No Tags Found!

santoshkumarhr

Dear Gandhi,
Unlike CA's or ICWA's there is no central body that regulates the membership in this profession. This being an important position dealing with compliance of statutory requirements and keeping in mind the current employee turnover and recruitment scenario it is advisable to undergo MBA / PGDM course.There is no legal binding on companies to hire only MBA/PGDM qualified as HR Manager but, unless one has the theoritical knowledge they would fail to bring in HR interventions in the organization. Also, they would not be able to understand the Jargons (Technical Words) associated with the profession leave alone the process of implementing it.
Hence I believe an MBA or PGDM must be made mandatory for anyone who can be promoted as / wants to work as HR Manager.
Regards,
Santosh.

Sanjeev.Himachali

Dear All

These days, the competition is so high that you will not be able to grow, if you are not Post Graduate or Master’s. Recently we had one debate on the Importance of Your Mode or Education.

Many people are of the view that Candidates with Distance Mode of Education are not getting similar weightage as their counterparts with regular MBA.

People also argued that those who have done their MBA through regular mode of education are less experienced and knowledgeable then their counterparts with Distance Mode of Education. People with distance mode of education are feeling ignored and neglected and their argument is that they are not getting fair treatment from the employers.

So, first thing first, in this fast paced world and cut throat competition, no company like to take any chance or experiment with the talent. The order of preference that is followed in many companies at the type of screening is as follows:

1) Full Time MBA's from Good Institutes...with good CGPA and relevant experience.

2) Full Time MBA's from not so good institute but with good percentage and slightly more experience.

3) Correspondence MBA...from Good Institutes (Like Executive MBA's from top institutes)...with good experience.

4) Then comes...Correspondence MBA...from other institutes.

Secondly, here I am making an attempt to clarify as why regular MBA’s get more weightage then those with distance mode of education? So, doing MBA is not about knowledge. It is about Grooming. It is about

1. Building Leadership Skills;

2. Strategizing the goals and vision

3. Building Entrepreneurship

4. Planning Business Models

5. Planning Strategies

6. Planning Profits

7. Risk Taking

8. Time Management

9. Handling Finances and other related things

Other factors that are in favor of regular MBA’s are:

1. Entrance Exam

2. Cost and

3. Other little sacrifices

Most of the people, if they want to get an admission into a good Management Institute, need to face an entrance such as CAT; XAT; GRE; TOFEL etc. Such entrance exams are followed by Group Discussions, Presentations and personal interviews. That shows the competitiveness in those people. Not many institutes, offering MBA through Correspondence or Distance Mode of Education have such an exhaustive mode of selection.

Two Years, regular full-Time MBA Courses are much costlier than correspondence or Distance MBA.

Lastly, those people who do their MBA in a regular mode make more personal sacrifices than those with correspondence or Distance MBA.

I have made an attempt to explain why people with regular MBA get preference over those with correspondence or Distance MBA. Let me take an example from day-to-day life. When you like to eat out, where you like to go? Don't you get advices from your elders in the family to eat at a decent place and Hygienic place?? Will you take your food or lunch at a road-side shops or unclean restaurants?

It is not that all 5-star hotels cook good food, they also make errors but chances are less. It is not that all small hotels are unhygienic or cook unhealthy food but chances are more.

It is not that those small hotels or restaurants are not doing any business. They are earning well. There are chances that one day some good and rich person will come to one of those hotels and will eat there. He might like the food and might get so impressed to do business with that hotel guy. He and might sponsor him to change his shop to a nice place by financing him. Until then, he needs to wait.

Selection process of a “Human Capital” in this competitive era of Business Environment is very much similar to selecting a Greeting Card from the Gift Shop. You don’t need to go and see all the cards. Do you? Go to the section where you can find your type of cards; Look at the cost or range; Then you consider as for whom you want to buy the card therefore look and appearance of the card is important; then comes the content of the card. The other cards…that you didn't even saw…don’t feel neglected, because they know that if they are in the Gift Shop then one day someone will surely come and pick them

Same way, those with distance education or correspondence MBA... need to wait for the right time and right opportunity. They don't need to get frustrated or be impatience. Have patience. Wait for the right opportunity. Don't try to jump...immediately after the completion of your Correspondence MBA but continues with the same company...grow within. It will help.

I hope this will help many.

Regards

Sanjeev Sharma

(Blog: http://sanjeevhimachali.blogspot.com/)

From India, Mumbai
kvmksrinivas

Hi all

I perceive the situation in two ways:

1. An age old professional (i mean before the advent of the HR stragegies) who is normally a typical Personnel & IR Manager use to deal with personnel as a Survelliance Master and use to commend lot of respect & a nightmarish personality in many minds. Human touch was regarded as a last a tool of strategy as they used to do with Unions & other Bi-partite forums or a group of enraged mob agigating against management. They were all ofcourse qualified some MA(IRPM), MSW, MA(Industrial Psychlogy) etc., when these Pers.Mgrs. became HR managers, continos training to transform their personalities from IR to that of Core HR have yielded poor results as their expertise is with dealing with Iron Hand and intrepretatin of Rules/Policies. Ofcourse the no. of such personnel almost replaced/faded away over their aging. The fact that remains is they were all qualified atleast with a LLB or Dip. in Labour Laws etc., They may not be conversant with making PPTs and symposiums as we do today.

2. The other category is fresh cream coming out from B-schools and other professionally managed Mgmt. schools wherein the concepts of Management is practically taught by Case Study, Role Play, Inbasket exercises, Planned Interventions, HR STrategies, Industrial visits, Benchmarking experience sharing, Group discussions, PPT presentations, Gropu discussions, Pscymatics, IT specialities which are supposed to have been dealt at a great deal making these pass outs suitable for the opportunities that wait for them. Contrary to this, any body doing fake MBA and PGDBMs can only gain a paper of certification without really into the subject. But we must accept that the objective study of these MBAs and Mgmt. Graduates gives rise to their career prospects and they prove their mettle within a short span. They clarity on the issues will be surely higher than a non-qualified or less-qualified graduate. Contrary to this belief, if anybody performs at par or superior to these guys, needs a pat/consieration from management but surely not undermining the capabilities of the Fresh MBAs as I mentioned above.

Yeah... I do agree any MBA/PGDBM does not confer right to be a true HR manager, other personality traits and exposure as our friends have put in are to be fulfilled to really fit in to the shoes of a HR manager.

Hope this clarifies and I invite comments from other members.

Have a great day.

Srinivaskvmk

From India, Hyderabad
prince143
hi friend.though a huge difference in practical work and theoritical work but still there is need of education. when someone without mba get a post by 10 yrs the guy with mba can get that post may be within 3-4yrs.isn't it? so there is always a need of edu. without mba man cannot perform upto that level wt a mba does. why anil ambani did mba? why ratan tata did mba at 52.
From India, Bhubaneswar
Deepali Gulati

Hi Sunayana,
You are currently working with a recuritment comapny. And i ahve also worked with one.
By my experince i n Recuritment Consultancy, i can share the following views.
1. If a person is having a relevant experince in the same industry and same field and a performaer, he will defenitley have a hand on an MBA fresher.
2. Big Comapnies like relinace, Star TV, Quark etc. gives preference to relevant experience.
2. A person who is bookworm can not share the practical experinces which in turns give no result to the company.
Education is must but relevant experince defintley comes first.
Deepali

From India, Chandigarh
Randi

Hi
Of cause education matters but my experience is that experience, personality and attitude is much more important. In India there is a high focus on the "right" educational institutes but I can say that I rarely look at it that much and in the European MNC I work for we do not have any standards for required educational background.
And seriously if I had a person with 10 years of experience and a MBA freshener I would not think 2 seconds before I hired the experienced person. An MBA can never cover for 10 years of experience. An MBA is more or less made on a school bench which of cause will give you great idea about the industry etc. but the real life is not there. Of cause if I was choosing between a MBA and a BA freshener I would choose the MBA - education is important and it gives you a great starting point.

From India, Delhi
Sanjeev.Himachali

Deepali...I think there is a conflict. Doing MBA is not about studying (Being Book Warms) it is beyond that. Doing MBA is not about knowledge. It is about Grooming. It is about

1. Building Leadership Skills;

2. Strategizing the goals and vision

3. Building Entrepreneurship

4. Planning Business Models

5. Planning Strategies

6. Planning Profits

7. Risk Taking

8. Time Management

9. Handling Finances and other related things

These are the things people cannot learn on their own.

Other factors that are in favor of regular MBA’s are:

1. Entrance Exam

2. Cost and

3. Other little sacrifices

Most of the people, if they want to get an admission into a good Management Institute, need to face an entrance such as CAT; XAT; GRE; TOFEL etc. Such entrance exams are followed by Group Discussions, Presentations and personal interviews. That shows the competitiveness in those people. Not many institutes, offering MBA through Correspondence or Distance Mode of Education have such an exhaustive mode of selection.

Yes, without MBA (in fact Without Regular MBA) one can get job...can also grow to certain level in hierarchy but after that it get stagnant.

I hope this will help.

Regards

Sanjeev Sharma

From India, Mumbai
Sonia Kakkar

hi,
agree with your point. but to tell you from my experience of 3 companies. when ever companies go to campus they definitely want some standard institutes which match there profile. other case is if you enter a organization without holding degree/ diploma, but is quite willing to understand and ready to learn. the organization will swipe u. as this has happen with with me and 3 of my other colleagues. also to tell u that right now i am working in top 3rd IT company in India. There i have seen lots of employees who doesn't have an HR, other support degree but there are around 40 people working in such a category as support staff and performing very well. even the company is happy. A degree/ diploma will only help you to learn theory, but if you are ready for the live experience companies will definitely take you.

From India, Pune
Randi

Hi

Just to comment on the always ongoing debate regarding full time MBA's and correspondence.

As a HR Manager I really dont care how much it has cost you, how many "personally sacrifices" you have made etc. I care about what you can perform. I have had people here for interviews with correspondence MBA's that have been brilliant and full time MBA's (also from great institutes) that have had such an attitude problem that I would simply not hire them.

We need to focus on performance more than the right institute, the right education etc. My biggest problem working for a MNC is to find the right attitude, good communication skills and great interpersonal skills. Of cause we also have to be fair and say that your chance of showing us your skills in this concern is greater when you have an full time MBA from a good institute, but when I am looking for a person for my HR team I try not to look into the educational background. Then I call people for a short phone interview and if they seem to have the right skills I will ask about their educational background and even more important experience.

Again if you have good experience and an correspond MBA you will have a better chance with me than a freshener with full time MBA

From India, Delhi
Randi

This I simply do not agree with - hopefully everybody today understands that getting a job is NOT the end of learning. You will need to keep yourself updated through all your life and what you learned at the age of 20 will not be so up to date when you are 40! Even with a MBA you will need to take training and courses for the rest of your life.
If a company only promote people from what educational background they have I would personally choose not to work there. I do myself have an MBA but I want to be promoted because of my performance not from my educational background.

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.