Practicing Chartered Accountant
Training, Motivational Speaker, Writing,
Since you are from HR and the FB and Twitter updates pertain to the IT domain, it is best that the content be generated by some authorized technical people from within the company. Alternately get a proper brief from the management about the communication they intend to disburse through the social media. Ideally thereafter get some professional content writer to draft the communication and once you get the feel of it and if you feel confident, then you can take on this responsibility.
As far as content goes, I presume the audience is primarily existing and potential clients and so it has to be related to your product offerings of your company. This is best decided by your management.
Trust my suggestions will help you put across your views to your management effectively.
30th August 2013 From India, Mumbai
31st August 2013 From India, New Delhi
If the company has existing blogs go through the contents to get an idea of the various topics they blog on. This could give you an understanding of the topics and the style of writing.
I suggest you fix a periodicity for updates maybe be weekly/ fortnightly etc. so that you have a schedule and commitment. Prepare some topics to write on and also ask around for suggestions / ideas for you to write on. Once you write the article also have a benchmark of roughly how many words the post will contain so that there is uniformity in posts. If you can identify some colleagues who have a good grasp of the English language seek their help to improve the contents/ edit the article and to proof read it for grammar and spelling mistakes.
Here are a few tips to write better
Have a clear topic / subject line
Visualize the audience you will be writing for so that you can draft the contents appropriately.
Outline 3- 5 sub titles , each of which contains one idea which can be elaborated
Ensure that the flow between paragraphs is smooth and linked to each other.
If possible ensure the last para can recap the key points and also summarize the thrust of the article.
To get an idea of how I go about writing my blogs which by and large incorporate the above points, I suggest you visit my Inspirational and Motivational blogs listed below
31st August 2013 From India, Mumbai
Congratulations on this new responsibility. Managing the Social Page for your firm in every Social Domain, will not just add on to your professional acumen, but help your firm build better listening mechanism. Your audience are your employees, clients and members to these domains. Hence the content that you share need to cater all of them.
Few days back, Sid had suggested me to use Hootsuite. Its wonderful, so I recommend you to give it a try. It allows you to send updates to upto 5 domains at once. You can even schedule your updates. It will help you streamline your work. Once you feed the updates at Hootsuite and time them, you can use the rest of the day to interact with the members and users.
Please consider my suggestions:
- Share updates about your firm, such as a new product launch, or a project going live.
- Acknowledge every initiative taken to develop the firm, such a ISO Standards, Six sigma and CSR Activities
- Encourage your employees to share the pictures from R&R , team outing , training and other culture-building activities.
- Share blogs best aligned to your business.
- Invite business leaders within and outside your firm to share on the official page.
- Each time you organise an internal event or a celebration , use the page to promote the campaign.
- If your firm is attending a job fair , Tech fest or any other public events, share them with the link to the event. Encourage the attendees to share the updates with picture and videos on the page. Let it remain both formal and informal.
- Call for contest such a quiz about the firm or business or even any area of your employee's interest. Contest works best to create an engagement. If you want to run one, let us know. We'll help you with it.
- Encourage your partners and customers to share news on the page . If you are sharing any update about them, tag them.
- Give a shout-out to any team or an employee . You can do the same with your partners and customers.
- If ever you receive a negative comment, involve the best leaders within the firm, to respond. Never ignore them. Opening up a platform to answer , will build your brand.
- Share at least one update a day about a fun at work or even a motivational content. A picture or a quote can serve the purpose.
- Comment when someone shares something related to your business or your firm.
- Share a live update about any important event at work. A live update can create a better buzz.
- Blogging is great, but requires time. Plan for it, only once your content is ready.
- Revisit your firm's achievement and share it as an 'Walking down the memory lane- update'.
Schedule your work, with at least 1 update about the firm every day, 2 knowledge-sharing posts, few interactions and moderation. That way it will remain productive.
You can even invite your social-savvy employees as contributors and moderators to the page. This will create a high engagement level.
Please let us know if you found them doable. Looking forward to hear from you.
2nd September 2013 From India, Mumbai