One of the first things you would need to look at is whether the Organization has a competency framework and what are the essential competencies for a particular level of employees. Most Organizations these days base a lot of their training (Leadership being a huge chunk), based on the Competency Framework. Incase if the Organization does not have one, the start point would be to do an intervention to build the same.
Post that, the critical competencies thus identified, can be a part of the Leadership Program. Anywhere between 3 Days to a week of in class as well as one-on-one Coaching form part of Leadership Training Programs.
In case if you wish to know more, request you to drop in your email id, and if you may have any further questions.
9th January 2012 From India, Bangalore
I normally clarify the following with your management first:
1. Should it lead to a qualification
2. Should it only create awareness
3. Should it have an impact on a spesific business area (the way we manage our people, handle finance, handle production)
4. Is it a once-off or can you develop a series of solutions
5. Is it really important or just to "so something"
Once you have your mandate you need to clarify
DESIGN CRITERIA AND DELIVERY
1. Will employees be able to attend class-room training
2. Should it be on-job coaching
3. Should there be an assessment
4. Should you in-source or outsource
2. Blended solutions to achieve the outcomes
3. Approval of your material
DELIVERY and MANAGEMENT TRACKING
Hope I assisted you to gain some ideas
10th January 2012 From South Africa, Fietas