No Tags Found!

preet_jhang2004@yahoo.com

In very simple words- if you think you can stand in front of the mirror and question your self- Have I earned my today's salary?? and if the answer to this question is YES, then I am sure you have earned. This earning ofcourse has to be being humble, to be able to put yourself in other's shoe and evalute the situation and yes you ofcourse have to have common sense to deal with almost every situation.Summing up this will lead you to be a professional.I do agree with one of the writers who has mentioned that higher eductaional degrees and known institiues do not necessarily make you a professional- at times they do make one arrogant thoughCordially,preet
From India, Bangalore
ajaygiri
Professionalism to me means:

1. Being on/before time or being punctual as a matter of daily routine and not just for special occasions.

2. Returning a Call as committed. Always replying/acknowledging to a mail.

3. Getting back when committed that “I’ll get back”.

4. Believes in the dictum “Anything not checked is not done”. So is thorough in any work entrusted to him. That means not allowing any line to remain unchecked. Not leaning all the time on “I thought you checked?”

5. Paying respect to:
a) Other's time more than probably to your own.
b) Other's money / material more than probably to your own.
c) Other's views, without a flinch.
d) Other's road space, not nudging away cyclists, scooterists away.

6. Wearing right clothes for the right occasion. (Wearing cargos/jeans with sneakers during business casual days is not done)

7. Wearing well ironed clothes to work, polishing their shoes everyday.

8. Shaving everyday, if sporting a moustache / beard giving it a trim every 48 hrs at least.

9. Taking a haircut more often than Id.

10. If a pen is borrowed, remembering to return it.

11. Not cracking ludicrous jokes, for cheap popularity.

12. Able to discern between a humor and frivolity and therefore able to maintain gracious of work environment without burdening.

13. Feet firm on ground, not a one to be swept away by seasonal waves. Does not let personal skirmishes affect professional decisions/relations. For Eg: Lets say Anil and Mukesh fight for stocks and shares in open but back home dine on the same table. Howzatt?

14. Endeavors hard to stay updated/upgraded, does not bow down to peer pressure, takes his well informed decisions and accepts good suggestions from juniors too if it benefits all, without letting ego coming in between.

There is more.... but I guess... you must have got the idea!

Pardon me for there might be grammatical errors.

Regards
Ajay

** Professionals are prepared; Period.**

From India, Vapi
sacheein

professionalism mean its not important that whats types of work ur doing but important that how ur doing it. sacheein
From India, Mumbai
kalpana.shastri

HI all!
I was in the UK (London) the last fortnight and I see the "professional" definition is being still discussed with many interesting interpretations. I must add every person I met there from varied and different background from a bus driver to senior managers,from an ice cream vendor to boutique owner takes pride in his work and does it like there is nothing else in life for him. That i thought surely means Professionalism!
For all those who saw my post on Effective HR training program to be held in Mumbai,on the 8th and 9th of Aug. some slots are still open. Please do call me if interested.
Best cheers.
Kalpana

From India, Pune
edc236
It has a lot to do with qualifications an architect is professional but a draftsman is not similarly a doctor is a professional a nurse is not. Professionalism requires an obligation to society/community and high standards of performance. edc236
From Pakistan, Karachi
sujiths
So, what is professionalism?
A general, raw view of professionalism is, "a focused, accountable, confident, competent, motivation toward a particular goal, with respect for hierarchy and humanity, less the emotion." What this means is that you leave out the outbursts and emotional thralls that accompany stressful situations and success. You maintain focus, with a sense of urgency, and accept responsibility on a path toward a specific goal. In the process, you maintain respect for your superiors, peers, and subordinates as well as respect them as human beings.
Professionalism means to be well learned in your field, to keep abreast of advances in that field or those related to it, to perform to the utmost accuracy in that field and to promote it to others. There are many factors that, combined with study, with foresight and a little elbow-grease expand and expound on professionalism in the health care field
To achieve a particular goal required qualities:

Alertness
Competence
Confidence
Consistency
Inspiration
Respect others
Responsibility
Unemotional

Be well learned in your field,
Keep abreast of advances in that field,
Perform the utmost accuracy in that field
Promote it to others

From India, Coimbatore
sujiths
A general, raw view of professionalism is, "a focused, accountable, confident, competent, motivation toward a particular goal, with respect for hierarchy and humanity, less the emotion." What this means is that you leave out the outbursts and emotional thralls that accompany stressful situations and success. You maintain focus, with a sense of urgency, and accept responsibility on a path toward a specific goal. In the process, you maintain respect for your superiors, peers, and subordinates as well as respect them as human beings.

Professionalism means to be well learned in your field, to keep abreast of advances in that field or those related to it, to perform to the utmost accuracy in that field and to promote it to others. There are many factors that, combined with study, with foresight and a little elbow-grease expand and expound on professionalism in the health care field

To achieve a particular goal required qualities:

Alertness

Competence

Confidence

Consistency

Inspiration

Respect others

Responsibility

Unemotional

Simple Meaning:

Be well learned in your field,

Keep abreast of advances in that field,

Perform the utmost accuracy in that field

Promote it to others

Sujiths Consultancy Services

From India, Coimbatore
dkisbest
Ok i read a lot of professionalism from others point of view.still i'm not able to understand what is professionalism.c'mon not everyone is as smart as all who are sharing there thought in these section. call me dumb but what is professionalism is it in way we present ourself, talk,behave, or how well we know our work. ....or something else plz let me know
From India, Mumbai
avsjai

Dear Sujeet

WHAT IS PROFESSIONALISM?

In the modern world, there seemed to be a lack of succinct understanding of the concept of “professionalism”. There was also a misconception that anyone who is in a profession (a doctor or a lawyer) is a professional. A clarification here is –just because one is in a profession, s/he automatically does not exhibit professionalism; by the same token, someone who exhibits professionalism need not necessarily be in any particular profession.

So, what is professionalism?

In a rudimentary sense, professionalism is all about the following:

-Concepts exhibited through behavior and attitude,

-A focused approach,

-Pride in what one is doing,

-Confidence, Competence, and Accountability,

-Respect for people irrespective of rank, status and gender,

-Responsibility while on the path to achieving a particular goal,

-Commitment to word and deed,

-Control of emotions,

-Not compromising on rules and ethics while performing a task, and so on……………..

Basically, it boils down to staying focused on the issue on hand. No matter what the provocation is and no matter how stressful a situation may be leave out emotional upheavals.

We all will be exhibiting professionalism,if we:

• Understand and accept the fact that you are there to accomplish a definite task.The completion of the task itself is done with integrity,commitment,and pride.

• Base business-related interactions on facts,figures,logic,and understanding of the situation.

• Listen with empathy.It helps you understand the situation and the person on the other side of the table.

• A business interaction has a purpose,an identity and a goal. Make sure these are understood and translated into behaviour by the employees.Otherwise all policies will remain in paper.

• Understand how to treat superiors,peers and subordinates with courtesy.

Are you confused? The whole concept of professionalism can be very confusing.It is not something that can be measured or rated.However it can be seen or admired or felt by all concerned,if you practice the real professionalism.

AVS

From India, Madras
nishikant

Hello friend,
A very relevant question! It will stir many minds.
To me "being honest and true to one's profession" can be called as PROFESSIONALISM".
What it will include is:
1. A commitment to develop oneself in the profession continuously.
2. Apply the knowledge/skills gained for solving the problems and issues
and add value to internal/external customer as the case may be.
3. Follow a strict code of conduct and ethical standards [ meaning you will not use the profession to serve your narrow selfish interests but use your knowledge for the benefit of society/people
4. You will follow the basic principles of the profession and not get influenced by the emotions - that is management by facts and logic to come to conclusion of what is right way of handling a problem.
5. Contribute with a sense of responsibility towards society
6. Showing respect to all people irrespective of their gender, rank, age while discharging the responsibility as a professional.
Regards
Nishikant

From United States, Greensboro
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.