Dear Experts,
Can you pls tell me can we get Gratuity amount to be paid in following case:
*Grauity is a part of CTC, it is deducted every month, kept at Employer side, employee has completed only 1 year and Employer terminates due to Layoff/ Retrenchment/ merger/shutdown/closing the company?
In above case Employee did not resign but Employer terminated almost 70% of the employees due to shutdown.
Pls suggest? I know that it is not paid untill employee does not complete 5 years but what about in the case explained above?
Can any victim claim the gratuity in any of the above cases?

From India, Mumbai
You are not eligible for Gratuity, since you have not completed 5 years service. On the contrary the employer has to give you retrenchment benefits only
From India, Ahmadabad
This topic has been discussed in the forum several times, kindly do research to have a better idea.
Please find below the extract of conditions for retrenchment
2[25F. Conditions precedent to retrenchment of workmen. —No workman employed in any industry who has been in continuous service for not less than one year under an employer shall be retrenched by that employer until—
(a) the workman has been given one month's notice in writing indicating the reasons for retrenchment and the period of notice has expired, or the workman has been paid in lieu of such notice, wages for the period of the notice;
(b) the workman has been paid, at the time of retrenchment, compensation which shall be equivalent to fifteen days' average pay 4[for every completed year of continuous service] or any part thereof in excess of six months; and
(c) notice in the prescribed manner is served on the appropriate Government 5[or such authority as may be specified by the appropriate Government by notification in the Official Gazette]].

From India, Ahmadabad
Hi Mamta
Your query can be answered in two parts.
Part 1:
Since the employee has not completed 5 years hence is not eligible for gratuity.
Also since his/her employment or during the course of employment has not resulted in any permanent disability or death the gratuity cannot be paid ( case where payments are made for having less than 5 yrs of continuous services)
Part 2:
the employee has completed 1 yr of continuous service and hence has been retrenched/laid-off depending upon the nature of cause of termination.
I hope the employer gave prior notice (min 1 month) of retrenchment to the employees and had approval from appropriate authorities.
In case the retrenchment is valid and not void retrenchment compensation is paid to the employees in lieu (instead ) of the notice period at an aveage of 15 days salary.
I hope it clears all doubts now.

From India, Pune
Dear Sir/Madam,
I have rendered my service in an organization for 5.8 years. I resigned on 28/02/2013... relieved on 8th March 2013... till date they have not settled my gratuity amount.. repeatedly i have forwarded my request through emails and letters... kindly suggest me sir... what are next step to be taken...

From India, Hubli
Have you filled Form - 1 as per act please find below the extract
In case the employee is not paid the due amount of gratuity he should apply, ordinarily within thirty days, in Form-I to the employer. Is an employer fails to pay due gratuity even after the receipt of notice in Form-1, the claimant employee or his nominee or legal heir, may within ninety days of the occurrence of the case for the application, should apply in Form-IV, to the Controlling Authority for issuing direction to the employer. After conducting the enquiry as prescribed, the Controlling Authority will determine the amount payable and direct the employer to make the payment. If the employer fails to comply with the direction the Controlling Authority can direct the Collector to recover the amount due and pay to the applicant.

From India, Ahmadabad
Dear Friend,
I fully agree with the views expressed by Siji. You may follow his advise to apply for legitimate Gratuity amount.
Sibabrata Majumdar
Management Consultants Legal & HR

From India, Calcutta
Dear Friend,
They might have shown the gratuity component as part of your CTC. They can't deduct gratuity from your salary. Most of the Pvt organisations who are following the CTC structure do indicate the gratuity component in their CTC structure but they are not liable to pay the gratuity if you have not completed the mandatory 5 yrs service.

From India, Lucknow
Dear Saji, thanku very much for your suggestion. i have already applied through form No. I... If you could kindly provide me Form IV, it would be of great help.. Thanking you. regards Sneha
From India, Hubli
I am sorry it is not Form IV it is Form T

Please find the format as below you can get the forms downloaded from the Site

[See rule19]

Application for recovery of gratuity

Before the Controlling Authority under the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972.

Application No ………………… Date …………………

Between ……………………………………

[Name in full of the applicant with address]


[Name in full of the employer with full address]

The applicant is an employee of the above-mentioned employer/a nominee of late …………… an employee of the above mentioned employer/a legal heir of late ………………, an employee of the above mentioned employer, and you were pleased to direct the said employer in your notice dated the ……………… under rule ………………… of the Payment of Gratuity (Central) Rules, 1972 for payment of a sum of Rs …………… as gratuity payable under the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972.


The applicant submits that the said employer failed to pay the said amount of gratuity to me as directed by you although I approached him for payment.


The applicant therefore prays that a certificate may be issued under section ……………… of the said Act for the recovery of the said sum of Rs ………………… due to me as gratuity in terms of your direction.

Place Signature/Thumb impression


of the applicant

From India, Ahmadabad

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views using the reply box below. For articles and copyrighted material please only cite the original source link. Each contribution will make this page a resource useful for everyone.

Please Login To Add Reply

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2021 CiteHR.Com™

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server