Anonymous
Hello dear HR friends - I am working on updating our employee handbook and want to be sure I have included all the latest amendments however, each version I am seeing is many years old and perhaps I am not looking in the right place?

Could anyone share an updated (2023) version of the Maternity Leave Policy recommended for employee handbook? Thank you in advance, I am very grateful.

From United States, Princeton
aussiejohn

I have no knowledge of US law in regard to Maternity Leave, but apart from any basic legal requirements, every organisation will set it's own policy as to how it will operate within the company.

You obviously have a policy right now - which you view as outdated. Why? If it meets legal requirements as set out by both the state of New Jersey and the US Government, then what is the problem you are trying to solve?

Talk to your senior management to verify the current policy is still relevant and move on. Take their guidance if they want changes.

We do not work for your organisation, so we are not in a position to tell you what your company should be doing.

From Australia, Melbourne
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi

Please refer the following

Some important changes under the new law:

1. The paid maternity leave in India is increased from 12 weeks to 26 weeks for working women.

2. This law is eligible for only those who work in an organization with a minimum of 10 employees.

3. The prenatal leave is also increased from 6 to 8 weeks.

4. A woman who is already a mother of 2 children is eligible for 12 weeks of maternity leave from the 3rd child.

5. If a woman adopts a child under the age of 3 months, then she is eligible for a leave of 12 weeks.

A commissioning mother is also eligible for a leave period of 12-weeks starting from the day when the child is handed over. Now you must be wondering what is this “Commissioning Mother” term? A commissioning mother is a “biological” mother who uses her egg to make an embryo which is implanted in another woman, and the mother who gives birth to this child is known as the surrogate mother.

Website-Header-min
Menu
Maternity-Leave-in-india
Nov

Maternity Leave in India: Importance & Benefits
By Waqar Azmi In Blog, Employee PolicyComments
Maternity Leave in India: The Law and Benefits

The Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Act 2017, which was passed by the Rajya Sabha in the year August 2016, has now also been approved by the Lok Sabha in the same year, March 2017.

Some important changes under the new law:

1. The paid maternity leave in India is increased from 12 weeks to 26 weeks for working women.

2. This law is eligible for only those who work in an organization with a minimum of 10 employees.

3. The prenatal leave is also increased from 6 to 8 weeks.

4. A woman who is already a mother of 2 children is eligible for 12 weeks of maternity leave from the 3rd child.

5. If a woman adopts a child under the age of 3 months, then she is eligible for a leave of 12 weeks.

A commissioning mother is also eligible for a leave period of 12-weeks starting from the day when the child is handed over. Now you must be wondering what is this “Commissioning Mother” term? A commissioning mother is a “biological” mother who uses her egg to make an embryo which is implanted in another woman, and the mother who gives birth to this child is known as the surrogate mother.

Maternity Leave in India is reformed considering the current scenario where women are a dominantly integral part of every working setup. Pregnancy is a phase in life; many families expect it to happen to them soon. Many families plan on pregnancy and childbirth. However, joyous and exciting the pregnancy is, for working women, the concerns prevail.

India has already transitioned to a nuclear family approach; it is challenging to have help from home. Moreover, couples have shifted from their hometowns for corporate jobs across different locations. The concern with starting a family and transitioning the pregnancy process is a phase that brings many questions. However, working couples, as well as expectant mothers, should know the Maternity Leave.

Download Updated Maternity Leave Policy

The Ultimate Guide to Accelerate Your HR Productivity

GET DOCUMENTS NOW
Some of the Common Concerns of Expecting Mothers Are:
1. Will I lose my job because of the pregnancy?

2. Will I be able to work for the whole tenure of my pregnancy?

3. In case my pregnancy is complicated, and I am unable to work, how will I manage my expenses during pregnancy?

4. Will I be able to live up to my professional standards being pregnant and bearing a child?

5. What are the benefits I enjoy from the government and my employer as a pregnant employee?

6. Are maternity leave paid in India?

7. What is the maternity leave for adopting a child?

8. As a pregnant mother, do I have the provision of working from home?

9. How will I manage the day-care facilities for my new-born?

A lot of apprehensions and dilemmas have led to many women employees losing out on their rightful share. Some women employees even quit jobs as critical health does not allow them to continue working during the pregnancy period.

The government supports the Maternity Leave strongly. A woman can now avail of all the significant benefits and have a well-informed decision on her pregnancy and maternity leave. This mandate is set to benefit pregnant women for securing their jobs as well as having a peaceful time with family in the happiest phase of their life.

Also Read: 15 Simple Methods to Increase Employee Engagement
SHTK banner

What is the Maternity Leave?

Maternity leave in India” is a paid leave of absence from work that allows women employees the benefit of taking care of their newly born, retaining their jobs, and also avail paid leaves.

India is a developing country, and our first Maternity leave Act was established back in 1961 called, The Maternity leave Benefit Act 1961. This Act ensured women employees get a paid leave of 12 weeks post-delivery for taking care of the new-born. This Act applied to establishments with ten plus employees. The Act applies to every women employee on a contract, permanent basis, or engaged with agencies.

The current employment scenario has changed, and we have a significant chunk of female employees taking jobs. The maternity act was subject to change due to social & economic changes. In 2017, The Maternity leave Act was revised as The Maternity leave (Amendment) Bill 2017.

The Maternity (Amendment) Bill 2017 brought a lot of necessary amendments in the Act. Let us understand:

The Maternity leave Act Applies to:
Establishments like factories, corporates, mines, plantations, shops & establishment act, and government establishments.

Eligibility

For a woman employee to be eligible under this Act, she should have completed working for 80 days in the current establishment in the last 12 months.

Payment

Paid leave is calculated based on the average daily wage for the period of absence.

Extension of period

The Maternity (Amendment) Bill 2017 has extended the earlier 12 weeks’ leave to 26 weeks. The pregnant employee can bifurcate the leave as post and pre-delivery. 8 weeks of leave can opt before the delivery and remaining post-childbirth. For women expecting the third child, the maternity leave allotted is 12 weeks.

Maternity leave Law for adoptive mothers

The law states a 12 weeks leave for the adopting mother. This leave starts from the day of adoption and is applicable for the baby below three months of age.

Maternity law for commissioning mothers in India

The advent of technology has brought relief and joy to many families who were unable to conceive naturally. The maternity leave law here states a 12 week leave to the biological mother who imparts her egg to create an embryo which is then planted in another woman.

Tubectomy during pregnancy

In the case of tubectomy, a woman on the production of the prescribed papers can opt for two weeks’ leave, immediately from the date of the tubectomy operation.

Critical illness post-maternity

Pregnancy is a complicated process and could be life-threatening too. The Maternity leave Amendment Bill 2017 allows a benefit of one month for women who are suffering from critical circumstances like – Pre-mature delivery, miscarriage & medical termination of pregnancy.

Leave for government civil employees
Female civil employees benefit from a paid leave of 180 days for the first two live-born children.

Leave for Private sector employees

Private sector female employees have to ensure maternity leave policies with their HR team. The leave and payment provisions vary for different companies.

Also Read: Top Startups in India 2020
Also Read: Sexual Harassment Policy

The Maternity Leave in India Act 2017 Compensation rules & benefits:

1. The maternity leave payment is at the rate of the average daily wage for the period of absence.

2. A medical bonus of Rs. 3500 is entitled in addition to the 26 weeks of paid leave & 12 weeks of paid leave for already a mother of two.

3. Pregnant Women and lactating mothers further draw a benefit of Rs. 6000/- under the National Food Security Act 2013.

Norms Under The Maternity Leave:

1. The act states, the employer should not give a pregnant employee difficult tasks, including long-standing working hours, ten weeks before the delivery, such that it might affect both Mother and child.

2. The employer should ensure the health and safety of the female employer and mandate that she should not be involved in any work six weeks following the delivery as well as miscarriage.

3. The law also states that the employer cannot dismiss or discharge a female employer during the maternity leave period.

4. In an establishment of 50-plus employees, a Crèche facility is to be provided by the employer. When the female employee comes back to work after maternity leave, she can avail of the crèche facilities. The Act also permits the female employee to visit the crèche four times during the regular working hours, including her regular rest intervals.

5. If an employer does not adhere to the Maternity Act, there are severe repercussions. The penalty to an employer for non-acceptance of the Act is a fine of Rs. 5000/- or imprisonment which can extend to a year or both.

From India, Madras
aussiejohn

Lakshmi, OP says he is from Princeton USA. May or may not be correct as post is anonymous. He does not mention Indian law.
From Australia, Melbourne
vmlakshminarayanan

Hello John

Majority of the registered Members of this forum are from India only. At the time of registration they are choosing wrong location knowingly / unknowingly and hence wrong display of location.

I answered with a hope that 'ANNONYMOUS' is from India. Let him respond back. Thanks for your observation.

From India, Madras
StephK
@Vmlakshminarayanan thank you so much! This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. I appreciate you very much!

To the others, my apology for the confusion- while I am located in the US and very familiar with the laws here, I am not as familiar with India laws and wanted to be sure I captured all the latest updates for our India handbook.

Thank you so very very much for your time and very helpful information. This has been the most useful site with so much great information- what a gift! Thank you!

From United States, Princeton
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.