View Poll Results: Who will held responsible for Attrition
Employee 49 9.35%
Boss 202 38.55%
Compensation & Job Profile 273 52.10%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

tsivasankaran

Hello
I went through this and I was impressed with the spirit with which it is done
I liked the post of Seema on Maslow Performane appraisal was ok but the reply could be more comprehensive\
Current topic is on Dismissal discharge termination etc.Let me wait for the correct answer and your verdict!!!! Can I correct if there is a mistake??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice discussion forum with great spirit Keep going
Siva

From India, Chennai
india_123
Hi,

Here is my explanation. Its just my perception. please correct me if anything goes wrong.

Dismissal – It’s a punishment to the employee received in consideration of his/her mis conduct or behaviour. Like if a person caught while misusing office confidential matters or when his/her deeds negatively effect the organization reputation he/she should be dismissed from his/her services. It’s the punishment that a person receives for his illegal deeds. I made a mistake in my previous post by mentioning it as a temporary removal. Here I would like to correct it as dismissal is a permanent removal.

Eg:

Unauthorized divulgation of any information regarding operation of the Company to any organization or persons including clients

Misbehavior with colleagues, superior officers or clients and so on….

Discharge : The word itself gives the meaning of releasing from duty or obligation. There are plenty of meanings for the same word. But when we compared it to our topic it’s nothing but officially relieving a person from his/her duties.

For Ex: Mr. Amith was joined in XYZ co. in the year 2005 by signing two years bond. Now he got an opportunity to work with some ABC co., which is more reputed than XYZ.. So officially he has the right to leave the company as per their commitment by serving notice period. And he can discharge from his duties as per their mutual agreement.

Termination: As earlier mentioned this is done during the Training / Probation Period of any employee. That means we have to specify the Appointment order that we may terminate their services if the performance of the employee is not satisfied. There is a similarity in between the terms Termination & Dismissal. When an employer is not satisfied with the performance of the employee he has the right to terminate his/her employment without giving prior notice. But whereas it has to be mentioned in the appointment or offer letter.

For example: A company hired a person called Arjun as a Trainee Recruiter & after completing the training period he/she may be placed on probabation. If they found Mr. Arjun is not fit for that position or if there is any other problems aroused because of arjun the company have the right to terminate means remove him from the services with or without notice period(depends on their agreement made in between the employer & employee)

Retrenchment: Its nothing but reducing the man power. Means reduction of expenditure by reducing the employee turnover.

Eg: If a company running in loss or if they contemplated that particular department is not running well and there is no use of existing, they will shut down the department and remove the staff in order to save the expenditure. Some times the company will pay them some compensation and sometimes not. It totally depends on which basis they are shutting down or removing the employees.

Regards

Sreeni :)

From Singapore, Singapore
tsivasankaran

Hello

1 Termination

This refers to the end of an employee's duration with an employer. Depending on the case,the decision could be made by the employee, employer or mutually agreed upon by both.

Termination in other words refers to cessation of employment.

It could be due to retirement resignation,dismissal or discharge or retrenchment.

There are two types of terminations

A. Voluntary termination

Resignation and Retirement due to age fall under this category.

B. Involuntary termination

Dismissal, discharge,Forced resignation,Retrenchment all fall under this category.

2. Dismissal

This refers to the employer's choice to let go the employee for a reason. The reason in the case of dismissal is always for a fault or misconduct committed. In colloquial language it is referred to as getting fired.There is stigma attached.

Dismissal is referred to as "Capital Punishment" in labour law parlance.

The severance here take place after conducting enquiries on the charges levelled.

3.Discharge

Discharge again is initiated at the instance of employer. Probably it has the origin for relieving the employee on medical grounds or on his inability to perform. Discharge is not a punitive action. It is generally considered that it has no stigma attached. But when we read Standing orders, we always see in pun punishments " a person can be dismissed or discharged" making it punitive in nature.If we use the terminology in a letter saying " you are discharged as you were found guilty of the misconducts" it is equivalent to dismissal and punitive in nature.

If we say "you are discharged as we have examined your medical reports and found that you are no longer capable of performing the duties assigned to you" does not carry a stigma.

There are instances, when we issue a discharge simpliciter. Probationers termination order falls in this category. (Municipal committee Sirsa Vs Munshi Ram 2003 SC) There were also cases where employees were issued with discharge simpliciter and evidenced rendered in the labour court. But we need to examine case to case basis.

Even though, discharge started with no stigma basis, we still have two types in todays context. One punitive action which has stigma attached and instead of using the word dismissal, the word discharge is used.

The other where no stigma is attached.

4. Retrenchment

Reduction in employee's strength .

Siva

From India, Chennai
thiruhrd
Dear Mr.Sreenu,
As mentioned by Preet, Your answer in your first post is correct and short but in the second post you have covered every thing and mentioned in brief which is very correct and every person can understand.
Congratulations Mr.Sreenu.... You are the Winner. Please put up question at the earliest.
Thanks & wish you all the best.
Thiru

From Germany, Herzogenaurach
tsivasankaran

Dear Thiru
I think the answer by Dipika is closer and correct Sreenis definitions are not correct. You must look at this closely again and pass your judgement
I reproduce deepikas answer. YTou also refer my response to this
Siva

From India, Chennai
preetk

Hi Sreeni,
congratulations. As confirmed by Thiru, you are the winner. However, I agree with Mr.Siva's comments, that Deepika's answer is most appropriate. However, Thiru is the person has to decide on the winner.
Preet

From India, Bangalore
tsivasankaran

Dear Preet
I appreciate the enthu. Good going But just look at the correctness
As postewd by me, Sreenis answer is not correct and Deepika,s is closer to right reply In fact hers is the right answer excepting the definition of Discharge. There also sometimes by mutual consent discharge takes place
Siva

From India, Chennai
thiruhrd
Dear Siva, As for as this post is concerned the appropriate answer given by Mr.Sreenu is correct. Ms.Deepika may also be correct but total acceptance is with Sreenu only. Thanks with Regards, Thiru
From Germany, Herzogenaurach
preetk

Hi Thiru,
I reviewed both the answers of Mr.Sreeni again. The first one is wrong as he swaped the answer with other terminology. The second answer seems to be correct, but the usage of explanation is also little bit not correct.
For example as Sreeni says the termination is only during training or probation. If you know the termination can be done for a confirmed employee also. He mentioned that the termination can be on poor performance. That may be one of the reason, and without assigning any reason also the employee can be terminated.
By seeing all this things, though Deepika didn't given any example, but the wording used by her is more clear and serve the purpose.
In my opinion as Mr.Siva said, Deepika should be the winner.
Preet

From India, Bangalore
india_123
Hi
I just need your confirmations on who is the winner. so that the person can go further.
If you think that Deepika is the winner. So let her have a chance to post the question.
Why to waste our time by simply making discussions. Whoever posts the question our bottom line is to get some information. Its not the matter of who wins the battle.. its the matter of getting right stuff from various HR people.
So Plz Proceed accordingly..
Regards
Sreeni

From Singapore, Singapore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.