Cite.Co is a repository of information and resources created by industry seniors and experts sharing their real world insights. Join Network
Dear All,
I've served in central govt service for 21 years. Recently, after transfer of my husband, I took newly introduced child care leave to look after my young daughters. As per CCL rules I've exhausted all other leave due to me. At the end of sanctioned CCL, I've asked for an extension of 3 months leave which may serve as my notice period and then voluntary retirement after that. But my office has refused the extension, hence in the absence of valid leave or notice period service, the processing of VR will not be done. Can anybody advise? Its impossible for me to join back and work for 3 months leaving my daughter alone at home.

From India, Mumbai
Dear k_60

I welcome you to

With reference to your query, I presume that the Child Care Leave (which you have availed after availing maternity Leave); is of one year duration. You have again requested for extension of 3 months leave and applied for VR - is that correct ?

You do not have any leave left at your credit.

Now, there are certain issues that must be made clear :

First, Leave can not be claimed as a matter of right; and grant of leave is purely discretionary.

Having said that, I do not think majority of authorities would refuse leave under such circumstances in government service.

You must apply for "Leave without Pay", since you have exhausted all your leaves.

The second issue is - you must not CLUB your application for leave with request for VR. VR is a separate matter; and again it can not be claimed as a matter of right; it being purely discretionary.

You must study the VR policy and the provisions therein. Are you eligible for it, as per the conditions laid out therein ?

If so, you should move a separate application - more likely the specified format of application - for availing VR.

Mere formal application may not suffice. You may have to meet your reporting officer or higher authorities personally and explain and justify the circumstances, thereby convincing them of your bona-fide intentions.

I am confident that your dedicated service of 21 years, shall not be ignored and your requests shall be acceded to.

Warm regards.

From India, Delhi
Thanks a lot sir. But leave without pay is not qualified service and hence would not serve in lieu of notice period. Some people in my office seem to feel that taking long CCL is an unfair advantage, hence should not be granted. But I understand that I really can not claim it. I am just trying to find out is there any provision in the rules that allows for deducting salary from my dues in lieu of notice period?
From India, Mumbai
This discussion thread is closed. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post it on the network.
Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2020 Cite.Co™