No Tags Found!

I am working in BPO company as HR Executive whre in i have to maintain some data confedentical but emplopyees approach me to reveal the information but i am confused how to tackle this situation.
From India, Madras
Cite Contribution

What is the information you are trying to refine ? Please share the topic to it. Its obvious that HR cannot share every details with the employees. However, transparency will build the trust. You might need to balance the two.
Looking forward to hear from you

From India, Mumbai
s_shalu_1

Completely second Ms.(Cite Contribution)!

Without knowing the details, it would be difficult to suggest. Still, assuming that confidential information deals with records like payroll, performance & so forth I would like to present my views.

1. Be very specific with personal loyalty vs. company loyalty! do not mix these two at any point of time- business with pleasure!! today's scenario is such that owing to more numbers of hours spent at office, our friendships developed in office spreads in our personal life too. There is a very thin line between the two. Be positive and objective in your approach and I'm sure you will be able to maintain the two without letting it affect one another.

2. Do you have a confidentiality policy ? If not then prepare one at the earliest,get it approved, display it on notice boards(easily visible by all) and get employees too sign on it (make them read and thoroughly understand it). Workplace confidentiality is prime, if one has an easy access to records it doesn't give right to that person for sharing such information with others.

3. Are there nay monitiring policies?? Which lets employee know what company would monitor.

4. Any lapse of HR's part in sharing information which has been deemed as "confidential" could be adverse right from termination to legal cases. You cannot be sure how the other person will use the information shared!

5. If you are being approached to share confidential information by employees ( who shouldn't be having access to it) then you could always politely refuse saying that as per policy /job demands you cannot share this information. Safe guard confidential information.

Shall add more pointers when we hear back from you..

From India, Vadodara
nsivakumar1970

Please handle them diplomatically. You can share the details with in the limit. not all the details. Regards, Siva
From India, New Delhi
Harsh Shukla

Whilst I agree with the two contributors above, if I may move away from the direct query and pose the following for members consideration and comment:
ALL information held by the company, which relates to the individual be made available to the same individual (and no one else). This will at least allow the individual to correct any errors, as well as maintaining transparency and building trust.
Regards,
Harsh

From United Kingdom, Barrow
kannanmv

Dear Member,

On the lighter note, even your identity seems to be confidential.

However, to answer your query. In my opinion whenever someone approaches you and seeks confidential information (which is not to be shared as per company policy), you have to politely respond stating that you have been advised not to share this information to others.

If you are worried about personal relationship then the official relationship between you and your company may be disturbed.

Know where to draw a line between personal relationship and official relationship.

Once you have responded so, then you will observe that no one will ever sneak in to get information from you.

We also observe that many companies practice open office culture wherein colleagues may see the screen from behind your shoulders, in case you have such suspicion then you need to either log off or minimise the screen and turn around to greet the person behind you and say "Oh! little did I realise that you were behind me, can I be of any help to you. If you start doing this, then you will seldom find people trying to fish out information from you either directly or indirectly.

Also whenever you leave your workstation, remember to logoff from the system as in some companies the computers are shared for doing work. The person who operates your system when you are not there may try to retrieve the recent documents opened by you if you have not logged off.

Regards

M.V.Kannan

From India, Madras
sharatpareek

I think you are facing difficulty to say no to your co worker beause of following reasons_

Afraid of being rude. I was brought up under the notion that saying “No”, especially to people who are more senior, is rude. This thinking is common in Asia culture, where face-saving is important. Face-saving means not making others look bad (a.k.a losing face).

Wanting to be agreeable. You don’t want to alienate yourself from the group because you’re not in agreement. So you confirm to others’ requests.

Fear of conflict. You are afraid the person might be angry if you reject him/her. This might lead to an ugly confrontation. Even if there isn’t, there might be dissent created which might lead to negative consequences in the future.

Not burning bridges. Some people take “no” as a sign of rejection. It might lead to bridges being burned and relationships severed.

Saying “No” doesn’t mean you are being rude; neither does it mean you are being disagreeable. Saying “No” doesn’t mean there will be conflict nor that you’ll lose opportunities in the future. And saying no most definitely doesn’t mean you’re burning bridges. These are all false beliefs in our mind.

BELIEVE THAT OTHERS WILL UNDERSTAND YOUR POINT OF VIEW AND TELL THEM THAT THEY TOO WOULD NOT HAVE SHARED THE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION IF THEY WERE IN YOUR POSITION....

Regards

SHARAT

From India
subbarao.nv

Simple keep away from them and if any thing is leaked, you will be in problem. For some kind of issues, you cannot justify, it will be purely managements' decisions.
During Increments / promotions / incentives period non-HR staff will try to influence and get their information as well as other's informations. This is quite common in any company. Best thing is keep away from discussing any confidential issues.
Regads = S Rao / Hyderabad

From India, Hyderabad
rhinoramanan

dear friend
the first and foremost is "CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION ARE NOT OPEN TO ANYONE"
the second and foremost is 'CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION ARE NOT SHARED EVEN WITH ALMIGHTY GOD"
the third is "MANAGEMENT WILL NOT TRUST YOU ANY MORE ONCE YOU HAVE LEAKED/SHARED CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION"
BLESSINGS
dr ram

From India, Indore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.