ralstonraz

Hi,

Yes that is a sad situation, in some cases a reality that we are left to live with especially if the exiting employee has the skill sets for which the recruiting company is in dire need off.

Reference check is something that we do not follow to the 'T', only if it is a data sensitive organisation, where the employees interity is required to be like a whiteboard, do companies invest in a through reference check.

For companies using SAP, this is issue is taken care at a certain level. When an employee leaves a company that has SAP implemented for HRIS etc., the HR here can put a red flag on his profile in case the employee has left on a bad note. If this same employee joins another company that has SAP implemented, the software does not allow the company to create the employee profile and throws up an error message. Here the recruiting company has to request the details of the same from the previous company. As SAP is a software that is databased over the internet, the data is avaliable across all the users (companies).

Thus, the only solution is that we look inward in our recruitment policy and make reference check to be an integral part of the system, on which we make our hiring decisions.

From India, Mumbai
unusual_indu

Dear Ms Maria
Thank you for your views .I am sorry to hear that you are facing such anunfortunate situation.My suggestion to you is forget about the salary part(even though I understand it is hard earned money),concentrate on the documents that are needed .Try to get your releiving letter and experience certificate as that is going to help you get a better job in future.After you get the documents then you can think about taking a legal action to claim your dues(this is my personal opinion)
I hope it makes sense to you
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
unusual_indu

Dear Raistonraz
Thank you very much for your valuable comments .I have no exposure to erp and hence I was not aware of this functionality available with SAP Hr module .Thank you for educating me and other fellow community members on the same .
Currently I do the reference checks by my own but with the inputs that you have given I will try to make the system of background verification even stronger
Thank you once again
Keep posting
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
unusual_indu

Dear Mr/Ms Kayal
Thank you for your valuable comments and thank you for sharing with us your experiences relevant to this topic .It feels great to know that you and your company are serious about ethics and values and adhere to the same even at the cost of losing a good candidate.
Keep up the good work
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
Sinharajnish
to continue from my last post.......
Apart from above problems, as a Hr person we must first identify other such problems and then only we can search for a solution of these problems.
We can definitely start a movement but i feel that it will be superficial.
We have to make our practices so strong that we can touch the soul of human factor in the organisation, so that a indvidual, first of all should not think to leave the organisation and even in extreme case if he think so, he should feel ethical to give notice to employer before leaving the job.
The HR must keep a track of such person if possible, and inform the factuals of employee to his new organisation. Requesting them to ask to serve the notice.
This effort of HR will result in two outcomes first the employee will have the feeling that his previous employer still thinks about him and the other that employer will become more cautious while dealing with such employee.
Regards
Rajnish

From India, Raipur
Maria Merlin
Dear Ms. Indrani,
thank you for ur spontaneous reply and suggestion...:)
in my case i agree with ur suggestion and let me get my docs first...
even i thought of doing the same. this problem is not only for me, it is for all the employees. i feel that these kind of management shud be taught some lesson to realise what they r doing....
regards,
Maria Merlin

From India, Madras
nandita_venkatesh
Hi Everyone,
Ref. Checks are another area where a discussion is needed. The candidate gives you references or you dig out someone whom you could ask about the candidate. Then, in that case would it really be confidential.

From India, Bangalore
unusual_indu

Dear Ms Nandita
I agree with you "Background verification can also be an important area of discussion .These days companies have started physical verification wherein they actually go the new joinees previous office to find out information about him and yes we can also get professional help from background verification agencies
Let me share with you what I got to know from a friend(?) of mine .She carries 2 mobiles and whenever she is asked about a reference number she gives one of her mobile numbers and she herself answers all the queries of the HR posing as her senior ....is it not surprising ?
Fortunately or unfortunately she has been able to get away with this trick every time but only God can save her if her profile gets scrutinised by a professional background verification agency ....
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
debashisroy

Dear Indrani,

What you say is true, but being in the HR I too have my experiences where the management feels that employees are bonded labourers and can deal with them anyway they like making their own laws.

We must realize that a clappping can always be done with two hands, the root cause analysis of every problem must be done to rectify it , instead of crying over spilt milk.

Why such a situation arises , when an employee behaves like that ?

Why does he join another organisation without proper relieving ?

A lot of companies are facing resources crunch, and they donot usually go through the background checks of every new joiner if they find him/her suitable for the job.

It's also true that some companies have different ways to deter employees of thinking of joining other organisations easily by using the following means : bonds for 2 - 5 years / notice period of 2 - 3 months etc.,

One the other hand employees must also understand that when companies spend a huge amount of time and money in their training and development, they must follow the right ethics of completing the assignments that they have been entrusted with before parting.

Exits should always be pleasing and graceful and a time to be remembered.

It is always a give and take relationship from both sides.

There are examples to show that in certain companies employees come back and rejoin when they find their experiences elsewhere not to their liking.

Employees and Employers cannot do with each other , they are partners in progress.

That relationship needs to nurtured.

In an era when business means time and money, such a culture is hard to develop.

Well, these were my thoughts....experiences of my fellow hr members are sure to follow

Regards

Debashis

From India, Lucknow
Govil Nanda

Hey Indu
I completly agree with you. I'm working in a manufactoring sector, we have a quite high attrition rate, but still we have made it a point that all the documents have to be intact and we follow it religiously.
Looking for your comments.
Regards
Govil Nanda

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.