Yogesh Nawale
I would like to know whether Transport Allowance or Conveyance allowance is not to be considered for calculating Profession Tax in W.B. Regards, Yogesh Nawale.9922950271
From India, Pune
JAWEDALAM

Dear Yogesh Nawale.

For the purpose of Professional Tax, "salary" or "wage" includes pay, dearness allowance and all.other remunerations received by any person on regular basis, whether payable in cash or in kind, and also includes perquisites, and profits in lieu of salary, as defined in section 17 of the Incometax Act, 1961 (43 of 1961);

Explanation.-For the purposes of this clause, the expression "on regular basis" shall mean for a period exceeding 180 days in a year.

And as per Income Tax Act, 1961, The CBDT has prescribed guidelines for the purpose of

clauses (i) and (ii) of Section 10(14) vide notification No.SO617(E) dated 7th July, 1995 (F.No.142/9/95-TPL)which has been amended vide notification SO No.403(E) dt 24.4.2000 (F.No.142/34/99-TPL). The transport allowance granted to an employee to meet his expenditure for the purpose of commuting between the place of his residence and the place of duty is exempt to the extent of Rs.800 per month vide notification

S.O.No. 395(E) dated 13.5.98.

So we can say if an employee is getting Rs. 5000/- as Conveyance Allowance then his taxable income for Conveyance Allowance will be Rs. (5000 - 800) monthly= monthly Rs. 4200/-.. In this way Rs. 4200/- will also be taken into a/c for Professional Tax.

I hope I m correct.

Regards.

Jawed Alam.

From India, Dhanbad
Yogesh Nawale
Hello Jawed, Thanks for your reply. Would like to understand one more thing, whether this is applicable only for West Bengal for all other states which has Profession Tax deductions.
From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.