No Tags Found!

singhlomesh
Sir, my organization has a clause which forces every one to speak English, no regional language is allowed. Can they firce a language?
Will my right to speak my national language get curtailed?
The said firm is a bpo.

From India, Vadodara
rupesh_hr75

Hi,
Needless to say , your BPO must have multi lingual employees. To maintain the uniformity and to prevent any accidents such steps perhaps are taken. But I think you can suggest for communication pattern for unofficial matters.
Also, try to understand the basic reason behind such clauses. Please interact with HR .
Last i would like to say ,as far as languages are concerned it cannot be made mandatory . But yes, HR need to counsel people to spread and maintain good culture.
Regards
Rupesh

From India, Pune
kingdeepak

Hi Singh,
Good that your company has taken a level up in clause to improve the communication level of employees but you cant force an employee on this clause like putting penalty or affecting his pay/salary.
So whenever you find any employees interacting in regional language in office hours you can just inform them.
Regards
Deepak

From India, Delhi
Madhu.T.K

If the terms and conditions of employment contains a clause that you should speak only English, then you will have to follow it because it is expected that you have joined the establishment after accepting this particular clause of employment also. It is not just salary, weekly off, holidays or working hours only are applicable to an employee but everything in the employment manual is applicable. The case would be different if the management insists you to speak English (or any language) after your joining and without taking all employees in to confidence.
Madhu.T.K

From India, Kannur
nashbramhall

Mr. Madhu TK has "Hit the nail on the head." Could you kindly clarify the situation. One of the reasons for such a requirement in a multilingual country is to curb our tendency to speak in our mother tounge, even in the presence of persons who are from other regions that do not understand the language. I have found this "annoying" and "disrespectful" habit when we have invited people for parties.
Is the National Language your mother tounge?

From United Kingdom
loginmiraclelogistics

Dear friend,
Use of language in work place normally not compelled while one to one conversation. But being in BPO you have no alternative to speak a language in which your customers are familiar with. The usage forms part of service conditions. In all fairness there is nothing wrong for them to enforce strictly in work place. You cannot claim it to be your birth right or state language or mother tongue. If you want the job try to be a Roman in Rome.
kumar.s.

From India, Bangalore
V. Balaji

There is nothing wrong for management to communicate its employees to follow one pattern of languge as a medium. And I welcome that. If every individual speaks in the language of his own, then there is no uniformty is maintained.

When office circulars, inter office correspondences, Office Orders are all in English, why not we insist English also as a language in a common platform. When someone is habituated to speak in Hindi, Tamil or vernacular, they will start communicating in the same way when others are sitting next to him/her without realizing that the other one does not understand his/her language. This gives room for the third person that these two want to hide some matter from him/her and the reason why they speak in vernacular, though it might not be the case.

Secondly, every language has got its own accent. You cannot imagine something in Hindi and start conveying in English. When someone practices in office speaking in Tamil, when sudden situation of switching over to English arises, he will land up in speaking "Tanglish". They blabber and not able to use correct vocabulary. This may be OK within small group. But, assume such people need to give a presentation to a elite group of people from abroad. He represents the company and not as an individual.

Moreover why someone has to think that it is a "forceful" acvitity. Practice makes a man perfect. One can look at this situation as a positive approach to "sharpen / hone" his English speaking skills. It all depends on individual's mental framework

V. Balaji

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.