K.Ravi

Management always expects the HR to be verbal as possible and avoid written communication.
From India, Pune
Poorvi Shah
Hi capricevogue,

I agree with Suba's view. Employee reference is THE MOST IMP SOURCE in recruitment today. Hence however annoying their questions might be, try to be as neutral and friendly as possible. In fact, you have got irritated because they are asking genuine questions, which is in fact nothing wrong on their part. Whereas you should be careful even while giving a negative feedback, to ensure that they dont think you are not very interested or that you have too much of attitude.

Honestly, problem arises when you have to communicate a NO but say a YES. I would like to go one step ahead and tell you how to answer even if you realise that the CV in of no use to you.

01. A good CV but not matching presently:

"Yes I have gone through ...'s profile, seems interesting. Unfortunately none of our current positions match his/her skill sets...nevertheless it will surely be in our databank and will consider for future requirements."

This tells them indirectly that you are NOT going to call their candidate immediately and so the person can try elsewhere too and not keep too many hopes on your company...

02. A CV which is no where related to your business...believe me this happens a lot with me..

"Hi..I went through...'s profile....seems good but not matching any our positions...in fact thought of asking you if YOU have thought of where the candidate fits OUR company's requirements...Can you suggest me???"

This actually makes them think and they realise that is really of no use to even call the candidate for interview...hence one of them had once told me.."I too dont know...see of you can do something...meanwhile I have some more friends whose CVs I shall fwd to you.. :) "

03. Pushy employees...who request you time and again to consider their friends IMMEDIATELY as he is in need of a change...also because they have seen some similar positions in your careers section...

Here it becomes professional resposibility to guide them properly and politely..

" I understand that your friend is in real need of change...in fact we too are always waiting to recruit the best...but unfortunately he is too junior/senior for that opening which you saw in careers section. I would not want him to come here and get rejected for no fault of his...so believe me I will let you know the moment we get his kind of vacancy.."

I am sure most of you might be thinking why did I post such a HUGE reply on a simple topic...simple reason is I have experienced all the above incidents in last 3 years and could close amazing positions with the help of our dear employees...so thought of sharing the same with you..

Regards,

Poorvi Shah

Hyderabd

Sreelatha
Hi , U would have sent an email in an less offensive way, or else you would have asked your manager to communicate to the employees in a pleasing manner
From India, Hyderabad
Asha2005

hi,
I personaly feel that it was rude. It is obvious that people ask u about the status of their reference... and naturally.. we get annoyed too... But I feel you could have put the words in a more polite manner.. As HR we are bound to answer the queries of our employees.. but you can tell them directly .. that your are not allowed to reveal the question pattern and sorry about it...
This is what i feel
Asha

From India, Madras
ashamundkur
Hi
Just let me know what is a HR persons role? U r still not clear abt it!!! V are not just handling various processes but our key role is to handle PEOPLE / the HUMAN RESOURCE of our company.
U have to be polite, diplomatic. U shld learn when to be polite & when to be rude.
Now since u have already done a mistake.. I feel that u need to undo what went wrong...By apologizing ...BUT spk to ur boss first abt it & then just get it done.. Employees need to have complete faith in HR or else v wld just be handling a process with least feelings...which is not HR!.
Regards,
ASha Mundkur

milli
Hi Dear, From my point of views, u were absolutely right bcoz HR is also a deptt. So, well done gaurav
From India, Delhi
anie.hr

Hey capr............
As you new to HR.......i will suggest you one think dont be implusive.......think before you act coz HR can make or break the co.
Before making any statement refer to your boss and you can also take guidance from HR cITE Senior's (before taking any step)
Even I have faced this problem
All the best.........
Regards
Deepa

From India, Mumbai
waseem_cheena
Hi there,
one of my colleague witnessed the same prob, my boss told him to get the mails sanctioned and send it then to staff.
What I see here is you are taking your frustration out.
HR person need to be calm and send their message across in a polite yet authoritative manner. In this way, you would not offend your colleagues as well your boss.
See, what you need to understand is be SMART :)

From India, Gurgaon
Bibhutosh Bhadauria

Dear Capricevogue,
You did a right thing, only thing u missed that u did'nt consulted this with ur boss before sending that. Your boss must not have stopped you sending that, the boss ego is very delicate. I can understand its very annoying when people stop you and ask about the progress of an application. One more important thing is that your words should be soft in mail beceause as a HR Professional you have to deal with these employees so to mantain good relations is very necessary. When they stop you and ask they feel close to you and even free with you so your short tactful reply can win them for you forever which is very important.
What i suggest take it in positive way and feel happy as much people come to you beceause these employee will become strength for you sooneer or later. There is one kahawat in India " Jaha kaam na aye talwaar waha kaam aye sui ( needle)" I hope you got the point what i want to say.....
Bibhutosh Bhadauria

From Australia, Balwyn
raghudeepala

Never feel it bad As a HR we should give equal respect to every one continue in that manner only. Raghunath
From India, Visakhapatnam
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.