Dinesh Divekar

Dear Simmy,
In your reply, I beg to differ with the following:
D. Implementing employee code before dialing any numbers- This will ensure you to take a blueprint of the calls made by the employees.
Is it that difficult to dial someone else's employee code and then dial the number? The best thing that smart people would do is to dial a employee code of an employee who is not on duty. So that employee cannot be held guilty. But then defaulter will not get traced as well.
Ok...
Dinesh V Divekar

From India, Bangalore
smitavaity

Dinesh has given the right way of handling the things...the circular put on the notice board will keep employees alert and it will lessen automatically

pmuku

Dear Neetha,
I agree with lot of good points provided by our forum members.
Do not analyse whether will work or not. Follow cause and effect principle.
Start with one, and study the effects. Go for course correction.
Everything works well if they feel themselves responsible & important.
Majority of the new joiners may not be aware of the policies; they blindly follow the seniors in the system.
Along with the circular, please do circulate/attach points on Do's and Don'ts like Telephone etiquette. Thus you are providing them a chance to learn & follow in the workplace.
You can find lot of connected resources at our forum itself. For this issue, can try the following:
Thread: Telephone Etiquette and Manners (Including Cell Phone Etiquette)
at:
Management Universe
and
Telephone Etiquette (Telephone Etiquette)
more at #ixzz16MP6ueTm
All the Best!

From India, Madras
chris.higgins

I don't know what your company does, but im sure it is not in the telephone monitoring business. Why would you want to tie up your staff and managers in trying to monitor telephone calls??

The focus should be on getting the important work done.

If a staff member has a piece of work to do, and they take 8 hours to do it, or take 7 hours and then spend 1 hour taking personal calls, what difference does it make to the company?

If your company is not managing and motivating the employees correctly, then trying to control their use of phones will just make employees angry and more unmotivated. Focus on performance management and setting targets for the staff, and the number of personal calls will reduce automatically.

If the issue is cost, then create an incentive system to reduce costs. For example, if you estimate that Rs.50,000 extra is being spent on personal calls, then offer a Rs.25,000 bonus to be shared among the staff if they can save that Rs.50,000. Otherise, tell staff to keep all personal calls on their mobiles, so that the cost is not on the company.

Sending such general letters like "it has been noticed" to the whole office is a BAD idea. It is insulting to the staff that are not making personal calls. The people that are not working and are making calls will not pay attention to it, because they will think it is about other people and not them, since no one mentioned them by name.

From India, Mumbai
hemalatha.g
Hi,
In my office also same probelm has arised. but that particular employee was reffered by superiors. That time they are not caring about my words and My superiors are not beliving my words. But i know what he is doing in office.

From India, Hyderabad
guesthospital
Dear Friends,
Blocking the outgoing facility to individual extensions and making centralized outgoing facility through Main Telephone operator to control personal calls through land lines. Also install mobile jammers to control the incoming calls in the office premises.
Krishnamurthe

From India, Madras
shyamagovindan@gmail.com

To add, being HR means that we also have to understand what it means to the staff to be able to make or receive these calls. My suggestion is that instead of simply employing penalty measures like a warning letter or other such things, also make suggestions of when they can handle personal calls. make it a clear statement that they cannot handle personal calls except at lunch time or whenever they have a break. also guidelines can be set about ring tones so that others in the office are not disturbed.
From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.