No Tags Found!

tmnagesh
Hi... Can we deduct the uniform costs from employee wages?
From India, Indore
rkn61

Broadly speaking, uniform is to be given to employees by Employer for maintaining
a Dress code and cost of material, stitching charges etc need to be borne by Employer.

IN addition to this, it also becomes the responsibility of Employer to grant some amount
as washing allowance.

From India, Aizawl
ommygautam

This is a good question. I would like to add few points in this matter as the matter is not that big but execution is more important for this topic. Because in many industries this issue is being raised by trade union for dress.
When we want to give dress/uniform to our employee we should think -
01. Employees are familiar with company rules and regulations along with company terms?
02. Employees thinking that it is their right to receive the dress?

In all aspects I think we have to fix some contribution from employees either 50:50 or 70:30 or something. Its advantage will be that whoever spends out of his pocket, he will handle the uniform carefully because of his own cost has been involve in this. also they keep one thinh in mind that whenever we have to ask with the management for dress then again we have to bear the same cost. yes you can do one thing you can refund their cost in same year between the gap of 06 month .
but keep note one thing in your mind that whenever you are giving any facility to your respective employee its should be delieverd in such a way so that he may think its only by the company policy or due to company management not due to their right. when any facility is treated due to right then its begaining of the Industrial dispute.

From India, Rudarpur
nanu1953

Why dress/Uniform is required for industries? Is it for discipline like school dress or for any other reason. In most of the industries it is for nature of activities which make dirty of the normal dress if employees work with their own dress. Industries where is Union they usually talk to management about color , quality of the material , design etc.

In case of electronics industry, the employees have been provided uniform like doctor's coat. In my last organization ( Vesuvius India Ltd., MNC - Refractory Industry ) there are dress code linked to nature of job for every one including MD. Management staff are wearing doctor's coat and color of the coat is varying with nature of job - Production gray, maintenance - red, Administration - white etc.

But in all above cases the cost of the dress including washing charge/arrangement for washing is taken care by management as it is management's need. If in any organization union(s) are claiming for dress, to my opinion there must be some reasons. In case of establishment / offices union(s) are not claiming for dress in normal cases but the organization is providing dress to office boy, security etc. as a part of discipline.

I totally agree with Mr, Nair.

S K Bandyopadhyay ( WB, Howrah)

From India, New Delhi
Vaishalee Parkhi

In my opinion, it will not be fair to deduct Uniform cost from Employees' salary.

Any Company gives Uniform to their employees for reasons like -

1. It brings a feeling of discipline among the staff that reflects in work too
2. It shows uniformity and unity at all the levels in staff
3. Not to have any scope to confusion in the dress code (formal, informal or casual)
4. It becomes easy to identify the company's representatives / employees anywhere you go
5. It impresses the Visitors, Clients, Guests that company follows a certain standard/ protocol

No employee demands for the uniform, it's always Company's decision to have uniforms for the number of advantages given above.

Thus, if a Company thinks that these are EXPENSES, they charge to employees. Whereas few companies treat this as an INVESTMENT to portray and enhance image of the Company in the minds of employees and stakeholders.

Decision is yours.

From India, Pune
saswatabanerjee

Deducting the cost of uniform is illegal under Payment of Wages Act.
Please see Sec 6 for the list of allowed deduction from wages and salary.
Therefore, I suggest you do not do it.

Similarly, asking the employee to buy the uniform is also illegal because any payment made to the employer or his agent is deduction under the act.

Under various other acts like PSARA also, it is a requirement that the employer will provide the uniform free of cost.

From India, Mumbai
Harsh Shukla

In addition to the valuable observations of members, I would only add that:
Uniforms are a cost to the business, therefore,they are an asset - albeit a depreciating one. This cost is a tax deductible item.
So, whilst you cannot deduct the cost from employees when the uniform is issued, you can deduct an amount (full or partial) when the employee leaves unless the uniform is returned in full.
This is so that the employee cannot use your uniform in another company (or even private use). I am thinking particularly of blue collar workers and where the "uniform" is actually personal protective equipment, such as hard hats, safety glasses, hi-viz vests, etc. etc.

Therefore, such a policy should be in place or incorporated into the contract of employment.

I hope the above helps.

Regards
Harsh

From United Kingdom, Barrow
Parul Sain
Yes you may, if you its in your company policy as well as its defined in uniform policy. Regards, Parul Sain
From India, Delhi
Ulhas_Divekar

First need to understand the importance of Dress code / why dress code is necessary
1. Dress code is not the will or policy matter it is the requirement of that particular job
2. Dress code identify the employee where he works
3. Dress code creates the feeling of equality and unity
4. Dress code are made based on job performance considering the safety and comfort of the employee
5. Dress code also plays the role of indirect contributor in achieving the targets in time
Costing of the uniform is well budgeted in consumable items. We can decide how many dresses are required to perform the job and their durability and based on that same quantity to be issued to the employee. if any one requires more it is the matter of discipline / incident.
No question to take employee contribution in the uniform costing. Not fare at all.

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.