View Poll Results: Who will held responsible for Attrition
Employee 49 9.35%
Boss 202 38.55%
Compensation & Job Profile 273 52.10%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

lavanya_april

Hi All,
I appreciate the efforts putforth by SAMEER and JOHN. :o
I believe, John gave a clear picture of the topic under discussion. But lets give a chance to newcomer SAMEER. :)
So, SAMEER go ahead and post your next question. :P
If we dont get a question from SAMEER till tomo noon, I request JOHN to post his question. :wink:
Regards,
Lavanya.

From India, Madras
preetk

Hi Sameer,
As announced by Lavanya, you are the winner to post the next question. Congratulations. You can post your question now, but you need to post it today evening itself as we can't waste one day. So that people will get time till tomorrow afternoon to answer.
Hi John
Good going. Great answers, and you have very good knowledge. Keep it up.
Lavanya could you pls post your answer also.
Preet

From India, Bangalore
Sameeroflko

Dear All,
Thanks to all of you for appreciating my answer.
This is a knowledge sharing forum, and not a contest forum, therefore we should only appreciate ideas & the persons who believe in sharing their knowledge with other.
Dear Lavanya, as you said that John answer is perfect, it will be un-justice with him if somebody else post the question.
I extend my appreciation to John, and request him to post next question.
Thanks & Regards,

From India, Calcutta
preetk

Hi Sameer,
We appreciate your point, however, John can post question, but why we asked you to post question is we need everyone to participate actively in this thread. John also will post question, and he has done in the past. The knowledge you may be having, may not be the same with me or John or Lavanya or Seema and many more who are playing this game. It is not only for sharing knowledge, also it is like a game the person who has posted the question only can declare the winner. Though I have initiated this thread, I can't declare the winner unless and otherwise, I have posted the question. Hence, Lavanya has declared you as the winner, so you need to post the next question. No one for that sake, will get upset because of their best answer, not given chance to post next question.
Anyways, do let us know ur opinion, but still if are not interested in posting the next question, we can ask John to post it.
Preet

From India, Bangalore
raajz_johnny

Dear Lavanya
Greetings!
Thanks for your wishes and views.
Preet:
Well said preet. As u said, we will give opportunity for the new entrants. Let sameer can post the question or else I will post by 13:00 Hrs.
Rgds,
John N

From India, Madras
raajz_johnny

Dear All
Greetings!
My questions are
1. What is meant by Contingent Workers
2. What is Jury Duty
3. What are the components of a compensation system?
4. What are regulations affecting compensation
Rgds,
John N

From India, Madras
raajz_johnny

Dear All Greetings! My questions are Contingent Workers Jury Duty What are the components of a compensation system? What are regulations affecting compensation Rgds, John N
From India, Madras
lavanya_april

Hi John,

I got some info on the topic. Correct me if i am wrong.

Contingent workers:

By Audrey Freeman:

Conditional and transitory employment arrangements as initiated by a need for labor--usually because a company has an increased demand for a particular service or a product or technology, at a particular place, at a particular time.

By Barker and Christensen:

Contingent work is generally thought to include those jobs that are done on temporary, self-employed contract, or involuntary part-time bases.

Jury Duty:

Jury Duty is a paid administrative absence for employees who are called upon for service as a jury member or as a material witness.

Components of compensation system:

Compensation will be perceived by employees as fair if based on systematic components. Various compensation systems have developed to determine the value of positions. These systems utilize many similar components include

• Job descriptions obtained from Job analysis and Job evaluation

• Salary ranges/structures,

• Written procedures.

Regulations related to Compensation

1. Payment of wages Act

2. Payment of minimum wages Act

Regards,

Lavanya.

From India, Madras
raajz_johnny

Dear All

Greetings!

The answer for my questions are as follows

1. Contingent Workers

The temporary or contingent workforce is the fastest growing segment of the national workforce. Contingent workers are those who are hired through staffing firms or leasing companies and whose jobs are structured to last only a certain length of time. The contingent workforce may include part-time temporary workers, independent contractors, consultants, contract employees, leased employees, and direct hires. Other than some leased long-term employees, most contingent workers are considered "temporary" and therefore the terms "contingent" and "temporary" are often used synonymously. While most companies hire only a few contingent workers at a time, some firms may lease their entire workforce on a quasi-permanent basis

Using contingent workers may provide employers with flexibility and cost-savings. However, there are numerous legal and practical considerations that employers must take into account before utilizing contingent workers.

2. [b]Jury duty[/b]

Although most employers pay employees on leave for jury service, employers are not legally obligated to do so in every case. Under the Fair Labor Standards Act t (FLSA), employers must pay full salaries to exempt employees who are absent from work for less than 1 week to perform jury service. However, the employer may deduct any jury duty fees that the employee receives from the court. The FLSA does not require payment when an exempt employee is absent for 1 or more weeks during which no work is performed. Employers are not required to pay nonexempt employees while on leave for jury service. The same requirements apply to employees who must appear as a witness or a defendant in a court case.

3. The components of a compensation system include:

Job Descriptions:

A critical component of both compensation and selection systems, job descriptions define in writing the responsibilities, requirements, functions, duties, location, environment, conditions, and other aspects of jobs. Descriptions may be developed for jobs individually or for entire job families.

Job Analysis:

The process of analyzing jobs from which job descriptions are developed. Job analysis techniques include the use of interviews, questionnaires, and observation.

Job Evaluation A system for comparing jobs for the purpose of determining appropriate compensation levels for individual jobs or job elements. There are four main techniques: Ranking, Classification, Factor Comparison, and Point Method.

Pay Structures:

It Useful for standardizing compensation practices. Most pay structures include several grades with each grade containing a minimum salary/wage and either step increments or grade range. Step increments are common with union positions where the pay for each job is pre-determined through collective bargaining.

Salary Surveys Collections of salary and market data. May include average salaries, inflation indicators, cost of living indicators, salary budget averages. Companies may purchase results of surveys conducted by survey vendors or may conduct their own salary surveys. When purchasing the results of salary surveys conducted by other vendors, note that surveys may be conducted within a specific industry or across industries as well as within one geographical region or across different geographical regions. Know which industry or geographic location the salary results pertain to before comparing the results to your company.

4. What are regulations affecting compensation?

FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act )

Lavanya:

4th question answer is wrong. Since no one have post the answer, you are the winner and you can post the next question.

The winner is LAVANYA

Rgds,

John N

From India, Madras
lavanya_april

Hi John, Thanks for the comments. FLSA, i too saw in the net, but thought its for US. Is it applicable to Indian employers also? Thanks and Regards, Lavanya.
From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.