Korgaonkar K A
Kadam Rupali
Assistant Manager - Hr And Admin
+1 Other

Thread Started by #jakeer12

Dear Seniors,
"As per BOCW act Sec 40) e) the erection, installation, use and maintenance of hoists, lifting appliances and lifting gear including periodical testing and examination and heat treatment, where necessary, precautions to be taken while raising or lowering loads, restrictions on carriage of persons and appointment of competent persons and appointment of competent persons on hoists or other lifting appliances." I am very happy with Indian acts and Rules but thing is I am just confused with the some rules(like which i mentioned above). My question is In above section by whom the lifting equipment to be certified and what is his qualifications?
28th August 2015 From India, Bangalore
Dear Jakeer12,
Tests and periodical examinations of lifting appliances are to be carried out by competent person.
Competent person is a person approved by a State Government, possessing adequate qualification, experience and skill for the purposes of testing, examination or annealing and certification of lifting appliances, lifting gears, wire ropes or pressure plant or equipment etc.
Hope I have answered to your query.
28th August 2015 From India, Mumbai
Dear Jakeer, We have done before from certified structural engineer.
29th August 2015 From India, Mumbai
Dear Madam,
You are requested to pull out the certificates issued to you in this regards and see it again who has issued it to you.
I am not an expert person but still my question to you is, how the structural engineer can issue you the certificate of tests / periodical examinations of lifting appliances? According to me examination of lifting appliances / tackles is a subject of Mechanical or Electrical or Metallurgical Engineering and not of structural or civil engineering. I may be wrong.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
29th August 2015 From India, Mumbai
Dear Sir,
We have done periodical examination through person approved by a State Government. May be i am wrong about his qualification as structural Engineer. His Qualification is ME.Who have given us Form number 11 which is prescribed for report of examination of lifting,machine,rope and lifting tackles.
I have Form no.11.Give me your mail id , if you require copy of same for your reference.
29th August 2015 From India, Mumbai
Dear Rupali ji,
Thanks for reverting.
The signing authority i.e. competent person may be a ME in Mechanical or Electrical or Metallurgical and may not be in structural or civil engineering.
Structural or Civil Engineer can not be a competent person for examination of lifting appliances / tackles, to my common sense. I once again say, I may be wrong.
Other experts are requested to comment.
29th August 2015 From India, Mumbai
Dear Sir, You are correct. Qualification of our competent person is BE Mech.( Chartered engineer competent person.)
29th August 2015 From India, Mumbai
Reply (Add What You Know) Start New Discussion

Cite.Co - is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors. Register Here and help by adding your inputs to this topic/query page.
Prime Sponsor: TALENTEDGE - Certification Courses for career growth from top institutes like IIM / XLRI direct to device (online digital learning)

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2019 Cite.Co™