No Tags Found!

rasinha 19

Hi ALL, Can anybody throw some light on the manufacturing industry,
what is the life of HR in the manufacturing industry,
what HR should keep in mind while entering into the manufacturing industry,
What are the tools of competency mapping and its measure?
Plz help!!!
Genuine request

From India, Hyderabad
darshak mehta

Dear
You must keep one thing in mind when you enter in any manu. sector you must have labour law knowledge as well as ready to work in Hard core HR reather than soft core ok if you want to know some thing more abt this you may send me mail on my personal mail id i.e.
Darshak Mehta

From India, Mumbai
Hiten Parekh

Hi Deeshe and Darshak,

HR in manufacturing industry is most difficult amonst all as you have to deal with different types of personalities at different levels.

As Darshak rightly mentioned good command over labour laws is essential for manufacturing sector.

Further, in manufacturing sector may it be a typical assembly line or continuous process plant, you can observe various facets of 'Group Dynamics'. Possibility of unions and collective bargaining is very high.

Culture of manufacturing sector is different than other sectors. Many a time there are repetative operations for days, weeks, months or even years. There is possibility of individual expertise and boredom at the sametime due to this.

Productivity is measured from top to bottom here. First the unit, then department, then section and then may be team or individual. To improve productivity there has to be a very systematic approach (top to bottom). Individualistic approach for motivation does not work here, you have to address teams.

You will find administrative aspects more important sometimes here in mfg like quality of tea in general shift against night shift - comparison.

One has to be very consistent in decision making and phrases such as 'as a special case' must be avoided. There are people watching things closely without saying anything. And in case of inconsistency there can be reactions.

Now coming to specific answers, life of HR in mfg sector is like thankless job.

You can keep above points in mind while entering mfg sector.

For competency mapping first you have to do great deal of observation and analysis for months if not years. For more about competency mapping you have to be more specific in asking your question.

Hope the above makes sense. Feel free to discuss or clarify anything.

- Hiten

From India, New Delhi
rasinha 19

Taking some threads from the discussions, please put some more light on labour laws , in labour laws, what all we need to know in that. Deeshe :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
From India, Hyderabad
Hiten Parekh

Hi Deeshe !

You need to know all about labour laws ! It is as simple as that ! ! !

Applicability and coverage, compliance procedures, applications forms, notices - displays, registers - records, periodic returns, payments through challans, reference authority......

It is suggested that one read bare acts for all the labour laws and get familiar with the laws. Ofcourse there are many posts available on this site giving good information about labour laws but they should not be treated as substitute of bareact reading and understanding specially for a beginner. They can be ready reckoner or periodic refresher material.

Here is a list of some acts you must cover.

The factories act, contract labour (a & r) act, pf act, esi act / workmen compensation act, bonus act, minimum wages act, payment of wages act, bonus act, gratuity act. employment exchange cnf act, apprenticeship act, boiler rules (if applicable), explisives act (if applicable), etc.

Dont feel nurvous with long list, once you start, you will feel confident as there is nothing complicated. You just have to be puntual in filing returns and have good rapport with the officials concerned.

Hope you will benefit from above.

- Hiten

From India, New Delhi
Pooja verma

hi
Deshee
Dont worry I am also working in a manufacturing company as a HR executive this is my first job then i dont think that it is very difficult to enter in a manufacturing co. According to me you will get the more opportuinity to do and learn.
And about labour laws always remember "Practice makes men perfect"
and always be optimistic.
ok I am forwarding you some guideline related with Law .
Regards
Pooja Verma :wink:

From India, Pune
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: doc labour_laws_136.doc (269.0 KB, 733 views)

tsivasankaran

Hi

HR in Manufacturing is not restricted to labour Laws

However now that the discussion is focusing on Labour Laws I though of sharing some thing about labour laws

labour in any industry must be understood in three broad categories

1. Working condition related

2. relationship/Employment related

3. social security related

Now little more details

1. Working condition related

A. Factories Act

B National and Festival holidays Act

2. relationship and employment Related

A. Industrial Disputes Act

B Standing orders Act

C. Payment of Wages Act

D Subsistence allowance act

E payment of Bonus Act

F Contract Labour Act

3. Social Security Related

A. PF Act

B ESI Act

C Maternity Benefit Act

D Workmens Compensation Act

E Payment of gratuity Act

F Minimum Wages Act

The list is not complete We may have add a few more However I would advise HR freshers to learn these Legislations under these heads

When you learn under these heads, your decisions will also be correct

\

For example, if you understand PF under Social Security, you will appreciate your role to implement the same in total.

Then u also must understand to remeber the following to understand

1. definitions of Worker/workmen/employee in all these

2. Coverage salary limit or job description

3.When the coverage starts

4 eligibility criteria

Siva

From India, Chennai
vigil

hai pooja
me too working in a small manu: firm as an HR exe, could u plz tel me how to measure the competency, is there any point sytem adopted in your company.
plz help me out , mail me .
regards
vigil

From India, Kochi
Pooja verma

Hi plz find the enclosed xls file is Competency mapping. Regards Pooja Verma
From India, Pune
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: xls competency_mapping_1__204.xls (179.5 KB, 1036 views)

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.