Dreamwork
Hi, Laid off without any prior notice.
The company said due to funds/financial issues, they closed one department and laid off(terminated) 40+ employees on 22nd Nov 23. They sent us an email saying the salary would be given on a regular cycle, but then they mailed saying the salary would be delayed, and we still didn't get a salary. All employees have more than a 20k salary per month. What and when can we take any action against the company? And how much it will cost?

From India, Mumbai
Madhu.T.K

You can approach the officer concerned of the state Labour Department and make a compliant before him. He will ask the employer to come for a meeting and a settlement will be made. It will not cost you any amount. Normally, there will be two officers, one will be in charge of enforcing the labour laws across his jurisdiction and the other person will be taking care of industrial relations whose duty is to find solutions for disputes of non payment of wages, illegal termination etc. Remember that the service is absolutely free and you should not hesitate to approach the labour department if you have any grievance.
From India, Kannur
somnath.aaryan

If you're not getting paid after losing your job, there are a few steps you can take. First, check your work agreement and company rules to understand the terms for final payments. Reach out to your company's HR or payroll department to find out why you haven't been paid.

Keep a record of your communication and any documents related to your job and termination. If talking to the company doesn't work, consider getting advice from an employment lawyer. They might send a letter to your employer explaining the money you're owed and setting a deadline for payment.

Some places require mediation or arbitration before going to court, so your lawyer can guide you on that. If needed, you can file a complaint with the labor department or an employment tribunal. If all else fails, legal action may be necessary, but the cost will depend on your situation.

Remember, it's crucial to consult with a legal professional who can help based on your specific circumstances.

From India, Kolkata
alok-singh1

Hello,
Please communicate with the company HR regarding the same and if they are not responding properly then you can also register your complaint to Labour Officer/ Labour Enforcement Officer, they will be resolve your concern within 15 days.

You can register your complaint Online. You dont need to go anywhere else.

monali-z
I completely understand your situation. I, too, am facing the same issue. Being an HR professional, I haven't received my salary post-termination. I am considering approaching the labor department, but I am apprehensive because the company is not entirely closed.

Moreover, there's a concern about joining a new workplace, as negative feedback from my previous employer could affect my background verification reports. It's disheartening that some employers in India still rely heavily on ex-employers' feedback, especially when the previous companies are closing due to unsuccessful operations.

While the laws are in place, employers often neglect their obligations. If you or any one have any suggestions or insights, please feel free to share. Thanks

From India, Pune
Madhu.T.K

Not some employers but a majority of employers rely heavily on the feedback of former employers. It is due to this that many executives give up what is due from the employers. this, obviously, has resulted in employer becoming more arrogant towards employees.
From India, Kannur
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.