No Tags Found!

shahed.khan

Dear Friends,
I think we are entering into the period of baby boomers and as per US the first batch of baby boomers have started from 2006. It is estimated that employers will consider employing large number of work force above the normal retirement age which is 65, and the retirement age will be extended.
So more and more companies will have to accomodate and employ candidates above 60years with flexible or reduced work timings. This could be cause of low birth rate due to nuclear families, single parents, divorce and other reasons.
Thus I feel that age is no more a constraint to employ a candidate if he/she is eligible and can perform essential functions.
Please correct me if Im wrong & is India also facing such a situation can someone give input on this.
Thanks
Shahed

From Qatar, Doha
nashbramhall

"Does Age Matter?" is a good question. And my response to that as some one who came to UK when I was 28, changed the field from Electrical Engineering to Industrial Eng at 40 and then moved to teaching at 48, retired at nearly 66, and still working as a guide for researchers without charging, is it all depends upon the situation.

Without giving details of the scenario it is difficult to say whether age matters or not. For example, if it requires physical effort, afte a certain age the adage "Spirit is willing but the body isn't" comes into play. Otherwise, it's what one knows and can do that really matters. However, as others have opined, keeping people of pensionable age in paid employment may adversely affect the employment opportunity of youngsters. It may also be less economical, as more experienced persons get paid more for doing a job that can be handled by juniors (where there is pay scale like in the civil service and in teaching).

In UK, some stores employ older people as they are more flexible in work patterns (part-time working, weekend working, etc).

It also may be worth reading

the article by Mark Desner at <link outdated-removed>

and a Scholary reasearch article abstract at http://emeraldinsight.com <link updated to site home>

Both found at http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Simhan

From United Kingdom
stepahead
Hello,
I really think at this era of a new employment strategies and a lot changed scenario, age definately make a difference. If you think about it deeply, you will always find that person with younger age has a edge over aged person.
Let me give you an ex. Whom would one give a preference when it comes to select a person for longer terms, more confidence,inquisitiveness,assertiveness. May be a person can have more exp, but he must be smart enough to use his exp. at the right time and the right place. If you just consider that the persons have same mental ability, preference should be given to younger one having avid creativity.
The efficacy,endurance, and performance will have an edge over amble work method, bruiting while working and dearth of productivity.So revert back if you or any 1 else thinks the otherwise with the points on the board.

From India, Mumbai
nashbramhall

Do you really think all youngsters are creative and older persons are not?
You only need to see the number of youngsters who are pursuing their MBA and ask for guidance on citeHr to understand that all youngsters are not creative.
I wonder whether you read my message above!!!

From United Kingdom
rkandadai

Hi Fellow Friends!
Good to see interesting topic about age, being the factor for employment in specific.
At an outset let me answer the same at a larger perspective, by questioning you all ,as to how many people have understood the concept of “equal employment opportunity ?”. Every company talks and you and I talk about the same at a knowledge level and conceptual level and implementation level ..we are all ZERO.
First of all, Age has nothing to do, in any professional organization; it is all about survival of the fittest. Geeta has touched About Maturity; I appreciate her but for all other things that is rubbish. I don’t buy Chandan’s Words, Reasons, is that I need to question him for, what is the average age group of people coming out of IIMs, XLRIs or any other such academics?
I am concerned with Asha that, only numbers talk about, what will happen next? I empathize with her. All said and done, it’s all about our Out Put.

It’s all depends on the management and employees, as too how far can we take this Age into factor and define the same for our company and that make a difference to our organization at the larger level.
So... rather then finding faults, find alternative right solutions in the common interest of our organization.
And that is what... we are here for, as HR Folks, find a common solution.
Hope I expect Solutions for this topic rather, then feelings, Experiences or complaints.

Regards
RK.

From India, Hyderabad
rkandadai

Hi Fellow Friends!
Good to see interesting topic about age, being the factor for employment in specific.
At an outset let me answer the same at a larger perspective, by questioning you all ,as to how many people have understood the concept of “equal employment opportunity ?”. Every company talks and you and I talk about the same at a knowledge level and conceptual level and implementation level ..we are all ZERO.
First of all, Age has nothing to do, in any professional organization; it is all about survival of the fittest. Geeta has touched About Maturity; I appreciate her but for all other things that is rubbish. I don’t buy Chandan’s Words, Reasons, is that I need to question him for, what is the average age group of people coming out of IIMs, XLRIs or any other such academics?
I am concerned with Asha that, only numbers talk about, what will happen next? I empathize with her. All said and done, it’s all about our Out Put.

It’s all depends on the management and employees, as too how far can we take this Age into factor and define the same for our company and that make a difference to our organization at the larger level.
So... rather then finding faults, find alternative right solutions in the common interest of our organization.
And that is what... we are here for, as HR Folks, find a common solution.
Hope I expect Solutions for this topic rather, then feelings, Experiences or complaints.

Regards
RK.

From India, Hyderabad
nashbramhall

Dear RK
You have not given the solutions either. As I have mentioned earlier, it is all about the situation.
I know of a person, whose hobby was repairing watches and clocks, that was employed by P R & Sons of Madras as the Head of their Watch Repair section in the late 60, after her retired at the age of 60 from a Govt. job. This is no doubt an exception. Thus it all depends upon the company, it's policies, etc.
Similarly, in the show business in UK, Bruce Forsyth is around 80 and he is one of the best presenters of programmes. Irrespective of the programme he is asked to host, he does a marvellous job. And when the same programmes have been hosted by youngsters they have been flops.
Simhan

From United Kingdom
Ash Mathew

I completely agree that it depends on the situation.

In my case, as I mentioned eralier, when I joined this co,no one was ready to listen to whatever I had to say (age factor ).
I understood that clearly and had to discuss with the Mgmnt in hiring a Head - HR for the whole group. Because, certain things will have to be done only by a senior person. Now they have hired and things seem to be getting in shape.

Age does have an influencing factor.

My previous MD is very young person of a reputed group. He is guided by people who worked with his Dad, while his dad was earlier taking care of the business. Now these ex ppl act as his mentors - and on the roll, they have mid-aged (above 40 yrs - 50 yrs) ppl working as the Head of each division.

Age also defines the aggressiveness. If you see Maslows theory - after a certain age (assuming that the person grows professionally in the same way), needs / motives change. It may not be money - it may be self esteem!

After understanding the needs/motives - try matching people in the correct stage of this growth. Maybe due to some reasom, a person at 50 is still in the need stage. At this point, you should compare the existing groups' motives. Adding the "Senior" person, should in no way reduce the working efficiency of the group.

In the same manner, when there is already a group with higher level motives (also senior by age), and if you include a person who is much younger than them, it wil not serve the purpose. As the senior ppl may not feel like accepting the younger person's views.
(my case).

From India, Madras
rashidmusa

Dear members,

I read all responses very carefully and evaluated by expereince of 8 organizations and the balance between aging employees and youth employees.

As per my observation all organizations needs mixture of old expereined employees to foster intellecutal capabilities in the organization to transform young employees strength into asset for the organization. Youth Graduates are not straight from jacket to fitinto business of any organization because they needs shelter of expereince people who guide them with tricks of the trades and overtime they grow as matured professional. Formal education or Degree does not substitute to the expereince therefore every organization needs expereince people in crutial positions to balance the business risk and venture.

The organizations without old ansd experienced employees struggle to stabalise their business consistancy and growth because they lack expereince capital and practicle expertise that prevents them from disaster like Satyam Frauds.

In one company where I worked in Africa we used to keep old expereinced people at the top of the hierarchy in core business management group who used to advise management on strategic aspects and preventive measures from the arising threats.

Youth Employees used to act as second fiddle and expedite the process and stimulate business enviornment with their creative and innovative skills.

A combination of both makes lot of difference and old expereince employee is business imperative and become asset and not liability.

Regards

Rashid

From Saudi Arabia
monuda

its depend upon nature of job and company profile is it PSU/PRIVATE mostly psu take imp. of age.
From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.