Anonymous
Ways to make CEOs HR savvy.
Most organizations, including owner-driven, HR are not able to secure their prime position. My reading is HR professionals are not getting updated with Business. Though this matter has been discussed for the last two decades, still HR professionals are not equipped to discuss it with CXOs. Is it, not time to reverse the trend and gain the importance that HR deserves..

From India, Hyderabad
raghunath_bv

Hi,
The role of Human Resources (HR) has indeed evolved over the years, and there has been ongoing discussion about the need for HR professionals to align themselves more closely with business goals and strategy. While many HR professionals have made significant strides in this direction, it's true that there is still room for improvement in some organizations.

Here are a few factors that might contribute to the perceived gap between HR and the business:

Traditional Perception of HR:
In some organizations, HR is still seen primarily as an administrative function focused on tasks such as recruitment, payroll, and employee relations. Shifting this perception to view HR as a strategic partner in achieving business objectives is crucial.

Skillset Development:
HR professionals may need to continually develop their skills to stay abreast of business trends, technology, and industry changes. This includes understanding financial metrics, data analytics, and having a broader understanding of business operations.

Cultural Shift:
the HR department and the organization as a whole need to foster a culture that values HR as a strategic partner. This requires collaboration between HR and other departments, with a shared understanding of business goals.

Leadership Support:
HR professionals often require support from organizational leadership to take on a more strategic role. When top management recognizes the importance of HR in achieving business success, it can positively influence the perception and positioning of HR within the organization.

Continuous Learning:
HR professionals should engage in continuous learning and professional development. This could involve attending workshops, obtaining relevant certifications, and staying informed about the latest trends in HR and business.

Effective Communication:
HR professionals need to communicate in a language that resonates with the C-suite. This involves translating HR initiatives into business terms, demonstrating the impact of HR activities on organizational performance.

It is indeed time for HR to take a more prominent role in organizations. Many forward-thinking organizations recognize the value of HR in driving business success and are actively working to integrate HR into strategic decision-making processes. However, the specific challenges and opportunities will vary depending on the industry, organizational culture, and leadership philosophy. HR professionals and organizations should collaborate to bridge the gap and ensure that HR is positioned as a strategic partner in achieving business objectives.

Thanks

From India, Bangalore
Dinesh Divekar

Dear member,

The heading of your post is "HR Is Not Getting Its Right Place In The Business". It indicates that other functionaries could be getting a due place but not HR professionals. However, the first sentence of your post is "Ways to make CEOs HR savvy". By writing this sentence, it appears you wish to blame the CEOs, since they are not HR savvy. Do you wish to say that if the CEOs become HR savvy, then HR functionaries will get the right place in the organisation?

Well, the contradiction between the heading of the post and the first sentence itself explains why HR does not get to the right place. By assigning blame to the CEOs, can HR absolve themselves? The CEOs are not HR savvy as much as the HR is not business savvy! At least half of the blame or even more of it goes to HR. Acceptance of this fact requires an introspective attitude.

Why does HR not get the right place? This forum gives the reply to this question. The quality of the posts reflects the quality of HR. Notwithstanding their egregious posts, they still have a place in the organisation. Is it not an achievement in itself? Whether it is right or not does not matter.

To get to the right place, one needs to be assertive. The assertiveness amongst HR professionals is missing. Take the example of your post. You wish to initiate a discussion on an important topic but wish to remain anonymous! Why do you wish to withhold your identity? HRs do not get the right place because of this self-effacing attitude. Leadership demands leading from the front and not playing safe by remaining invisible!

To prove one's worth, one needs to be original and authentic. But many HRs are pure copycats! "Copy and paste" may give visibility on the public forums or social media but it is not sufficient to get noticed by the top management. This forum has abundant examples of how HR professionals are good at writing replies that are copied from AI websites!

If HR were to get the right place, then they must understand the business. To understand the business, they need to know the costs and ratios associated with their business. They should be able to quantify the impact of human resources on the business. Additionally, they must have good communication skills. They should be good in oral and written communication.

There are a few other competencies to get parity with the other functionaries. However, what I have written above is sufficient at this stage.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
raghunath_bv

Dear all,

I wish to differ from Mr. Dinesh Divekar, criticising the latest technologies like AI websites, I would like to remind him that the newer technologies are more faster and accurate, the only thing need to be done is to modify the text to the given circumstances.

If you look 40 years ago, seniors would not allow juniors to use calculator but only to total, multiply and divide manually and this was time consuming and many times inaccurate.

I do not know that whether Mr. Dinesh is aware of advanced excel, wherein formulas to inserted and the calculations are done quickly and accurately. Working on bigger projects this type of technology is required.

Let me remind Mr. Dinesh that the Civil and Mechanical drawings were done manually using drawing board & 'T' square earlier but now it is computerised. Earlier stages it was auto-cad, then came Pro E, Solid works and this is over taken by UCam and Master Cam,.

Earlier jewellery were crafted manually, now it is mechanised using Ucam /MasterCam,
which shows you the design of the ring or jewellery to be done, the give command from the computer the proportion of Gold & Copper top be mixed. You will the get the desired design and thickness of the jewellery in two ours not like the earlier day waiting for weeks and months

If you carefully, analyse that the accounts were done manually by keeping various records and presently Excel sheet and Tally does the work.Especially Finance sector one has to understand the ratio analysis is crucial for constructing Balancesheet

Now Coming to Soft ware development there are different tolls used like Java, C++ , Cloud Computing , Embedded Software, etc. Present trend is the Data Science and Machine Learning where in the tools used are C++. Python,Metlab , Security Software etc.

It is for Mr. Dinesh to look into the newer technologies and its rapid growth,which has helped the organizations and a society as a whole to a developed and advanced stage.
Let me tell him that if a person has a thorough knowledge of the subject can go into all kinds of advanced phases else it is stagnated.

If you carefully examine the Statement of Mr. Dinesh, even use of whats-up and Instagram have no meaning.
I wish to remind our members to have a positive outlook and move forward in the society else like old timer criticizing for every new things which will not last longer, because those the day there were only limited technologies. also people had a limited knowledge of understanding.

Therefore, the newer generation has to come out from the older clutches and look forward to grow else they become absolute in the modern world.
I would like inform Mr. Dinesh that this report he will not find in AI website or google

Thanks

From India, Bangalore
aussiejohn

I agree with Dinesh Divekar in that it appears that you are blaming the CEO. But what your message really smacks of is the suggestion that HR is more important, and everyone, including the CEO should bow down to you.

Why do you think HR is one of the most hated divisions in any organisation? So many HR departments think they are above anyone else and are the engine room of the organisation. You may have missed the memo that says they are NOT. They are but one piece of the puzzle, contributing to the smooth running of the organisation along with sales, marketing, finance, manufacturing etc etc. Think of the CEO as the conductor of an orchestra, trying to get all the players working together in harmony to create the music. He is top dog, not HR.

HR often goes to the CEO with problems, never with solutions that align with company direction and policy. Invariably the CEO sends them away with a flea in their ear.

So, in my view, there is work to be done by HR to solve the mismatch, NOT the CEO. In most cases he is very clear on his goals, his strategy, and his direction for the company. That's why the board hired him in the first place.

For another perspective on the OP's question, see my next post.

From Australia, Melbourne
aussiejohn

I have made my views on the use of AI in this forum quite clear. I disapprove of it - AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

But I looked at the OP's question again, and talked to ChatAPT with a different question, i.e. the mismatch between HR and the CEO. Low and behold, it would appear that AI agrees with me. But this is unsourced, uncritical information and cannot be wholly relied on. It is a game to be played with, not a substitute for real life on the ground experience.

PLEASE NOTE: This is presented unchanged from it's original form. It is for information purposes only, though there is some strategic points outlining actions that could be further researched and given consideration.

Lack of Strategic HR Involvement:

Limited Involvement in Strategic Decision-Making: If HR is not actively involved in strategic decision-making processes, there might be a disconnect between HR initiatives and the CEO's vision.

Communication Challenges:

Ineffective Communication Channels: If there is a lack of clear and open communication between HR and the CEO, it can lead to misunderstandings and hinder collaboration.

Perception of HR as Administrative:

HR as Administrative Function Only: If HR is primarily seen as an administrative function rather than a strategic partner in achieving organizational goals, it can create a gap.

Limited HR Metrics and Analytics:

Lack of Data-Driven Insights: Without leveraging HR metrics and analytics to demonstrate the impact of HR activities on business outcomes, it can be challenging to align HR efforts with the CEO's vision.

Differences in Priorities:

Mismatched Priorities: Misalignments in priorities and focus areas between HR and the CEO can contribute to a perceived gap.

Resistance to CEO's Agenda:

Resistance to CEO's Initiatives: If there is resistance from HR or a lack of alignment with the CEO's strategic initiatives, it can create a gap in perception.

Limited HR Involvement in Business Strategy:

HR Not Integrated into Business Strategy: If HR is not actively involved in the development and execution of the organization's business strategy, it can result in a perceived gap.

Inadequate HR Leadership Presence:

Lack of HR Leadership Visibility: If HR leaders are not visible, proactive, or influential within the organization, it may contribute to a gap in perception between HR and the CEO.

Cultural Differences:

Cultural Misalignment: Differences in organizational culture between HR and the CEO's office can contribute to a sense of separation.

Ineffective Talent Management:

Talent Management Challenges: If HR fails to address talent-related issues that align with the CEO's priorities, it can contribute to the perceived gap.

Limited Focus on Business Impact:

HR Not Demonstrating Business Impact: If HR struggles to demonstrate its contribution to the organization's bottom line and overall success, it can widen the perceived gap.

Closing the perceived gap between HR and the CEO requires intentional efforts to enhance communication, strategic alignment, and collaboration. HR should actively seek to understand the CEO's vision and contribute meaningfully to the organization's success.

raghunath_bv

Mr. John,
You have stated that HR has limited Metrics & Analysis, lack of Data driven insights and lack of strategic Decision making, Ineffective Talent Management to name of few of your points shows that you got have grouse with the HR section,whether you know or do not know many Engineers are in the HR field presently for certain purposes.
Tell me one thing if HR a failed sector in your opinion, why there are Globlal HRs, HR country Heads paid high salary.
Criticism is fine, but don't criticise for the sake of criticizing in a lackadaisical way just like the politicians.
Thanks

From India, Bangalore
aussiejohn

Dr Raghunath,

I didn't make those points. Your beloved AI did. I did not alter the ChatGPT answer in any way. I have no opinion either way about HR shortcomings in regard to the mismatch with the CEO as I do not claim to have expertise in that area. However, I would point out that I have witnessed CEO's and HR Manager's having arguments on some of those issues raised in the ChatGPT answer.

I only expressed an opinion about HR wanting to be in charge, and for everyone else, CEO included, to do as they are told. It is just my view, based on my own real world experience, and you can disagree all you like. I don't have a problem with that. Just take more care to focus on my personal view, NOT what ChatGPT said.

The rest of you comments about global HR etc is irrelevant to the discussion.

Srinath Sai Ram

Dear Mr Raghunath,
Please let me know who is a Human Resource Professional, What is the Prescribed Qualification, Skill Sets for the position..
Do Human Resource Professional have sufficient Knowledge of Applicable Labour Laws, Human Psychology, General Laws.
Most of the Human Resource Employees boast about their Generalist Skills, which is not sufficient.
To give an Example, recently there was a Question about Occupier. In what context Question was raised? Never mind, if you do not know the answer. Do you know what question to ask?

Human Resource Employees do not Have sufficient Skills to carry out their responsibilities. They Focus on Cut, Copy Paste. They Lack Command over Languages. They do not have Written, Verbal Communication Skills. Little Knowledge is Dangerous.
Prioritize your area, acquire relevant Qualification, Continue Learning. Above all understand your Limitation. Most of the HR Employees do not reveal their designation. They are under the impression that only a Manager is recognized in the Society. First you have to be Proud of What you are. H R Employees should have Knowledge about Human Psychology.
Mr Dinesh is having High Knowledge & Skill in Human resource Function, which I have not seen in people Holding High Positions in Human resource area. To lift & to take HR Profession to the next level, we need more & more persons with Relevant Qualification, Industry Experience, Knowledge & Skill
Express to Express, not to impress, Truth Hurts Every one

From India, New Delhi
aussiejohn

Srinath Sai Ram,

You have hit the nail on the head. Lack of training and skills bedevils HR like no other department in the organisation. Most people see HR as a soft option, they think anyone can do it. Everyone on this forum can see that this is not the case given the constant posts of "how do I" and the constant reinventing of the wheel, with the same stuff over and over and over and over again. All this against the fact that most of the answers are already here to be found with a simple search. People are just too lazy to look. They know someone else will give them the answer, and they will not learn. Why should I learn to do the job when I can get someone else to do it for me is a common theme here.

During my time in the workforce, so many people wanted to work in HR as they perceived it as an easy job where they wouldn't have to work. Even here on CiteHR we constantly get posts about how to get into HR from people that barely know what HR is or entails.

If you look back over my posts from the last 17 years I have been a member of this forum, you will notice this has been a recurring theme with me. I have constantly asked time after time "how do people get HR jobs when they have no clue whatsoever about it." The answer of course is lack of a proper recruitment and selection process. Now, I do realise and fully understand that people have to start somewhere and this comes down to organisations have a proper training and development program in place to train new hires from day one - not chucking people in at the deep end. It also means allocating a "buddy" if you like to the new hire who sits with him for the first couple of weeks and starts him off with some basic tasks and then builds on that. But the reality is no-one has the time or staff to do that. Everyone wants staff who can hit the ground running on Monday morning of their first day.

It's complex, and there are no easy answers. It starts with recruiting the best HR Managers with solid training and real world experience to staff the top positions, and then implementing a robust recruitment and selection program to select the best people to staff the department, and then back that up with proper training and development so they reach their full potential. This stuff works and I can make that claim from my own experiences in the workforce.

To cycle back to the OP's original question, HR have got to prove their worth, and pay their way in the organisation. They have to add value to justify the expense of having a HR department which is not a revenue earning unit. That means they have to be fully on board with the CEO's vision and strategy for the company, and everything HR does has to push that vision and strategy forward, not handicap it.

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

This discussion thread is old and is closed for new comments. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post a new thread. Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.