Anonymous
Dear CiteHR Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to seek advice and guidance regarding a challenging situation I'm currently facing at work.

I am Ankit, a senior architect working in a Top MNC in India. Recently, I was allocated to a project with working hours from 12 pm to 9 pm. However, after joining the project, I discovered that the actual working hours extend well beyond what was initially communicated.
The team regularly holds meetings until late at night and works stretching past midnight till 4 am, and works on weekends as well. This unexpected schedule conflicts with my health condition.

I have been diagnosed with a serious eye condition that can lead to permanent loss of vision if not taken care of properly. It requires me to strictly adhere to a sleep schedule and avoid extended periods of strain on my eyes.
My doctor has advised me against working late hours to prevent exacerbating my condition and to sleep early by 11 pm.
I also cannot work on weekends even for a few hours due to personal commitments and other health issues in the family.
Despite the project's ongoing demands and expectations, I have not attended any meetings or calls to date due to scheduling conflicts. This decision was not made lightly, but rather as a necessary measure to prioritize my health and adhere to my doctor's recommendations.

I communicated this to the project team, providing the doctor's certificate as evidence, and requested to be released from the project on health grounds. Unfortunately, despite my efforts, the project team has not been responsive to my concerns. Instead, they have escalated the matter to HR, who have repeatedly urged me to attend calls and meetings despite my condition. Additionally, they have also decided not to approve any leave requests from my side.

Given the severity of my condition and the inability to reconcile the project demands with my health needs, I feel compelled to emphasize that I am willing to consider termination from the company if it means prioritizing my health. It's essential for all parties involved to recognize the gravity of the situation and work towards a resolution that ensures both my well-being and the project's success.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights from the community on how to navigate this challenging situation. How should I proceed in advocating for my health needs while maintaining professionalism in the workplace? Are there any specific steps or strategies I should consider?

Thank you in advance for your support and guidance.

Warm regards,
Ankit

From India, Hyderabad
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Ankit,

Unfortunate to note about your health.

Now, coming to your query. You have approached the HR Department of your company. Since it is unresponsive, I recommend you escalate the matter and seek the interview of the MD of the company. Explain to the MD your inability to continue with the employment owing to your poor health. Ask for the discharge with immediate effect.

If MD also remains inclement, then we will see what to do further. As far as possible our attempt should be to have a normal separation. Termination of employment will nullify your time spent in the company which may not be conducive for your future career.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.