No Tags Found!

meg2673
Hello, fellow HR practitioners! I was just recently transferred from Employee Relations to Training and OD. Thus, I'm still learning details about Training and OD, which I have not been previously exposed to.
I would like to ask if there is a difference between organizational development and organization development and which between the two refers to the OD usually under the HR Department as a section or area. Or does it mean the same thing and can be used interchangeably? (Personally, I don't think so...) I have tried to research about it via the internet and reading materials but I'm still unsure about it.
If anyone can take the time to expound on the difference; I would truly appreciate it.
Thank you.
meg2673

From United States, Lexington
rbiyer
As per OB literature, organizational refers to "individual" as the unit of analysis whereas organization refers to "collective or wholesome" as the unit of analysis
else, the usage is interchangeably used everywhere with no water tight compartmentalization
this is to my knowledge

From India, Madras
sambasi

The word "ORGANISATIONAL" is an Adjective for the Noun "ORGANISATION". ("Organisational" meaning "belonging to an Organisation"). Both are correct when used in the context of "OD"
From India, Madras
Ranjith kumar

Dear Friend,
Let us go in common general thought process....
1. Organizatonal Development: Internal development in the organization.
Eg: a). Human Resources (Employee) development by conducting training programs, welfare activities, motivating through different modes etc.
b). Hierarchy Development by giving gradings
c). Infrastructure development by changing the internal infrastructure like upgrading the computers, changing the old furniture etc.
Like wise we can qoute number of developments pertaining to organizational development.
2. Organization Development: Basing on the internal change and competency the organization development is looked into. It is the development of the organization in the market by comparing itself with previous years turnover etc.. expanding the organization etc.
This is to my knowledge what i understood the difference between the both 1 & 2.
Please feel free to comment on the above.

From India, Hyderabad
meg2673
Hello, good afternoon fellow HR practitioners!!! I'm really thankful for your insightful comments...
Before joining Training and OD, I really thought that organizational dev't. and organization dev't. were one and the same but the more I read about it; I felt that there was some difference but I wasn't too sure about it.
I am inclined to agree with some of the comments made on this thread though...
Again, thanks for the inputs. I really appreciate it.
meg2673 :icon12:

From United States, Lexington
poison1979

Can you give me some idea of organisational change does not lead to organisational development???
From India, Ahmadabad
ABOOD2
The difference between organisational change and organisational development. I wanted to explain this clearly so that you do understand the difference because it is important.
Organisational change is a very broad area, dealing with all types of changes in organisations, large and small changes, fast and slow changes, periodic and continuous changes, painful and painless changes, planned and unplanned changes.
Organisational development is a specific approach to change; it involves carefully planned change, it involves slow rather than fast change, it attempts to make the change as painless as possible, and it is often an ongoing or continuous effort at improving the organistion.
With best wishes

From Australia, Gosford
sriharsha

Hai Good afternoon everybody,
First i appreciate Mr. Ranjith for his good explanation.
Once we concentrated on Organisational Development(i.e, Indivedual development in the Organisation) automatically Organisation Development will occur(i.e, Expansion of the Organisation it's interms of increasing the branches or increasing the manpower etc.) so both are haveing some diffrence.
Regards,
Sriharsha .Y

From India, Visakhapatnam
Leanton67
Both are co-related. Organization development is a systematic approach which involves the development of an organization by involving each people in an organization. Organization change involves adopting changes to the technology used, changing the work culture etc. Organizational changes pulls to organizational development. Our organization used to depend on solution tools provided by The McQuaig Institute which helps in organizational development. Adopting new technologies, strategies, employee development training results in organizational change which pave path towards development.
From India, Bangalore
Abigail
I’m sorry, so what you all are saying in essence is that organisational development is different from organisation development and does organisation development also mean organisation change?
From Nigeria, Abuja
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.