No Tags Found!

tatkare_finance2012@yahoo.in

Dear Experts,
Hello and thanks to everyone who will be reading and helping me on Important and common issue" Boss and Subordinate not getting along"
The Director of my company and I, Hr Executive, both are putting our effort to solve the cold-war between INTRA DEPARTMENT. Due to this, Company as a whole is affected Adversely.
We had the Boss and his subordinate meet Individually and Joint meet. Still nothing is working. My Director is so HURT and now FRUSTRATED that he may have to fire all, which he is avoiding for a long time.
As an HR Executive and very concerned about my Director, want to improve situation but have failed. I made them read various books on team building, I gave presentation on how to be motivated to work as a team. II want to see difference between Intra-Department getting resolved.
Now hers a big question.......... .
HOW CAN I ACCOMPLISH THIS MISSION???????
Please help.
Thanks & Regards,
Mr. Santosh.

From India, Mumbai
Ankita1001

Hi Santosh,
Have to enquired and analyzed from each one as to the matter? Ask individually why is there a conflict assuring that it would stay with you only...
Based on the data you collate from them, you can understand the real cause of conflict between the two and only than you can take further actions...
If it is difference of opinion on how things could be taken ahead or a gap between the two - education-wise, experience wise, age wise... you can discuss how can that be handled...
But in order to get a solution to this problem, we'll first have to know the cause of this problem...
Find the root cause and then we can attack it...
Hope it helped :-)

From India, Mumbai
skhadir

Dear Mr. Santosh,
I second to Ankita and there must be a concrete reason for conflict besides EGO.
- First you need to find out the ROOT CAUSE for CONFLICT and who started it.
- Also find out, is it a problem from one's perception which he is not able to accept it due to EGO, RIGIDNESS or inconvenience caused by opponent which can be solved.
- Once its done, either both need to come to a common point with mutual understanding or
- whoever held is responsible for the birth of conflict he must apologize and compromise or
- If both are not willing to compromise then, let your director take a call and they must compensate the loss incurred by the organisation. Only then they will realize their mistake.
with profound regards

From India, Chennai
Cite Contribution

Dear Santosh,

There can no quick fix to change a culture, it takes a long drawn effort to ensure people think and thereby act differently.

Intra team rivalry stems from a fact that one's success is tied to other's downfall. Check the systems within the working functions that are facilitating such situations. Find out the bottle-necks in the work processes , where the teams come to a clash and find out how many ways can you reduce interdependencies. This would help balance the delivery of work.

In a team war, there are always few major players , few followers and the rest remain dormant . Identify the influencers and find out what are they using to incentivise intra team wars.

The influencers may not be the power centres, but the people who lend their timely inputs to the power centres. They know the emotional buttons for each and every player, hence can play around to initiate a desired response. Segregate the motives of each player. For few members it can be growth and autonomy . However, often an individual in an organisation feels safe by adhering to a group.

Once who have identified each and every motive , please chalk out a plan with actions that will address their fears and take care of their incentives , initiating the response that your firm needs. It will take time and patience . Managing culture is extremely sensitive.

Office politics , grapevine , intra-team wars are brick and mortal to any mid or a large sized firm. However, behaviours can always be modelled and redefined. Wish you all the best

From India, Mumbai
tatkare_finance2012@yahoo.in

Hello Ankita Mam and SHAIK ABDUL KHADIR Sir.
Thanks for the response.
I had talked with the Manager separately and his Subordinate separately.
According to Mr. Manager, his subordinate are lacking the basic knowledge and he expects them to read books and do the job, which I feel i not proper. It is the managers job to train his subordinate. Secondly, since his subordinate are working from past 4 years and i assume they already have the basics required for the job.
When i discussed the issue with the Subordinates, they feel that their Manager is not capable of doing job as his way of intraction and training is not good.
So yesterday i called three of them and asked theMr. manager to train them on one subject. This was my first step. Everyday the Manager and his subordinate will have to spare 2 hrs for training.
Do you thing this will work?
Thanks and Regards,
Santosh.

From India, Mumbai
Ankita1001

Hi Santosh,

As predicted, this is ego problems where

Manager finds his subordinate not enough knowledged... whereas subordinate thinks his manager is not efficient...

It is a common thing to have a difference of opinion and honestly by asking them to compulsarily spend 2 hrs in training, this may not help... they may spend the time together... but it might not decrease the tension between the two..

Instead do this -

Ask the manager, which areas he wants the subordinate to improve, suggest the medium that he can use to gain knowledge, prioritize the list of reading materials / knowledge to be gained, Ask if he could help in any way...

Again, on subordinate side, you need to make him realise that just coz we've worked for n no. of years don't mean we shudn't be reading... Most of ppl are at the top and are progressing coz dey've evolved with time... they know what's in market to enhance their skills.... if you know a,b,c you would be doing same work for all the years until you retire.... ask how are you going to add-on? sure experience teaches, but it just gives in-depth knowledge of what we already know... Just as experience is imp, so is experimenting... as the latter will give us more on our plate...

Explain to ur subordinate that just coz we're enrolling ourselves to hone our skills or expand our base, don't mean we are not worth, it just means, we are increasing our worth...

The ego clash has to be sensitively handled, ensure that they are able to understand each other's view point rather than just having spend a couple of hours together..

Hope it helped... :-)

From India, Mumbai
vinodbidwaik

Hi Santosh,
Most of the times, conflicts are due to mismatching the expectation. Another resoan is bad interpersonal reasons due to diffrent personalities. There are diffrent ego states and person respond to the cross ego states.
Please read my blogs on this, you may get some answers.
Vinod Bidwaik: Boss
Vinod Bidwaik: Coaching is like parenting and asking to eat bitter-gourd
Vinod Bidwaik: Inspirational leader! How you inspire your team?
Vinod Bidwaik: Oh... Expectations.....
Vinod Bidwaik: Oh boss, help me to stay here!
Regards,

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.