BakerD@gc.adventist.org
Greetings.

You have a good question so I took time and thought on the subject and share the following with you. I hope it is helpful.

Successfully Strategies for Dealing with a Difficult Boss: Dealing with a difficult boss is like fraternizing with a porcupine--be wise, observant and give a wide berth. 

No seriously, I actually got involved in developing a pretty good list of possible strategies of working with a difficult or tough boss.  Here is my list of 21 Be's divided up into four categories:

Dealing with a difficult boss is like fraternizing with a porcupine--be wise, observant and give a wide berth. No seriously, I actually got involved in developing a pretty good list of possible strategies of working with a difficult or tough boss.  Here is my list of 21 Be's divided up into four categories:

BUILD RELATIONS

1. Be pleasant, don't be a pain, complainer or whiner.

2. Be balanced, optimistic and never never gossip about your boss.

3. Be winsome, friendly and all about serving others and making friends. 

4. Be fair and winsome in listening and communicating with your boss. 

5. Be open to honestly communicate about ways to work better together

INCREASE VALUE

6. Be solution oriented, develop solutions with every problem you conceive. 

7. Be sensitive that you may be part of the problem; be willing to adjust your style. 

8. Be aware of your job, company organization style and work it. 

9. Be a skilled communicator, perfect your 'show and tell' and document achievements. 

10. Be well informed about your responsibilities and share helpful info when appropriate--bosses like employees with initiative. 

DEVELOP STRATEGIES

11. Be seeking of ways to quietly find ways to be of assistance to your boss. 

12. Be diligent in documenting and keeping notes of key encounters and events.

13. Be wise in keeping a internal and external network when you need and don't need it. 

14. Be willing to get a coach to help work with job demands and expectations.

15. Be prepared to go to HR or to your boss's boss for advice or assistance. 

SET LIMITS 

16. Be clear and aware of what your limits are and what you will and won't take. 

17. Be list and details explicit of what behavior is problematic and why.  

18. Be well informed and responsive to performance and evaluation expectations. 

19. Be diligent to do your best but if all fails, leave with dignity, class and grace. 

20. Be careful to never burn bridges--leave friends, not foes. 

21. Be prayerful, if you're a person of faith, to trust God and providence.

So there you go. I hope this is helpful. 

D. Baker

From United States, Greenville
pon1965

what do you mean as "tough Boss"? We tend to term it as tough if the bosses are strict on targets. Think of his/her position, they may be tough due to the reason of their immediate boss is tough. As Anil said, if they are resorting to sexual harrassment, they can be termed as tough. Otherwise, regarding job if they are tough, it can be managed by knowing their priorities/expectations.
Pon

From India, Lucknow
arvind chittewale
my dear i only would like to say that focus on the situation , not the person.
I know advising is easy but the truth is that we need to respond to difficult situations and believe me we have the capacity that will come to fore only when we stop blaming the person or the situation.arvind

V. Rangarajan

Dear Saad,

As HR practioner in my consultsancy business and earlier in employment, since 15 years I would like to add with following:

In our career if we start with demanding environment including deadlines, bosses and targets, please take it as an opportunity to learn and come out with best results. If you expect your superior to be very Understanding and accommodative in all respects perhaps there is no management in the organisation. In career one has to put up with the situations of uncertainities. Without going to the bottom of the issue, it is difficult for others to make judgment with universally acceptable yardstick to label some one as good or bad or demanding boss. As I see you are in very early stage of your career. Change is parmanent in the career journey. Things will change eventually but certainly to balance the times.

By the way demanding situation or boss will have price tag in terms of emoluments for you . If you feel you are getting lower remunerations for whatever is the worth, you have the options wide open to address the issue with HR departmental higher ups. Handle with care. Do it and stay connected with destressing activity like meditation, sports or any vocation that relaxes your mental climate.

Most importantly have you developed interactive and honest communication approach with your boss and other colleagues? If not please activate this areas also.

Regards.

V. Rangarajan.

From India, Pune
sam_2222
Its all Rubhish Expalining Boss.. When There is an Ego Problem Present you have to be Extraordinary. That’s the req. — SAM
From India, Vapi
sneha joshi

Hi...
Just want to say a one thing...
Every situation has been passed as this also... try to divert your mind from this thing.. i know its difficult but you should try....
Just remember how you put yourself one more step further whatever constraint may come....
may be you feel some stress by the behavior of your boss but might be its called the CORPORATE...
now and then every one pass through it.. pass and learnt something only this thing keep in your mind..
and yes... don't take all this in heart.... hear from one ear and.... you know the rest...;)
All the best....... be happy and forget the worst situation.... :)

From India, Pune
Nkiru Martins
If yur boss is TOUGH!!! you already have a headstart in your career.
The pressure should cause you to buckle up.
Know that the only way to impress that person is by your RESULTS!!!!
Make his/her objective your objective. Make his/her goal your goal.
You may need to cut out the emotions out of the relationship and stick with the BOTTOMLINE.
And if you u don't feel apprecate for exceeding expectations, give your self your own tap on your back.
WELCOME TO THE CORPORATE JUNGLE!!!
NOTE: When you are a BOSS don't repeat the cycle.
HR & BUSINESS PARTNER SOLUTIONS

From Nigeria, Lagos
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.