Anonymous
Hi All, I need your expert advice on below subject matter-

There is one senior team member who joined us in the month of December- 2022.
She conveyed her pregnancy to us in the month of July and applied for maternity leave on 16th September.

I want to know whether that employee is eligible for paid maternity leave.

From India, Mumbai
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi, Yes. She is eligible for Maternity benefit.
From India, Madras
Madhu.T.K

There are two questions often asked in such situations. One, whether the employee has worked for 80 days immediately preceding the expected date of delivery? and two, whether this 80 days is in the 12 months immediately preceding the expected date of delivery? The answer to the first question would be YES but the answer to the second question need not be positive. Suppose that you have an employee who joined the company some five years back. She applies for maternity leave now but absents herself from work and it is expected that she may not complete 80 days in 12 months immediately preceding the expected date of delivery. She can be denied maternity leave because she has not worked for 80 days in the 12 months immediately preceding the expected date of delivery. If you narrate the same principle to one who has joined, say, some six months back, she cannot demand the leave as a right. Coming to a situation where the employee is covered by ESI, the employee would get the benefits only if she has contributed to certain number of days (70 days) in TWO consecutive contribution periods (of six months each). There it is one year specific.

My observation and interpretation of law may be wrong but I take it because there seems to be no relevance to "in 12 months immediately preceding..." in the Act if we just take 80 days working (that too including holidays etc)

From India, Kannur
rkn61

Eligibility criterion for any woman employee, who is pregnant, will be eligible to apply maternity leave if she has worked for minimum 80 days in the preceding 12 month.So, in this case, she is eligible for maternity leave, with full salary .
From India, Aizawl
Madhu.T.K

What is the significance of "in 12 months"?

Can't it be interpreted as there should be 80 days in 12 months immediately preceding the date of delivery?

Had it been the objective to give maternity leave to employees who have worked for 80 days immediately preceding the date of delivery section 5 (2) should have been like:
"No woman shall be entitled to maternity benefit unless she has actually worked in an establishment of the employer from whom she claims maternity benefit for a period of not less than eighty days immediately preceding the date of her expected delivery"

But section 5(2) of the Act says:

"No woman shall be entitled to maternity benefit unless she has actually worked in an establishment of the employer from whom she claims maternity benefit for a period of not less than eighty days in the twelve months immediately preceding the date of her expected delivery"

That means (as I understand) there should be twelve months service before the child birth and during this 12 months the employee should have worked at least for 80 days. That means maternity leave can be refused to an employee who has joined some three or five years back but has not worked for 80 days in 12 months immediately preceding the date of delivery.

From India, Kannur
rkn61

section 5(2) of the Act says:

"No woman shall be entitled to maternity benefit unless she has actually worked in an establishment of the employer from whom she claims maternity benefit for a period of not less than eighty days in the twelve months immediately preceding the date of her expected delivery".

Madhu sir - I have read the interpretation. However, What I understood in the law is that, a law can draw "a "lakshman rekha" within which we can treat the case. Here, Section 5(2) of the Act says ""No woman shall be entitled to maternity benefit unless she has actually worked in an establishment of the employer from whom she claims maternity benefit for a period of not less than eighty days in the twelve months immediately preceding the date of her expected delivery". which means (to me) she should have worked for atleast 80 days in the preceeding 12 months from the date of her expected delivery. Act does not say about - what will happen if she worked for more days? (2) Act does not say - what will happen if she worked for more than 80 days in less than 12 months, preceeding the date of her expected delivery..

Hence MB Act gave a broader view point for granting MB Leave (Kindly correct me, if I am wrong)

From India, Aizawl
Madhu.T.K

You are right it is not less than 80 days and, therefore, there can be any more days. But my interpretation about "in the 12 months preceding..." is to be read along with the same provision in the ESI Act where it is two consecutive contribution periods, or one year.

This matter was posted by me in various forums and before the Labour officers but everybody says that it is only 80 days without relevance to 12 months. Even in the new labour Codes we can see the same wording (The New Codes are just old wines in the new Bottle, per se, and there are sentences just copied from the principal Acts and pasted therein)

From India, Kannur
rkn61

Madhu sir - regarding the question of 'preceeding 12 months', it is felt that our senior, Shri Umakanthan sir can share his erudite reply. Thank you.
From India, Aizawl
Madhu.T.K

Certainty, he will be able to give us a proper interpretation.
From India, Kannur
raghunath_bv

Hi Usha,

Whether an employee is eligible for paid maternity leave depends on the specific policies and laws of the company she is working for.

There are legal provisions for maternity leave, which may include paid leave. However, the details can vary widely. Some companies offer paid maternity leave as a statutory benefit, while others may not have specific provisions for paid leave, or it may be at the discretion of the employer.

In addition to legal requirements, many companies have their own policies regarding maternity leave. These policies may provide additional benefits beyond what is required by law.

To determine if this employee is eligible for paid maternity leave, you will need to:

Check the Legal Requirements: Look into the labour laws and regulations of your jurisdiction to find out what they say about maternity leave. This will be the minimum requirement.

Review Company Policies: Consult your company's HR department or review the employee handbook to understand the specific maternity leave policies that your company has in place.

Calculate Eligibility: Based on the legal requirements and company policies, calculate whether the employee meets the eligibility criteria for paid maternity leave.

Keep in mind that the fact that the team member joined in December 2022 may have some impact on her eligibility depending on the specific policies in place, but it's not necessarily a barrier to eligibility.

It's important to look in to Company's HR policy or Employee Hand book of your company for accurate and up-to-date information regarding maternity leave eligibility and benefits.
Regards,

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.