No Tags Found!

Ed Llarena, Jr.

Hello and Hi!

In Job Evaluation (JE) lingo, the terms "executive" and "officer" are considered "Job Classes" or "Job Families". Job Class, Job Grades, and Position Titles/ Designations are distinct terms by themselves that should be used very carefully. Otherwise, it can create a lot of confusion and even mislead people and organizations.

People interested in these area should read materials on Job Evaluation to better understand the terms, their use, and their differences from each other. But let me attempt to make some clarification based on the thread of the discussion that I saw.

"Executive" positions are normally considered the highest "job class" in an organization. Several years ago, however, there were certain positions that attached the word "executive" to non-executive positions to make them "classy" and attractive to applicants. Examples of these jobs are: "Sales Executive" , "Executive Secretary", "Account Executive".

Sales Executives and Account Executives are Salesmen or Sales Representatives called differently. An Executive Secretary is a secretary, though he/ she may serve a higher ranked manager/ executive in a company.

The term "Officer" is a generic "job class" used to denote managerial and executive incumbents in an organization. As such, any manager or executive can be rightly called an "officer" of a company.

When "officer" is used as a "job class", it is normally used to denote positions that are lower than the "executive" job class. It usually denotes positions that fall in-between the "supervisory" and "managerial" job classes, and conotes some kind of a temporary designation, esp newly hired managers undergoing probationary employment status.

Job Grades are totally different and should be used carefully. Job Analysts would do well to relate Job Grades to the metthodology and system used in the Job Evaluation Method.

In our system, we use Job Grades from 1-20. These Job Grades encompass all Job Classes from the Support Job Classes (lowest) to the Executive Job Class (highest). W. Mercer's Job Grades run into the hundreds while HayGroup reference Job Grades is normally up to 21.

I hope this explanation helps in clarifying this matter.

Best wishes.

Ed Llarena, Jr.

Managing Partner

Emilla Consulting

From Philippines, Parañaque
tushaar123
Can anyone clear what is the exact work of a operation person in a fertilizer industry is and what is that designation called. what are the search words that fetch me exact profiles
From India, Hyderabad
ravi3667
what difference between officer and assistant officer which is higher assistant officer or officer what difference between junior officer and assistant officer
From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.