No Tags Found!

vijaytn2008
How do i guide all my Operations manager in BPO to be Integral HRs ?
Currently in my company, all my managers feel attrition is HR Headache. We need to clear this myth. I would like to guide these ignorant managers on the same.

From Netherlands
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Vijay,
I recommend you doing analysis of employee attrition. Find out from which department attrition is more. Also find out is there any variation based on gender, age, education background etc.
This will help you in taking corrective measures like training, welfare measures etc.
Secondly, find out cost of attrition. Train your managers on how they can contribute in reducing this cost. HR can do only the recruitment however, retention is in Ops Managers' hands.
Ok...
DVD

From India, Bangalore
tajsateesh

Hello Vijay,

Dinesh Divekar is right about the primary responsibility of 'retention'.

Though a bit out-of-context, the role of HR is something like that of parents [or friends, as the case may be] in a marriage :-)

The parents can only take responsibility till the stage of marraige--but what the couple makes out of the marriage is UPTO THEM.

But pl also remember that parents always come into picture when there are problems in the marriage--so frankly, you can't say that HR doesn't have any role after Hiring/Joining, w.r.t. Retention i.e.

Coming to your query, it would have been better if you had given more details of, both, your observations so far AND actions from the HR-end to figure-out the reasons for the attrition.

Do you have any Exit-interview process in place?

How is the Increment/Appraisal policy of the company, in general, viewed by the employees?

Like Dinesh Divekar mentioned, is any specific department under cloud for this situation or is it spread across the company?

More the inputs, the better & accurate the suggestions.

However, going by your posting, I get a feeling [I may be & wish to be wrong on this aspect] that the sense-of-belonging @ the senior-managers' level is lacking in your company. Else, given the reality that it's the Line managers who are directly effected due to any attrition, their comments ["......attrition is HR Headache"] only conveys an attitude of 'passing-the-buck' [typically seen in Govt Sector Companies]. If this indeed is true [to whatever extent], then this attitude is only being passed [without any specific intent most likely] to the lower level employees--and attrition is the 'RESULTANT & EXTERNAL symptom' that is noticed. Like the saying goes in Sanskrit: 'Yatha raja, thatha praja'. The 'WHY' of this aspect could lead you to a totally different direction--if you want to find the solution.

All the Best.

Rgds,

TS

From India, Hyderabad
Cite Contribution

Greetings,

This is a classic case of developing 'People's Manager' ! The tug-of-war between HR fundamentals and operation manager's perspectives will continue till one recognizes the other.

Suggest you to begin with the premise, that Operations would find HR guidelines neither people nor business friendly. Nevertheless, HR remains an enabler to the business. Hence, your research to present the data as Dinesh had suggested, needs to be presented best aligned to the business. Explain every initiative with the outages that can be managed by the Line managers, when owned by them. Such as Employee Engagement may include one of the goals as reducing absenteeism rate. Don't create incentive program for this. Rather brainstorm with the line managers on the reasons individual to each teams. Count away the human reasons such as exigency and identify the work related or behavioral reason such as high work volume or consecutive negative feedback. Seek suggestions from the line managers on managing them, such as high work volume can be managed with acknowledgement and negative feedback with corrective and supportive measures.

I managed an attrition sensitive business unit , where the reasons remained unacknowledged for long. A mutually exclusive and a collective exhaustive study showed reasons such as regionalism, disparity in teams and several other behavioral reasons. Compensation remained the last stroke.

The tangible reason was manageable, but the behavioral took several business-owned programs to resolve. Even though, I must confess, not all the reasons could be resolved. Building coherent teams , in Satheesh's words will remain a choice and not a luxury to the line managers.

Please let us know what is workable and what remains remote in your situation. Wish you all the best !

From India, Mumbai
safety.cfs@triway.in

Dear Viijay,

Kindly checks this points and evaluate. Before evaluating have one to one discussion.

1. SALARY - Compare salary with market trend & with your same industries

2. Staff Welfare - Do not comparmise in any situation. If any lapse kindly keep it as secret.

3. Work Atmosphere - When you give huge salary & without good atmosphere. Nobody will retain.

4. Shift Timings & Transportation - Check your shift timings & transport facility. Ex: If staff cannot able to catch local train again they have to wait for one or two hours. Morning they will reach the office one or two hours before because of train timings.

5. DEVELOPMENT \ IMPROVEMENT - Without development of improvement how you retain good staff.

6. RESPECT \ FRIENDLINESS - Treat everybody equal. Give opportunities to give their ideas & feedback. ( Focus the issue not the person )

7. JOB SATISFACTION - Analise or take feedback from all staffs.

8. CONFIDENT IN COMPANY - Staff should have faith in company.

9. TRAINING - Training will refresh them.

10. COMPANY POLICY - Without this you cannot control.

Hope this points will help you, if any points is missing kindly communicate to us.

Rgds

J.A. ANANDAKUMAR

From India, Karur
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.