sskalra

Hi Vrishi
Sry... I missed your comment.
Thanks for the compliment.
Actually, these motivation theories relate to livelihood in their first stage... Maslow's need hierarcy- basic needs or physical needs. Then all social, emotional, esteem and self actualisation needs trigger...
I think the theories still hold good
cheers
saurabh

From India, New Delhi
samvedan

Hi,

Sorry to join the discussion rather late. I was out of circulation.

As practices give rise to theories and as theories lead to practices, one must see the inevitability of the connection. When one observes "what works", one tends to use the method often and in due course it becomes a theory. Those who do not have not the benefit of observing the cause abd effect relations between the stimulus and the response, accept the given theory in the belief that if it has worked for some, it will work for me too.

Each one is entitled to hold rigid individual opinions on any and all matters and that will not change the reality.

Using "money" as motivator, to me, appears like bribing your way through as it it often does not care for human dignity since people may work out of compulsion to generate additional money for them. Just as Overtime leads to many undesirable practices over a period of time, if it is left unchecked, the money motivator. at an obsession level will also back fire! Used moderately, it works for short time.

In the ultimate analysis, one needs to preserve the human dignity, the pride in overcoming work challenges. The meaningful work is the real motivator! The money kills the joy of working. It may bring more money to the individual but I am afraid, will not be able to generate happiness, pride and a feeling of untarnished achievement. That is why there is a world of difference between the soldiers who fight wars for the sake of the country and the merceneries who also fight wars (only for money!) One works for the honour of the country and the other does not give a damn if he causes a victory or a defeat!!

One's statements bear out his experience/s. There may be nothing invalid about these when looked at from his point of view. BUT to deny validity to other theories and approaches is being less than fair. One swallow does not make winter!

Regards

samvedan

November 8, 2006

From India, Pune
sskalra

True!! Well Said!! Excess of anything is bad!! Awsome analogy indeed!! Its all about the atitude towards work. In a nutshell, I agree with you cheers Saurabh
From India, New Delhi
govind

Dear All,
It is very complex issue. Various factors motivate a person. The person in question at this moment is in extreme need for money which will provide him motivation. Please understand his predicament and proceed to handle accordingly the situation.
However by and large Maslow and other theories confirm what we know by commonsense all these years in India
Best of Luck
Govind
Coach & HR Consultant
+91 98338 90250

archnahr

Thank you Mr Samvedan.
How wonderfully you have written down your thoughts.
I really believe in what you say, but I could not do justice to what I has in mind.
I'm completly satisfied with your answer and would try to counsel that person with your thoughts now.
Thank you once again.
Regards,
Archna

From India, Delhi
ajaybhasin
Hi
I believe that Maslow theory is the only solution when he will satisfy his social need then his motivator will be others.
Similarly in the self actualization state the needs become totally different
Ajay Bhasin :lol:

jacob nidhin

hi archana,
the motivation theories valid in the world today is the vrooms expectancy theory and adams equity theory......
"money is everything buts not everything ".. you cant reject that ppoint completey....
i think what the mico krish (who is hr professor for me ), you can go through his post ...... abt the relevancy of motivational theries in present days.....

From India
vrishi

Hi jacob
u r absolutely right
equity theory: if i see my coworker who puts in the same effort as me , getting paid more, i will be demotivated
vrooms expectancy theory: seeing the rewards i work or put in positive reinforcement.........lovely theory
Regards

From India
shijee

In my case i have alwez looked out for a career in HR and was very keen in getting into this line. I thought it was much difficult for me to change to this line as at entry level the salaries paid in this line are quite low and i was drawing good enuf when i was working in a BPO... at that time what was imp to me was d job satisfaction and i took a decision to quit the job and try out for a HR job..and now i am into it. This job gives me lot of pressure as i am the only person in HR department as of now..and the salary paid to me is less than what i used to draw before..but what matters to me is the job satisfaction....and i feel that for most of the ppl at some point of time it wud be the job satisfaction that wud matter and not money alwez....infact i personally feel that in females an urge for job satisfaction is more rather than any monetary satisfaction...ofcourse it might me bacause their's wud b an alternative income in the family...however...i conclude that the motivational levels in an individual keep changing depending on the situations....what say u??
From India, Ahmadabad
archnahr

Hey Guys,
Wow the topic is heating up again.
JAcob and Shijee, I agree with both of you completely.
According to me also, MONEY is a motivator but for sometime, at different levels of age we expect something else from our respective companies.
Keep posting oyur views guys, that makes the discussion more enjoyable.
Cheers
Archna

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.