Ruchis
Hi,
Although the HR practices are almost same in all industry whether its service industry or manufacturing. but all companies prefers to hire the candidate from the same background, like stated earlier at senior position they don't want to spend the training cost.
Yet at the same time few companies give preference to work exp. and performance rather then previous companies back ground. Hence i feel that past experience cant be ignored even if industry has changed.
Ruchi

From India, Mumbai
ilyas.hrd

Dear All
I think Industry matters for more than 2 years experince professional becz every industry has some common and specific practices.onec HR got more and more experinced he got commend and edge on that particuler industry
Thanks
Elyas

From India, Gurgaon
rohan.nabar

Hi Saloni!
Consider any vertical within HR: - Recruitment, Learning & Development, Competency etc. for each of these some understanding of the industry and its processes is required.
An example could be...I am with the HR Dept of an IT Consulting Firm...I would need to know the current technologies, what are the firms competing with my organization. Also I would need to know typically how are BU categorized in the Industry.
I would hence strongly believe that prior experience in that industry would definitely prove to make the move smoother for you as well as the Organization.
Having said that I would also want you to note that there are individuals who consciously want to move industries....that would be out of choice and hence the consequences of a probable slow transition may have to be accepted.
You may write to me in case of any further queries.
Regards
Rohan

From India, Bangalore
rohan.nabar

Hi Saloni!
Consider any vertical within HR: - Recruitment, Learning & Development, Competency etc. for each of these some understanding of the industry and its processes is required.
An example could be...I am with the HR Dept of an IT Consulting Firm...I would need to know the current technologies, what are the firms competing with my organization. Also I would need to know typically how are BU categorized in the Industry.
I would hence strongly believe that prior experience in that industry would definitely prove to make the move smoother for you as well as the Organization.
Having said that I would also want you to note that there are individuals who consciously want to move industries....that would be out of choice and hence the consequences of a probable slow transition may have to be accepted.
You may write to me in case of any further queries.
Regards
Rohaqn

From India, Bangalore
jammyhr
Being a HR Professional cuts across all the industries....Its ur experience which counts and the knowledge u possess...n definately not the industry....so keep ur zeal n entusiasm on...n giv it ur best...!!
From India
sakshi tandon

HI,
Even i think the same as Mr Malik, being a Person from the same industry you may find the jobs easy to understand and learning curve may get shorten but to work with a different industry will give you an advantage of learing the implementation of "the same procedures differently ".
Chances of you being considered as a fresher are very less as you really have acumen on
Hr Practises and their implementations.
thanks
Sakshi Tandon

From India
Aravindsurendran

Hi,
Most important part of the HR career is the transferable skills.Which can be obtained from any industry.The industry specific knowlegde can be obtained in no time.Its very difficult to reach the senior levels in HR without exposure to different industries since a successful HR has to understand the external envirionment also not only the internal envirionment.
Regards,
S.Aravind.

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.