No Tags Found!

das_jitu

Dear Seniors,

This is regarding my disagreement with the management.

I am working in a manufacturing company as Manager-HR. In the year 2017 I introduced a leave policy where employee are entitled to get 6 Casual Leave(CL), 6 Sick leave (SL) and 18 Earn Leave(EL). I have prepared this policy which is normally practice in industry. But after 6 month of implementation of this policy management wants to amend the policy as per the following.

1. EL can only be approved by MD/Director.

My Opinion: Reporting authority should approve. Because they can feel the employee need better.We should not bypass the system . Further I don't want MD/Director to give their valuable time on this.(For 150 employee).

2. If CL is not available then employee can not take EL for 1 or 2 days.

My Opinion: If an employee availed all CL from his entitlement quota then his leave can be approved as EL. If it treated as LOP then it may leads to employee dissatisfaction.

3.Management discourage to avail EL. They want employee to encash their leave at the time of separation.

My Opinion: Neither it should be discouraged or encouraged. If employee can not avail EL from his quota then what is the point in keeping 18 nos EL per year and it increases company's liability too.Because encash leave will be calculated on gross salary.

For example for my sister marriage I can not take EL from my quota, it will be treated as LOP and will be en cashed at the time of separation.It can only be approved at the discretion of MD/Director not by policy.For every such type of leave HR/Site In-charge/RCM will follow up management to get it approved on behalf of employee.

4. HR will send the Leave approval copy finance department for verification.

My opinion: It increases administrative work and why Hr department will send HR data to other department.Because payroll includes all data like pay days, leave balance etc.

5. EL has to be sanctioned at least 7 days before availing the same

My opinion: Prior approval is required but 7 days is high time for 2-3 days leave. In case of leave more than 7 days then it should be OK.

Further I want to inform you that I am not feeling comfortable with this policy and I may be wrong also.Therefore I need your valuable suggestion in this regard. I have taken one day time from management to share my feedback.

I shall be happy to share additional information if required.

Thanking You.

From India, Bhubaneswar
Dinesh Divekar

Dea Jitendra,

Following are my observations on your post:

a) Overall your concerns are genuine. Any other HR in your place would concur with your views.

b) By granting 30 days leave per annum, your company is liberal as far as employee leave is concerned. But spirit of this liberalism is killed by imposing too many restrictions.

c) Overall your management views employee leave as a nuisance or necessary evil. In general their tendency is to move toward centralisation from decentralisation.

d) The reason for (c) above could lying somewhere. In general management practice also there could too much of centralisation. Now the employee leave is also brought in the ambit of centralisation.

General comments: - You may tell your management to conduct the survey of what is the general business environment. Business cannot grow unless there employee motivation is maintained. If they were that strict then they should not have allowed you to go ahead with your leave policy. Changing the leave policy just after six months shows blowing hot and cold. As far as law is concerned, it says that for every 20 days of attendance, employee becomes eligible for 1 day leave. With this formula, employee becomes eligible for 15 days leave per annum. Your management fulfil this legal requirement only and nothing else. However, while doing so they can give freedom to the HODs and the employees.

Lastly, tell your management that few IT companies have moved to something different. There is no categorisation of leave at all and there is no restriction on number of days of leave also. All that is required is to meet the deliverables. But the performance targets are so high that employees work hard to meet them. Therefore, your management needs to shift focus from managing people to managing the results.

Solution: - If you say anything, they will not listen to you. Overall their haughtiness is well discernible. Against this backdrop, you may tell them to discuss this type of leave arrangement with some senior HR Consultant. They may look at the HR practices within the industry and out of industry as well. Otherwise, changing attitude of self-obsessed persons is always difficult.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
das_jitu

Dear Mr. Dinesh Devekar,
I was really expecting your suggestion and as always you have given excellent feedback and shown the realty of industry of our type.
But as a HR I don't want to adopt any policy halfheartedly.I will definitely try to convince them as suggested by you. I am sure this policy may call enough employee issue in coming days. Then again it will be my responsibility to handle their dissatisfaction in the line of the management where HR himself is not convince.
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback/ comments/ solutions.

From India, Bhubaneswar
shallohal

Hi Jitendra,

Really nice view and opinions you have there. A policy has to be fully supported by the management. I have almost the same case but not to a point wherein our management has to intervene or supervice out of the chain of command. Just some questions: What is the reason why MD decided to be the one to approve EL? Where there specific data that tells more people are taking EL than CL? My view here is that, do a data analysis for the past 6 months to show data records of how many have applied/approved for EL and CL. Then do a comparison of these leaves to the previous 6 months prior to your leave policy approval. We can hope those data may help. Additionally, do the pros and cons on the 5 points you mentioned and present it to your superior. In a way to enlighten the MD. Your honorable MD's time is too much valuable than just sign the leave forms. ;-)

Regards,

Shallohal

Bangladesh

From Bangladesh, Dhaka
Bharat Gera

Dear Jitendra,
If you are working in the factory, please refer to the Factories Act Sections 78 to 84. The sections will give you details about earned leave.
If you are working in an establishment which is not a factory, please refer to the Shops & Establishments Act, they carry information about leaves.
Whatever you are proposing is in fact correct & practical.
Regards
Bharat Gera
HR Consultant

From India, Thane
ANIL RAINA

Dear Jitendra,
Further to expert views given above.
It is a typical case of mind set ! In this age of globalisation & internet connectivity, it is high time to realise that the whole focus should be on results rather than on physical presence in the office. As per gallop study, companies have only 30 % fully engaged employees. So, the employers must strive to create an environment where by this % of engaged employee increases. Employees must be encouraged to take leave, disconnect from work & come back refreshed to work.
However, one piece od advice. Do not encourage EL in small nos. of 1 /2 days as it leads to disruption at work.. EL should be availed in a block of at least 7 days at one time.
Anil Raina
Mob: +91 9810180148

From India, Delhi
harpreetwalia

Dear Jitendra Das,

On a practical ground, let me write it very clearly here that HR is also an employee hired by management to support the business thinking and plan. Often when HR is hired at some senior level, management shows a very enthusiastic behavior towards bringing in change and improving the system.

With the passage of time, when HR suggest a load of compliance's to be be maintained which in actual leads to good rise in cost and budget of the company, there the actual picture get's highlighted. Management these days are more bother to meet the compliance and in parallel keeping the cost low. By reading your above points, I guess your management is of traditional nature who very smartly is securing them by making /amending the policy and ensuring minimum advantage passes on to the employee.

Believe me, if you have spoken to them previously than giving a try again to traditional style people will not gain you anything more. My smart suggestion is, follow what instruction is passed to you. I know it is difficult but that is the harsh reality of corporate sector. By discussing again and again and insisting which management doesn't want to do will only leave your impression to be considered not favorable, Keeping cost low is the only moto of management these days.

From India, New Delhi
rsingh140

Dear Jitendra,
my observations on your post:
your company gentating 30 Leave Annual., but as per law of leave any employee monthly twenty days attendance for allow 1.25 day EL total El Annual total 1.25 X 12=15 days this leave is used any case aveled. All department Employee leave approve authorized on HOD , all HOD but some KEY person Leave Apprval Right in MD.

From India,
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.