A job analysis is the process used to collect information about the duties, responsibilities, necessary skills, outcomes, and work environment of a particular job. You need as much data as possible to put together a Job description, which is the frequent outcome of the job analysis. Additional outcomes include recruiting plans, position postings and advertisements, and performance development planning within your performance management system.
In other words Job analysis is the process whereby jobs are investigated in sufficient detail to enable (a) recruitment of people into them or (b) assessment of the performance of people who are already working in them.
The job analysis may include these activities:
• Reviewing the job responsibilities of current employees,
• Doing Internet research and viewing sample job descriptions online or offline highlighting similar jobs,
• Analyzing the work duties, tasks, and responsibilities that need to be accomplished by the employee filling the position,
• Researching and sharing with other companies that have similar jobs, and
• Articulation of the most important outcomes or contributions needed from the position.
Job analysis is a five-step technique for:
• Understanding and agreeing how to achieve peak performance in your job;
• Ensuring that you and your boss agree on the areas you should concentrate on when time gets tight; and the areas that can be de-emphasized during this time; and
• Making sure that you have the resources, training and staff needed to do a good job.
Job Analysis is just one of many practical action-oriented techniques for reducing the stress of job overload. These and other types of technique help you to resolve structural problems within jobs, work more effectively with your boss and powerful people, improve the way your teams function and become more assertive so that other people respect your right not to take on an excessive workload. These are all important techniques for bringing job stress under control, for improving the quality of your working life, and for achieving career success.
By Priti Shah
Laurent & Benon Management Consultants Ltd, a public limited company with its corporate office Gurgaon with Pan-India presence. We as an organization strive to offer the right Human Resource Solutions at the right time and enable our clients to enhance the net worth of their human resource capital.