Anita P Panicker

Hi Priya,
Please remember it is your life and no one can actually advice you. The only thing other's can do is guide you. You know the actual difficulty you are facing, and can see you are really feedup of your current boss and job. Why don't to tell your boss you are over loaded with work and more over not comfortable working at at the Reception.
Meanwhile start looking for a change, because it seems he is trying to exploit you. But just a request don't leave the job until you get other opening, because you will have a greater bargaining power, when you are going for interview.
All the best
Anita

From India, Mumbai
bpugazhendhi

Ask any one. In 9 out of 10 cases they will tell you what you tell about your boss - that the boss does not understand, does not appreciate, flogs the running horse etc., etc. That is the reality. But the post of Mr Saswatbanerjee sums the position up nicely. It is worth pondering about that.
From India, Madras
Lalitha Ginjupalli

Hi Priya,

In order to get good impression you might obey all his orders initially, but now as per your words you are not able to take it. So don’t worry. For every problem there was a solution,

If you follow few things u can easily escape from that situation.

1) Being your boss it is his responsibility to describe your KRAs and KPIs, so ask for that then he will get a clear picture on HR roles and Responsibilities. Henceforth whenever he wants to assign such tasks he will think.

2) Send a daily report to him ,what all you have done in your shift. He will understand your work pressure.

3) Never trash on your boss directly or indirectly, which creates negative impression on you.

4) Do your boss know that you are pursuing MBA, if not let him know that first, then he will understand the career that what exactly you are looking for, and he will try to assign HR related work.

5) Last but not least take each and every problem as an opportunity for learning, Remember, you need to be more stronger enough to face and solve your problems, then only you can solve employee problems ….

From India, Hyderabad
Moni reddy

Dear Ms.Trivedi ,
For your kind information ,sometimes our higher authorities test our Attitude.So I can simply explain you that this is a part of testing your attitude levels.You just see for few days without any tempo.

From India, Hyderabad
Dear Priya,

I understand your problem as an HR professional. I do not agree with others. They are all giving goody goody impractical lectures. Today your boss is asking you to sit at the reception, tomorrow he will ask you to stand at the gate as a security guard. This is just not acceptable.

You are a post graduate qualified person and said that you are looking after HR functions like recruitment, payroll and administration. These are important HR functions. One who is dealing with these functions should not sit at the reception. That is the job of a receptionist which is totally a different job profile and can be done even by a matriculate. An HR professonal has some dignity.

Please tell him politely that with the qualification and the job responsibility you are handling should not be made to sit at the reception and that they should identify somebody else with lesser qualification for the receptionist job. If he insists you may do the job under protest till you find another job. With your qualification and experience I an sure, you can find another job.

One thing I have observed that you need to improve your english.

I wish you all the best.

Shiladitya

From India, Mumbai
Ms. Trivedi

Hi
Thanks for the reply.....
And my english is good enough itz just that i had posted this in a
hurry thus there are some typing errors....
I have corrected it....kindly chk the first comment
Regards,
Priya

From India, Ahmedabad
saiconsult

This is in fact very interesting and pertinent discussion on an isue which an achievr may unknowinly slip into.

Harsh, you have given excellent clues as to how to deal with the situation.

Gaurav, you in fact hit the nail on the head by you wonderful analysis .

Saswatabenerjee's realty cahck will be of help to Priya in making up her mind.

Gaurav and other members, here we do not know 1) whether the boss of Priya is a shining jewel in the business who is merely a professional or 2) a shrewd jewel in the business who is out to exploit an achiever to the hilt at no extar cost to him as Shiladitya apprehended or 3) is it the limiting beleifs of Priya about meeting challenges which makes her to complain about her boss.

In the fist case, there may not be a problem to deal with the issue and here Harsh's clues will come handy and a truly professional boss will definitely understand the difficulties as he does not want to imrove one fundtion at the cost of a key function like HR . In the last case i.e case no.(3), it does not appear to be the case with Priya, given her capabilities. If she harbours any such beleifs, she has to do realty check by herself and change them.

The real problem is with the second case where the boss is a shrewd jewel who is an exploitative kind. He may ask the performing employee to walk extra mile every day and if the employee consents every time to walk, he or she may after a lapse of time, may have to walk not one mile but many miles bare foot and may collapse, being tired. How to pre-empt such such circumstances.

1) whether the talented employee should not raise expectations in his/her boss?

2) if raised expectations in the boss about her competencies unknowinly in the initial stages of employment, how to set a finishing line to stop the extra mile walk?

Trust the enlighetened members will respond for the genarl benfit of aspiring young professionals.

B.Saikumar

Mumbai

From India, Mumbai
Ravi_khatri
Hi Priya,
I just read all the above comments & conversations made by you...
Please go through one thing that, whatever you are said or told by your boss & you do it in min. time & max satisfaction...he is gonna expect more.
So, what do you want to...do you want that he should expect more or else you want to take the grant of your work only...
Regards,
Ravi Khatri.

From India
Anonymous
Dear Priya, Each and every revert on your query is indeed a valuable and I hope by now you must have figured your much needed direction! All the Best. Best Regards, PD
From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Pd3000
Dear Priya, Each and every revert on your query is indeed valuable and I hope by now you must have figured your much needed direction! All the Best. Warm Regards, PD
From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.