M.Peer Mohamed Sardhar

Steps

Understand the Latin derivation of the abbreviation i.e. It is an abbreviation of the Latin words 'id est', which mean 'that is'. It (i.e.) is normally followed by a definition of what preceded it, for example, " the elephant is an example of a pachyderm, i.e., an animal with thick skin and nails resembling hooves," or, "Forests help provide us with books, i.e., paper is made of wood from trees."

Know the root of the term e.g. This is an abbreviation for the Latin words 'exempli gratia', which means 'for example'. This abbreviation introduces an illustration of whatever has just been said, e.g ., "One thing that will put on weight is a fatty food, e.g., fried dough."

Tips

When using these terms orally, try to say the sentence literally. Use the actual meaning instead of i.e. or e.g. If it makes sense like this, then it is probably correct, e.g., "Running will make you tired, that is , running will use up energy, which will make you tired.

It's best not to use i.e. or e.g. as actual words. When talking, just use the definitions, e.g., say 'that is' instead of i.e.

From India, Coimbatore
Hiren50

Very interesting post i.e engrossing post because it is followed by relevant examples eg "Running will make you tired, that is , running will use up energy, which will make you tired. "
Since Latin words have been explained the very meaning of the word education which comes from educere is to draw out what is already in instead of blindly stuffing in. It has a direct connection with HRD but god alone knows how much it happens in real life.

From India, New Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.