manoj.bharti

Hi, Good initiative....

Some More facts are here under:
  • About 22% of the earth's original forest coverage remains. Western Europe has lost 98% or so of its primary forests; Asia 94%; Africa 92%; Oceania 78%; North America 66%, and South America 54%. Approximately 45% of the world's tropical forests, originally covering 1.4 billion hectares, have disappeared in the last few decades. (taken from a Greenpeace website, but the figures are accurate to the best of our knowledge)
  • In 1950, rain forests covered about 14% of the earth's land surface. By 2001, this had diminished to 6%. Approximately half of the world's estimated 10 million species of life are believed to be found only in rain forests. The Amazon constitutes about 40% of the remaining rain forests, but it is disappearing at the rate of 7 football fields per minute - that's 20,000 km2 (7700 mi2) per year and increasing. From 1970 to 2000, an area the size of France or Texas was deforested by ranchers, farmers, loggers (mostly illegal), miners and developments of various kinds. The population of the Amazon is now over 20 million and rapidly increasing, since there is great poverty in Brazil, and the forest is seen as a vast area of land to be cleared and occupied.
  • In the famous Beatles song "Paper Back Writer", the French folk song "Frere Jaques" can be heard in the background several times - the Beatles took great pleasure in putting little "surprises" in their work - such as the inclusion of a Bach fugue in the tangle of tunes which follows Strawberry fields, and the deliscious double meanings in songs such as Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and A Day in the Life.
  • If anyone doubts the power and wealth of "Big Business" (trans-national giant companies which are more or less a law unto themselves these days), the raw figures speak for themselves. Of the 100 largest "economies" in the world, 53 are giant corporations. The other 47 are nation states (ie, countries.)
  • The record-breaking heat wave in Europe in the summer of 2003, killed an estimated 35,000 people. Temperatures reached 40 C (104 F) in many countries, and were far above normal for weeks.

From India, Calcutta
sirijennif

Good one Malini and Manoj.
Each king in a deck of playing cards represents great king from History. "Spades" - King David; "Clubs" - Alexander the Great; " Hearts" - Charlemagne; "Diamonds" - Julius Caesar.
siri

From India
maliniluky

1. Istanbul, Turkey is the only city in the world located on two continents
2. One out of 20 people have an extra rib
3.Every three days a human stomach gets a new lining
4.In 1873, Colgate made a toothpaste that was available in a jar
5.The typical lead pencil can draw a line that is thirty five miles long

From India, Madras
sirijennif

Good one Hima and Malini
Honey is the only food that doesn't spoil.
A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
A snail can sleep for three years.
Tomoro is a Holiday ...So catch u on Monday....Happy weekend.

From India
hima1

Welcome Siri....:icon1: Typing out your name reminds me... The DOT over the Letter ' i ' is called the TITLE !!!:icon1:
From India, Madras
sirijennif

Hi All,
Butterflies taste with their feet.
Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.
In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.
Hima, I didnt get you....:(, What reminds you when U write my name?
Siri

From India
hima1

LOL.. Siri!!! 'i' - When I typed ur name..!! There is 'i' in your name isn’t??:icon1::icon1::icon1:
From India, Madras
maliniluky

1. A zebra is white with black stripes
2. A hippopotamus can run faster than a man
3. 'Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia' is the fear of long words
4. Didaskaleinophobia is the fear of going to school
5. A snail can sleep for 3 years

From India, Madras
sirijennif

Hima :icon1::icon1::icon1:,
Good one Malini,:icon1:
1. TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.
2. Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
3. It is impossible to lick your elbow.
4. It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.
Siri

From India
maliniluky

1. Do you know the names of the three wise monkeys? They are: Mizaru (See no evil), Mikazaru (Hear no evil), and Mazaru (Say no evil ).
2. The national anthem of Greece has 158 verses
3. The smallest man ever was Gul Mohammed (1957-1997) of India, who measured 1 feet, 10? inches
4. Canada has more inland waters and lakes than any other country in the world
5. The pound key (#) on the keyboard is called an octothorpe
6. Tomato ketchup is a good conditioner for the hair. It also helps get the greenish tinge that some blonde haired people get after swimming in water with chlorine in it

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.