No Tags Found!

tajsateesh

The example I gave Asha wasn't about the owners of the company-both ARE still employees and I have known them to work with same companies since over 20 yrs [I think 3 so far-with the present in the company that's been in the news for all the wrong reasons]..So like I said-there are exceptions to every rule.
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
K.Ravi

Yes Asha,

you are correct, we can compare the two departments on different styles of working, on one side there is department A where the employees are totally professional and the relation towards their colleagues is very formal while on the other side the relations between colleagues in Department B is very casual.

Also we need to consider the environments , Department A is multi site whereas Department B is very small and newly established, so the employees working in Department B are less Autocratic ( i dont know if I am using right word or not). whereas the example of the professor telling his secretary to type a memo is not of using her, but it indicates the level of professionalism in communication, I mean the employees inspite of working within a very close / near physical distance are totally aloof from each other,, the professor cant even trust that a verbal communication will do, and goes on to dictate a memo to his secretary and the employees dont believe in breaking the chain,, the professor wants everything to go by rule, even if sometimes it may mean that it is too government organinsation type,, too lenghty process..

Other main point is the treating of non academic staff by academic staff,, in Department A , they treated non academic staff as slaves, too low, whereas in Department B ,, it was mentioned that they were more of a family, i.e close knit.

Sexual harassment occured in both Departments but it was all hushed up in Department B and not given much importance,, as the whole atmosphere was sexualised..

Also the employees in Department A were not concerned i mean were introverts ,, concerned with their own work whereas those working in department B were friendly with other employees even if their work did not involve interaction with the other employee.

And much more to write, but it will be better if it could be structured properly and as case study is too long,, dont know how to put it..

From India, Pune
Ash Mathew

Good observation... you are right Ravi. Dept A leads to an autocratic leadership.

And another point to note as u mentioned is - irrespective of whether the dept is aware of the intimate relationship, or whether there are strict rules restricting the involvement of any relationship - sexual harrasment and other such related romatic intimacy does exist everywhere. Correct?

So the romantic intimacy / or covering the reality part of it - has nothing to do with productivity...

Dept A professor is very particular abt verbal communication's accuracy. . . . but how sure is he that the written memo conveys the actual message?

How sure can one be that the other person has "effectively" understood the message, and thus reduce possibility of communication error?

Dept B - I agree its a small environment and the chances of interacting with one another is very high - but the advantage is, there is a transparency in communication...but lack in work culture.

As you said, The case study can be made really short...by explaining just the work culture of Dept A and Dept B and the good and bad effects of the same.. This may help in having additional input from our readers.

From India, Madras
K.Ravi

yes true but here the professor of department A is not concerned about effectiveness of communication, if you except HR people no one bothers about communication and his effectiveness , all think that my work is done, the other person understood it or not is not my part, so the professor is of view I have a very strong proof that the information was communicated to the other person, as its written and is on paper, so the professor inspite of knowing that verbal communication can be used deliberately uses written communication to save himself,,
well thanks now will forward this all to my friend, and let him do the rest,,

From India, Pune
rashidmusa

I think all respondents who has analyse this case study are romantic people. I appreciate their capability.. Rashid
From Saudi Arabia
Ash Mathew

Thanks Rashid. Its a well known fact by ourselves whether we are romantioc or not.. I dont understand whats there to appreciate in it.. u mean to say ppl who are not romantic are jealous here...????
ooops sometimes my thoughts are so loud!
No offense!

From India, Madras
Ash Mathew

Rashid:
It shows ignorance on ones part to comment witout reading.. I suggest u read the case study... and then dont feel humiliated by urself for posting such a response..
But I feel elevated - someone is jealous! :lol:

From India, Madras
nashbramhall

Hi Ravi,
I do not know how to send an attachment to a private message. I have attached an incomplete framework to use while preparing for a case study examination. As we do not know the exact questions that would appear on the paper, it is advisable to extract as much info as possible and in ones own word too. Also, one should take some notes about related theories. I have given links to couple of articles on websites.
I hope your friend finds these useful for preparing.

From United Kingdom
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: xls Ravi_case study_2009.xls (15.0 KB, 37 views)

nashbramhall

You are welcome Asha. I do visit Coimbatore and conduct seminars on "" How to Publish in Scholarly journals" and on Research Methodology. I have visited GRDIM, SVPITM and PSGIM in 2007. Missed out in 2008.
May be I will visit later this year.
Narasimhan

From United Kingdom
Ash Mathew

Sir, thats Great news. Could you please post me a message the next time you visit Coimbatore? I’d be glad to attend the seminar. I am sure many of us would benefit. Thank you!
From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.