Business Development, Employee Relations,
Placement Consultancy
Andrew Rao
Head-hr & Admin
Start Up Consultant
Human Resource Executive
Software Developer
+1 Other

Thread Started by

Dear Seniors,
I am working in a software company and we have recently started a sister concern. There is a manager who has recently been confirmed in my organization and by boss wants him to get shifted in the new sister concern with a higher designation.
My query is, do I have to give a new offer letter to the Manager on the letter head of the sister concern or do I only give him a letter for promotion.
Please help
30th July 2013 From India, Mumbai
Should give him a fresh appointment letter , mentioning the transfer , promotion and other clauses as per your Sister company.
Is the sister company in the same state or other . if in another location then need to provide all the eminities for transfer employees such as
Salary as the states cost of living.
Relocation allowances
Hardship allowance.
Transfer of his household material/ family one time fare charges will be on employer.
B.Anand Kumar
30th July 2013 From United Kingdom, London
Issue him a new offer letter under Sister Concern Letter Ahead.
Ensure you collect the resignation letter for parent company. Now if management wants to have continuity of the service for the employee with same start date as parent company, it needs to be accounted with proper documentation which I guess the CS will guide you on this matter depending on the model of business enterprise your parent company and sister firm is registered as.
Ideally to avoid any such legal problems and other issues connected with it, its advice to seek resignation and issue new appointment letter.
Your parent company has to nothing to do with his appointment. Remember, there are legal liability.

30th July 2013 From Saudi Arabia, Riyadh
Generally the appointment letter contains the clause that "you may be transferred or deputed to any of our branches, sister concerns or associate companies with/without extra benefits.............................." If the appointment letter says so no fresh letter needs to be issued except a transfer letter with or without relocation assistance as deems fit by the organisation.
30th July 2013 From India, Mumbai
The clause you mentioned would be used against employee if he/she refuses to such transfer. However, due to certain legal implication, it is required to issue a new offer letter under the new firm due to various statutory requirements and certain legal liability clauses.
Besides, the entity/understanding in which both companies have been formed and registered between them matters, hence it always advised to involve CS in such matters. But most of cases I handled CS and Law personnel's have suggested to go with new offer letter, if the service of employee in subject is less then a year or so.
30th July 2013 From Saudi Arabia, Riyadh
@uk Mitra
Since it was an open ended question the advise was open ended. Never new that legal implications are involved. How ever it differs from case to case and verticals to verticals.
Thanks for your intervention.
30th July 2013 From India, Mumbai
Since it appears to be a case where the management is rewarding and reposing faith in this person for what he has done; it would be important to look after his long term well being and avoid a break in service that would affect his statutory gains. Slightly cumbersome yes, but nothing a decent CS cant make good.
30th July 2013 From India, Mumbai
First you need to decide whther the two units are indepedent units or integrated with each other and whether the shift to the sister concern is after resignation from the parent unit or not in order to decide whether you should issue him a fresh appointment letter or order of transfer with promotion.
In-Hous e

30th July 2013 From India, Mumbai
Saiconsult.. I think Sadaf Khan is asking our help to make that very decision. Is that right Sadaf? Also, what is your CS saying?
31st July 2013 From India, Mumbai
@ Executor,
Yes my query is that whether I should issue a new offer letter to the Manager as he has been promoted and due to this his roles and responsibilities have been changed however, the sister concern is a small unit with 4-5 employees at the moment and my parent company is holds a strength of 50 employees.
The manger has still not resigned from the parent company and my boss wants him to shift to this small unit. So basically he will be the only Sr. Manager for this sister concern.
31st July 2013 From India, Mumbai
Thanks Sadaf... I think, in that case, your query has been commented upon by Ukmitra, Saiconsult and myself. I think based on these you should have word with your CS and go ahead.
do take this start performer into confidence since he might be a tad uncomfortable going from a large company to a start-up. Do note that he would suddenly be losing his EPF benefits and such like. So you and your CS will need to sit with him, approach his concerns (if any) with transparency and aid him to take the decision that your company wants him to take. Do remember, it is in the company's interest you want this shift, to make him agree to it - and feel good about it, is going to be your task.
Let us know what happens.
All the best to both of you.
31st July 2013 From India, Mumbai
My inputs are only to help Sadaf to deal with the situation since it is the comapny that should decide whether sister concern is an indpendent unit engaged in a different business line or is it part of the Parent unit, formed to supplement the business of parent unit in which case there can be transfer to the sister concern with promotion.If there is no issue of independent units and it is immeterial, then as you said, it is advisable to treat it as a mere transfer to protect continuity of servcie and other benefits llike P.F and gratuity to reawrd an efficient employee . I agree with you.
31st July 2013 From India, Mumbai
Dear All,
Sister concern has not been defined in Indian IT act and it often is used for such entities which has same directors of the parent company as stake holders.
I am not sure, if the sister concern in question, is a legal entity at all. In such case, there is no need to issue fresh employment letter. One can issue promotion letter with transfer order to the relevant department/wing/sister concern. Necessary changes in wage and attendance register can be made.
If the sister concern is a separate legal entity, in that case, you have to follow complete separation process as per relevant rules and then follow complete joining and induction process in the new entity.

1st August 2013 From India, Delhi
Hi to all
am working in IT sister company which is not registered company in IT.I VE checked mca21 website .so my question is that in future my experience is may become valid for mnc companies or not?
7th January 2015 From India, Chennai
Reply (Add What You Know) Start New Discussion

Cite.Co - is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors. Register Here and help by adding your inputs to this topic/query page.
Prime Sponsor: TALENTEDGE - Certification Courses for career growth from top institutes like IIM / XLRI direct to device (online digital learning)

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2019 Cite.Co™