No Tags Found!

banerjee_gunjan

Dear Venkat,
Thanks alot for your suggestion , i will keep them in my mind... you tell me how can i improve in interviews...generally the questions they ask me is either about my projects i have done during my post graduation or they ask me about my current job.
as far as my projects are concerned i think i was always correct as i have done the porojects very sincerely and regarding my current job i dont have much to say about it. recently i had appeared in a interview , cleared my first round..the apptitude test and they told me that i have been selected for the second round.. but the next day they called up and said that my profile does not match...now what should i think ...i am not getting what was my mistake.
well that is all part of life.
Thanks again ,
Regards,
Gunjan

From India, Delhi
sabarivenkat

Gunjan :

What might have happened to you would be the result of having shortlisted a most suitable candidature. H/ever, their reply as your profile not matching their requirement is surely unprofessional. If not matching, why should you be called for interview in the first place and qualified you for second round. Again, a case of irrelevant communication from the company's part. (Archana... might be of interest to you).

In interviews, no one can assess a candidate to the core in half an hour or 1 hour. Like there is no perfect employer, there is no perfect employee. Generally, for a junior position, what is being looked for is // relevance of yr profile, personal presentability, communication, genuineness of your claims vis-a-vis your accomplishments or your ability to accomplish and attitude // . If you can impress the interviewer on these parameters, you bag the job. Remember, while recruiting anyone, the organisation is making an investment. Hence you need to prove your worth, for them to invest.

In Cite HR forums, a lot has been discussed on how to face/prepare for an interview. Please visit those postings. You will have better insight.

About what went wrong (to say it positively .. what could be improved) in any interview, please seek the frank feedback from the official who interviwed you and seek his guidance. Most of them will be giving their feedback and suggestions.

Dont worry. Yesterday ended last night. Today is another day. Make the best of today, Gunjan. All the best.

From India, Mumbai
manas.paull

Dear Archana,

Don't Know whether you are still in need of cases as its a long time and your's was an urgent requirement.(Again a case of lack of communication). Any way I am trying to share a real life example with you and forum Members.

Ours is an Small IT company, Few months back We recruited a person in the technical team. But after recruitment in time of background verification we find that the boy had lied about his employment and salary. We decided not to reject the candidature, instead we offer him a lower package and his joining date was also taken granted a 15 days late as a punishment to the candidate, he agrees on all the point and joined the organisation, but after completion of his first month he demanded for the earlier 15 days salary,which we were not supposed to give. As the person was working fine with the organisation we give it a second thought and I told the person the "we will discuss the case with MD and try our best to do it ". in the next month during preparation of salary I discussed the case with MD, he also agreed to pay him his 15 days salary, But as we have issued a revised offerletter effective 15 days later, we could not pay him the dues as salary so we decided to pay the dues as an expense reimbursement in the next month, The person was absent in the next day and i could not convey the massage to him as it needs a personal discussion. The same day we disbursed the salary of the employees. In the late evening I got a call From the person, he was asking why his 15 days dues was not transferred to his bank account. I tried to convince him with the reasons and ask him to discuss the things in person. But he was so angry that all my efforts was in vain, He starts talk rudely over phone and told that He does not want to continue with the organisation and wants to resign. I tried to pursue him over phone but failed. The next day was holiday, when I reached office after two days I find his resignation mail, I tried to call him back but failed.

Later when I started analysing the case I got few mistakes done in the communication Like.

1. I should not have assured him about his dues, as he took the assurance as if we have granted his request.

2. I should have inform him about management's discission over phone or any way, because when he check his account its comes to him as a shock.

3. We should not have discussed over phone on such matter as the telephonic communication is not clear and mislead him.

So one should be very care full about corporate communication as sometimes such miscommunication may leads to losing of employees.

I would appreciate some more discussion over this topic and obliged if some members let me know how i could have avoid such situation.

Thanks,

Manas. :)

From India, Ahmadabad
sabarivenkat

Manas:
Going by your case description, the candidate does not seem to have any attitude. Firstly he falsified his profile. Secondly he has not gone by his own commitment. Above all, he does not seem to be understanding the gesture of the organisation and taking you and the organisation for a ride. The worst part being arrogantly quiting the job without proper handing over, ignoring even the basic official ethics.
He is a good riddance.
There is nothing wrong from communcation point of view. You have not identified him properly. Please stop running after characaterless candidates (however genius he is...)
Dont have any guilty feeling.
Rgds. Venkat

From India, Mumbai
senthil raj

Dear Manas,
Good to share your case study with us.
At the outset, yes, there should not have been oral assurance to him. Perhaps you could have told him that , his case regarding payment of 15 days salary is under consideration and the output 'positive' or 'negative' can be informed only after the decisioin is taken by the cheif.
It was his mistake that when checked up the bank balance it was not credited. In this case i.e, for 15 days salary his plea cannot be accepted and you are NOT in the wrong side. Ofcourse if regular salary is not credited then his anger will be right.
Though the past history need not be taken for all the cases, remember he was not fair enough when he applied.
So my feeling, nothing wrong in your side, except the oral assurance to him. Rest you are right. Dont feel for it. People will come and people will go. Be positive and try to extend your helpful hand to all.
wishes always
senthil raj

From Costa Rica, San José
puja_jhunjhunwala
hi all,

i have been a member of CiteHr for some time, but taken to active reading of the posting only frm the pastr week... some of the observations are very enlightening...

the disscussion in this session has been quite helpful, as I too have been looking for a change of jopb...

i wud like to share my experince..

I am working in HR in Sikkim, and being a small place, the mentality of people is such that they are nt loking for a lot of career advancement... but like ny one else... they like being appriciated for their work....

wht has happened over the years is a serious lack of commitment being bred into the org for the followig reasons...

people for a higer cadre are hired from outside.. (as they have better qualification)... this has a 2 fold effect..

1) locals resent it.. as they see their oppurtunity for higher pay and more recogition going in vain.

2) any qualified person wants to work in a metropolitan, and fast paced compnay.. so after spending some time here.. they start looking for a change....

as the top mgmt itself is not committed (coz they knw they will be shiftng out and the current situatuin is very hopeless one.. and almost impossible to change)... the mid & bottom cadre are looking at their own well being.. and practically no one is responsible for anything anymore,.....

their are no responsibility that has been defined... and exercise underaken to formalize the Job description by me.. was resented and neglected by all, as it would mean tht they wud be held accountable....

rt from the moment the person enters the org... their is no clarity abt is roles and responsiblities... expected outcomes, ect..

in such a case every emp does wht they thing is best.. as there exist no system for recordig wht the successors (to each post), were doing/.... much time is wasted on understanding the needs of teh job, and eventually the person gives up.. and leaves, or stays and does the bare min necessary for survival....

lots of incidences i have faced in this org... which could be solved simply by having a proper channel of communication...

if anyone is interested..i can share some specific ones..

thanks & regards

Puja

From India, Guwahati
senthil raj

hello puja,
you have given very clear picture of what is happening here. The top management needs to take the lead role and they have to take care of their staff. Once you care your staff , they will care you and your organisation.
The lead role must start from the Vision .....objectives.....culture...and it goes... One must remember that all the concept/criteria are having no-end and they are continous process. It has to become integral part of the system.
As you said, you can share few things happend around you , so that it would be beneficial to all
wishes always
senthil raj

From Costa Rica, San José
archnahr

Hi Karuna, Manas,Gunjan and others
I have missed many things in last few days.
I really apologise for not able to see the valuable contributions from all of you.
Thanks a lot for your posts and I'm still looking for more cases in communication.
The project is on hold till I come back and then I'll start it.
Thanks Again
Archna

From India, Delhi
puja_jhunjhunwala
hi once again...

like i mentioned earlier.. I will share a few specific instances of miscommunication in my org.

1) Lack of communication between top management

Say A is the overall Boss, B&C make his immediate team & the others D,E,F,G.. report to B&C. Because A does not get along with C, B uses this to his favour, compimenting C when A is not around, at the same time, playing down C's virtues in front of A. Also the juniors as they are aware that C is not very well liked by A, they go to A directly.

In this case say E goes to A and gets the work done, simply by saying that C is inefficient and has put everything on hold. But reality is that C knows the ground realities as he has been here longer and has been directly working with these people.

A small case of miscommunication has blown up to full fledged case of Org. Politics.

2) No reporting system

A person reporting to 2 bosses is not strange anymore. It happens especially in matrix organization. But what happens here is that the role clarity is not there. Neither with the incumbent, nor with the two bosses. Each things the person in question is working more for the other boss (as in her duties and loyalties are more towards the other)... as a result the incumbent is confused, as well as loosing motivation to perform... note here that the two bosses are the same discussed above as A & C (who don't get along with each other)

All that is required is that all three sit together and note down a list of activities to be performed.

There are other similar examples. But a solution to all , i believe is communication of overall vision to the people by the top management, and continuosuly re-enforcing it, by taking up activities and involving the people in the same.

Please let me know if it was helpful, or in case you need any clarrification

From India, Guwahati
archnahr

Hi Puja,
Thanks for the post.
Very interesting cases on Office politics due to lack of proper Communication.
Thanks for sharing with us.
# Is this problem still going on in your organisation?
# Why is C so inactive??
# Is there no process or channel in your organisation?
# What role does HR play in solving this? If any.
If you don't mind, Can you answer all these questions.
Cheers
Archna

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.