able to apply to this company or its sister companies - they've marked you red.

4. Will you conscious allow you to do this?

As rightly said by Mr sundaram, rome wasn't built in a day

When I was hired in my current place. I had nothing to do in my first week but to just idle away my time. Now i seldom have time to breathe in and out. Just because your 1st day was a little relaxed don't mean you quit. If they'd over burden you on 1st day, you'd run away and would never wish to work ever.

Everything has its pace dear. While driving, your car accelerates slowly you can't go from 0 to 100 directly, you've to cross each speed limit before you reach 100.

Hope you have little clarity. Absconding may just hamper your career, please don't do that just for your own sake.

ANother thing - I didn't say all that because I'm an HR and wish to scare you off. Whatever I said is just like showing you the realiry that happens. If you'd go through the site you'd understand how many people actually repent having absconded.

Hope it helped :)

From India, Mumbai
Raj Kumar Hansdah

Dear Harshita,

I agree with Ankita and Sundaram.

But first, I would like to know:

Do you have another offer in your kitty or have you accepted an offer ?

How can one think of quitting a job (whether 1 day or 1 year old) without having an alternate employment ??

It seems so bizarre that one who has gone through the rigors of getting a job and completed the formalities, would think of quitting on Day-1 itself ??!!

Moreover, the very fact that you were asked to do some Excel sheet; does not mean anything at all - by way of drawing any conclusion; for the following reasons :
  • initially no one is sure whom should the newcomer report to, it needs to be decided taking into consideration thee changes that may have taken place during the recruitment lead time.
  • the place or position of posting needs to be confirmed again to accomodate any chamges in the meantime.
  • there is a lag in making appropraite seating arrangements
  • no-one is too confident, free or eager to give a new joinee a worthwhile work on Day-1 itself
  • one has to prove oneself on the job and display one's calibre through delivering high quality output before expecting anything worthwhile

It seems either you are not telling the whole truth or you are very casual about choosing a job. In any case, it would be fair if you give notice, continue till the notice period and then quit this job; unless you feel its the company's fault in selecting you.

Warm regards.

From India, Delhi
Rukshandeva
Well reading through all this I would say the whole problem lies with the HR of the company you joined. Every company and work place must have a Emloyee Induction progarm for a new entrant. this will enable him to comfortably board the ship and sail happily. All the HR guys in thread are looking at what he has doen by absconding but none is looking towards themselves to say HR has erred.
From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Ankita1001

Hi Rukshandeva,
I request you to throw some light on the subject. How do you wish to be inducted on your first day and what would make you stay.
I would be happy to learn, trust me.
But if you do not have suggestions, please refrain from blaming the HR. the point was very well cleared by Mr. Raj Kumar.
Yet if you think there was a way HR oculd have handled situation differently, I am sure all of us would want to learn for our future reference.

From India, Mumbai
harshitasolanki

Dear Raj Kumar ,
Yes you are very correct I have few job offers in my pocket thats why I took instant decision seeing my future growth.
my ques was about the payment of 2 month salary,in short will you ans me that do I need to pay any amount to the company or not? As I signed on the appointment letter clause also I didnt submit my exp letter and reliving letter of my last employer does it makes any sense on my joining formalities.

From India, Mumbai
Ankita1001

Harshita,

I hope you have taken better decision.

As far as your main query is concerned -

On your joining day, they gave you your appointment letter and made you aware of terms and conditions including seperation policy. Hence it is expected out of you to abide by these policies.

The joining formalities would not depend on you submitting your documents.

Do one thing, talk to your HR and senior and state that you've got a better opportunity and would like to bag it for future growth and if something could be worked out on mutual terms regarding this situation.

Since you've worked just 1 day I hope the HR co-operates. But be prepared for questions like -

1. If you had other offers in your hand, why did you instantly accepted our offer when you could have asked for a couple of day's time?

2. When did you get this offer? Were you anticipating it? Why did you not mention same in interview.

Surely 2nd point is very fishy, had you told so in interview, it would have really hampered your chance. But at least be prepared with constructive answers to handle the situation very maturely.

However if the company follows the policies very strictly, you might end up paying 2 month's notice. Check out pros and cons and work out on mutual terms with HR.

Hope it helped.

From India, Mumbai
Gurgaon HR

Harshita,
You may be on probation period so no notice period is required from either side.
So don't worry that will not harm you anyways.
For All Team Members : See, with reference to her posts she wants only particular answer of her question. She is least bother about the loss of the company or xyz because she is having job offers in hand. so your long long replies will not work.
Save you time and energy for other needy members.
Chill HR (Always Smile)

From India, Gurgaon
Rukshandeva
Hi Anikta,
Yes HR could have.
If a effective induction program was there he would not have been working and doing excel sheets on the first but would be getting intoduced to his collegeus and the company policies and procedures. I dont know if you from HR I am not but from QA. In our workpalce the HR induction progarm is carried out for two days culminating with one on one meet with the MD. It is the bounden duty of the HR to welcome and make at ease a new comer instead of dropping him in the deepend. If you need more on prepartion of good induction program you can inbox me.

From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
positive_me

Hi Harshita,
As rightly mentioned by Ankita , you should talk to the HR person & then leave, since one day of working they may not be that strict . Also if you have taken a decision to quit the job , as a professional you should inform to the HR about your leaving the job. Absconding is not the right word or a behaviour to be displayed by a professional. Be Assertive & bold enough to open your views to anyone , this would help you to lead a peaceful career.
Regards,
Ganesh

From India, Chennai
Ankita1001

Dear Rushandeva,

I would not go into comparing induction processes as differnt firms have different inductions and length of it.

Secondly, sure you said that introducing a new joinee to his/her colleagues is best way to help them be in a group. And I think introduction would have been done.

Thirdly, if or not giving excel learning was important would depend on the job roles that one has to perform.

Yes, I am from HR and belong to a smaller firm where induction process is of one day. We introduce the person to his team, reporting manager, give him information on policies and procedures, and other things. However, at times it so happen that there is space constrain, other team members are little occupied in a different task etc due to which the induction and introduction takes a back seat role.

Would like to cite an example. Off lately we hired an analyst but the day he joined in, we had some foreign partners visited us for a day long meeting. Due to which the induction process involved only me (hr) and him and introduced him to his team mates. Ofocurse you cant expect hr to brief you on what you should be doing as your senior would be the best person to guide you. Since the head was in the day's long meeting, and due to other important discussions with our partners, we couldn't entertain him. He was given the manuals on policies, we gave him websites and other realted material to study.

He was included in the team the next day and eventually inducted on his job role, briefing him of his roles.

And like you said your firm has a 2 day induction programme, it would be unfair on my part to conclude you didn't do enough on the 1st day itself.

Lastly I bought your point that HR could have handled the induction some other way but really wanted some suggestions. Introducing to the team is a very basic thing that anyone and everyone does. Apart from that if you have any ideas on inducting a new person, I (at least) would love to learn.

Thanks.

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.