Dear all,
I am working as an asst manager-hr in a fmcg co.I got married almost a year back.In my contact address my residential address is given and after marriage I have not changed it to my in-laws address as in my residential address proof my parental address is given.In the appointment letter of the company it is mentioned an employee needs to inform the management in case of change in residential address.Nowhere in the appointment letter it is mentioned that an woman employee needs to submit in-laws address after marriage. Now,GM-HRD is pressurising me to give my in-laws address to the company.Kindly advise am I bound to give my in-laws address to the company ?

From India, Calcutta
Industrial Relations
Hussain Zulfikar
Hris Implementation, Payroll, Recruitment,
Hr Generalist
Recruitment/talent Acquisition, Career Counselling
Raj Kumar Hansdah
Shrm, Od, Hrd, Pms
Hr, Ir, Law, Disc. Matters
Gm-hr & Training
Hr In Chemline India Limited
Asst.manager Hr
+5 Others

Use factoHR and automate your HR processes

Mobile-first hire to retire HR and Payroll software that automates all HR operations and works as a catalysts for your organisational growth.


Once you are married, your hubby house becomes yours as per our Indian customs. you need to change your address to the present one. Pon
From India, Lucknow
Dear Pon,
I realy agree with you, but now a days most of the women employees are prefer to stick up with their previous names only, they are not changing their names after marriage.
In this situation what a role HR can play ?
can somebody will through a more light on this issue ?
what are the consequences of it legaly ?
Would appreciate more views on this issue.

From India, Mumbai
Hussain Zulfikar

With reference to the posting, if you have changed your residence address from your parents house to your In-laws house, what is the harm in informing the company regarding change in address. what is the fuss all about. Its a simple change in address, just like you would shift from one house to another. Also in your query you mentioned that, its a clause in your employment contract to inform company about change in address.

From Kuwait, Salmiya
Gaurav Sareen

Hello fellow CiteHRs,

I love this debate. Because, its not really about address updates. Instead, its about individuals' mind-sets and 'thinkings'.

Whilst I realise that being a patriarchal society, it is automatically assumed that post-marriage, a woman's entire identity magically owes its allegiance to her marital apparatus.

However, let's just look around ourselves - especially at professional women who've earned a significant mileage prior to getting married. And, what we find there is not surprising at all.

A large percentage of them either don't change their surnames. Or, if they do, they simply add their husband's surname after their original name (including their maiden surname). And, as far as I am concerned, it is not just appropriate, but entirely normal.

And, like any reasonable argument, the above can also be extended to the context of residential addresses.

However, the issue here is not that Aparajita has any qualms of supplying her employer with the address of her marital home. Instead, she objects to providing them with her in-laws' address.

And, in my view, her position is entirely appropriate. Because, it is no business of any employer to know where their employees' relatives live. Because, if such was to be the case, then where do we draw the line? Do we start supplying our siblings' addresses, their in-laws' addresses etc...

I think her GM HR is being entirely unreasonable. Because, he/she was to be challenged in an appropriate legal surround, he/she would literally have no legs to stand their argument on. Because, at its very core, it is fundamemtally baseless and nonsensical.

From India, Gurgaon
Hussain Zulfikar

Hi Gaurav

Interesting Contribution from your side, I agree with you. I feel that when a man and woman gets married, this are two individuals coming together promising each other to spend life together. why should women adjust with lots of things such as as change in name, leave parents house and go to In-law's house, change surnames etc. infact, both man and woman shall take equal steps towards each other,

Instead of women coming to husband's father's house, they should both leave seperately in another house, if due to economical or emotional reasons couple is not able to do so, then there should be mutual agreement between Man and Wife regarding staying at one of the parent's house.

A woman leaving her house after marriage is considered absolutely normal, where as if a Man chooses to be a "ghar-jamaai" he is mocked in the society, how silly !!

Old traditions are not challenged, and those who do, are ridiculed as bad mannered etc etc.

With reference to my earlier post here, what I mean is, if the woman has left her house and shifted to her in-laws house to reside there, a company has a right to know the current address of employee, for communication purposes. In my experience, company asks for 2 addresses, one where the person resides and an alternative adddress of a relative, guardian or so, just in case of emergency.

From Kuwait, Salmiya
Raj Kumar Hansdah

Dear Aparajita
There is no need to complicate the issue.
It is an established fact (which you agree to) that an employee should inform the management, in case of a change of address.
It is immaterial, whether it is caused due to :
  • the need for a better accommodation;
  • preference for a locality;
  • change in status of property (from rented to one's own or vice-versa)
  • or for any other reason such as marriage.
Now, it seems as if you have invited your colleagues including your GM to your marriage ceremony; and the gentleman seems to have been fixated by "your in-laws". Please ignore this fact (or otherwise).
If you have changed your address; which is generally the case; give your new address.
If you are still staying with your parents; just tell your GM FIRMLY, THAT THERE HAS BEEN NO CHANGE in your residential address status.
I hope you would find the above helpful.
Warm regards.

From India, Delhi

Hello Aparajita,
I am with Raj Kumar.
Looks like the whole discussion is being confused & digressed from a 'change of address' issue to the 'reason(s)' & 'logic' reg the change of address--notice the difference?
For a moment, forget that your marriage is the 'cause' for the change of your address. If your parents [IF you are living with them] OR you [assuming you live separately in some shared acco in a city], WOULD YOU NOT INFORM THE OFFICE IF YOU CHANGED THE RESIDENCE/ACCO?
Pl note that the Office needs to be given the NEW ADDRESS as per the rules--doesn't matter if it's the in-laws address or friend's address or something else AND also doesn't matter WHY YOU HAD TO CHANGE the address. Like Raj Kumar mentioned, just give them the new address UNDER YOUR NAME--WHATEVER THE NAME IS AS PER THE COMPANY RECORDS.

From India, Hyderabad

Dear Aparajita

As said by Mr. Rajkumar and Mr. Sateesh, it is the employee's moral responsibility to submit the details for change of address, spouse details and other relevant information to the HR Department for their records.

This is not being done by the employees because of their ignorance and not aware of the system and the purpose of giving the details.

In defence services, all the soldiers are to give the details of Wife name (Maiden & After Marriage), Wife's father name, Age/Date of Birth, Address of Wife, accordingly in office the records will be changed for Nomination, Legal Heir, Family Pension details etc immediately after marriage. If you wish, you can introduce the same to your office also, in which you can add the Nomination Form, Legal heir certificate (self attested by the Staff himself), even a Will also can be taken and filed alongwith his personal documents (duly sealed in a cover).

If you start in your office then inform to other offices also, where your words will be taken into consideration and let them also follow the procedure, which will be helpful to others too. You may start for your office and in due course it will be spread to all the offices.

From India, Kumbakonam

Dear All,
Thanks for the views.In a nutshell can see there are two distinct opinions .One view says since I have got married I should submit my in-laws' residential address.another view says there is no harm if I do not do so.
I do not have any problem in submitting my in-laws' address to the company.But in the GM-HRD's attitude and the way he asked the address from me gender biasness was very apparent,which made me more stubborn.Nowhere in the Hindu Marriage Act (which I went through at a glance after this event,I might be wrong)I could find that it is mentioned after marriage a woman's residential address becomes that of her husband's.In today's world while we are speaking about women liberation & all, how can one force an woman to change her resi add to that of her in-law's .It is upto an woman to decide which address she wants to maintain. If an woman wants to maintain her parental resi add then can anyone question and compel her?

From India, Calcutta

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views.

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2022 CiteHRŽ

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server